Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

When does the ground thaw?

When does the ground thaw?

Old Apr 17th 2008, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute
Default When does the ground thaw?

This might seem like a dumb question, but the tarp on our pool kind of fell into the pool during the winter. When it was warm on the weekend we managed to pull it back out and put the water bags on the edge.

However, as a result of it lying in the pool water I have lots and lots of water on top of the tarp. My husband says not to pump the water off until the ground thaws or else it will just run straight off into the alley, instead of into the lawn.

He says the ground is still frozen. I bought some of those cheap lawn arches and I have stuck them into the ground and the legs went in maybe six inches at least.

Does anyone know how far down the ground freezes in winter in a place where its as cold as it is here - and how long before it thaws enough that water will soak into the lawn and not run off?
Old Apr 17th 2008, 1:07 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When does the ground thaw?

For what it's worth, here in Calgary we turn on our underground sprinkler system during the first weekend of May. That`s what underground sprinkler companies have told us to do. I think the timing of that is related to the thawing of the ground.
x
Old Apr 17th 2008, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When does the ground thaw?

Oh OK - thanks - I can probably wait that long - hopefully no mosquitos will have hatched in all that water by then!