Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

When did your relationship with UK friends and family start to fade

When did your relationship with UK friends and family start to fade

Old May 3rd 2017, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When did your relationship with UK friends and family start to fade

Originally Posted by becks_r
I do understand going to Disney for kids if that is all you want to do and you had no family in more interesting places to visit. But if my brother had been in Ontario, with a boat, with all the lovely places to visit there, I would have taken kids of mine just to visit brother and ignore Disney. BTW - just looked up Peterborough on map, almost opposite where I live. So I know there are great places to visit, even if I don't actually live in Canada

DBD33 - I understand why you dont get it, as you have lived in Canada for a long time, and not happy living here, I am and i want to share what has made me happy with my family. I know why my sister wants (wanted) to combine it with Disney - is for the kids, However I know i could show my nephews a way better time than disney world. If we still want to fit in a them park then there is Canada's wonderland for a day - better than anything the UK can offer theme park wise. As Becks R says - its not about the destination its about making new family memories and sharing the place i now call home.

Becks_r - You definitely get where i am coming from, its about visiting me not the place so much - however i know we could enjoy both in the place where i live, and I know my sister and nephews well enough to know that they would have a whale of time, Disney world not required at all.
Old May 3rd 2017, 9:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
DBD33 - I understand why you dont get it, as you have lived in Canada for a long time, and not happy living here, I am and i want to share what has made me happy with my family.
I'm glad you're happy with it but I don't think it sells as a holiday because it's not different enough from what people have at home; if they want to be in a boat they can go to Norfolk. On holiday people want heat, scenery, experiences. Disney is, for people who like it, a blockbuster experience.
Old May 3rd 2017, 9:30 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried sending them info/links to some of the 'things to do' that the kids would enjoy, such as Wonderland; Toronto Zoo; Ontario Science Centre; Legoland Vaughan; Treewalk Village and Niagara Falls? Perhaps if they actually saw that there were things of interest for the kids - quite apart from seeing their Uncle, going to a cottage and out on a boat - they may be more interested in coming to Canada rather than fixating on Disney? Do they have any idea of the cost of Disney - and getting there from Canada?

I still think your idea of having the nephews over is a great one, by the way...

Old May 3rd 2017, 10:13 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute

Or another idea is the sister and family go to Disney and then the nephews fly to Canada instead of home. With those long summer holidays to fill, I am sure the boys would like the extra weeks somewhere other than home
Old May 3rd 2017, 10:52 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by becks_r
Or another idea is the sister and family go to Disney and then the nephews fly to Canada instead of home. With those long summer holidays to fill, I am sure the boys would like the extra weeks somewhere other than home

Ohhh good thinking!!
Old May 4th 2017, 12:09 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Some of our friends ditched us before we even moved, they were so annoyed we were going. Others I try my hardest to keep in touch with but it always seems to be me making the effort. Even if FB is the only way I have noticed that I seem to follow their life more than they do mine.
Been back 3 times in 6 years and made sure I saw everyone which was great and they all said that they loved seeing me and they are "terrible at staying in touch,whilst I am so good at it" but eventually you start to wonder if you should just stop trying so hard.

I do think for some it is jealousy, others are just not invested in maintaining relationships outside their day to day bubble.
Old May 4th 2017, 12:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I would have killed for someone to offer to take my kids for a couple of weeks in the summer! Yay! Have them! 😉

A few years ago, we flew home for my brother in laws 40th party (and had a holiday). Early in the evening my hubby was standing around chatting to another of his brothers (who I don't think has really ever forgiven him for leaving, nor understood why he might want to). There was yet another invitation to all of them to come and visit us. "Why would I want to go to Canada?" was the response. It took all my withered jet-lagged energy not to retort "Cos your f***ing brother lives there"

Things cooled after that and we never invited them again.

Those that have visited have, funnily enough, have remained our closest friends and contacts. Chicken and egg. Or were they our better mates in the first place and that's why they visited?
Old May 4th 2017, 2:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget many British are inclined to be very insular, "abroad" is just for weather, cheap booze etc!
Old May 4th 2017, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Some of our friends ditched us before we even moved, they were so annoyed we were going. Others I try my hardest to keep in touch with but it always seems to be me making the effort. Even if FB is the only way I have noticed that I seem to follow their life more than they do mine.
Been back 3 times in 6 years and made sure I saw everyone which was great and they all said that they loved seeing me and they are "terrible at staying in touch,whilst I am so good at it" but eventually you start to wonder if you should just stop trying so hard.

I do think for some it is jealousy, others are just not invested in maintaining relationships outside their day to day bubble.
Just so you know, although we ditched you, still love you 😍❤️😘
Old May 4th 2017, 3:17 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Just so you know, although we ditched you, still love you 😍❤️😘
Likewise.
Besides. I dont feel ditched by you at all. You are still very much in my life
Old May 4th 2017, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

I would say after the first year...the wifes only relative (sister) came out a year after we left to look around but as we lived in Scotland and she lived in south England(after coming out of"army life') they phone /facebook monthly.....NOw myself ,just my old mum left and we phone every sunday she came out to visit after dad died but insurance now stops her visiting.... and my younger brother and his family(all teachers etc) we talk every xmas more or less the same as when in the uk(nothing in common sad to say). As for friends a couple o my 40yr friends have made it ower ,one o them 4times for Sturgis but unfortunately one has passed on and the other is terminal so it looks like its all ower for visitors for us worst luck. We have a lot of old colleages on facebook but usually to much going on in their lives or broke
Old May 4th 2017, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamesmc
I would say after the first year...the wifes only relative (sister) came out a year after we left to look around but as we lived in Scotland and she lived in south England(after coming out of"army life') they phone /facebook monthly.....NOw myself ,just my old mum left and we phone every sunday she came out to visit after dad died but insurance now stops her visiting.... and my younger brother and his family(all teachers etc) we talk every xmas more or less the same as when in the uk(nothing in common sad to say). As for friends a couple o my 40yr friends have made it ower ,one o them 4times for Sturgis but unfortunately one has passed on and the other is terminal so it looks like its all ower for visitors for us worst luck. We have a lot of old colleages on facebook but usually to much going on in their lives or broke
Is s/he is motorcycle fan?
Old May 4th 2017, 4:07 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute

I think if we lived somewhere nearer an international airport hub, like if we lived in New York, friends would be more likely to visit. But then again, maybe they still wouldn't visit.

I also think that even if I offered to pay the airfare, they would still say no. Not that I can afford to do that, although if I had some spare airmiles, I might offer them to someone. But then if I had spare airmiles, I would probably use them for me and hubby to go to Italy or somewhere like that.

I feel I just need to do what is right for me and my family and if some friends and family finally get over for a visit, I will be pleased to see them. If they never do, well I feel it is their loss... Waste of making sure I have a spare bedroom though!!
Old May 4th 2017, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Is s/he is motorcycle fan?
a "little" hehe ,builds choppers back in Scotland (when hes not working) was in iron horse, backstreet heroes back in the day.Was asked to go back to play bagpipes at "buffalo???" campground. He was working in MB till a cancer scare (thorax) when he went back to Scotland ,recovered then this year tumours on his spine terminal.we were hoping to go to a east coast USA show to celebrate him being a year free but not to be.
Old May 4th 2017, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Have you tried sending them info/links to some of the 'things to do' that the kids would enjoy, such as Wonderland; Toronto Zoo; Ontario Science Centre; Legoland Vaughan; Treewalk Village and Niagara Falls? Perhaps if they actually saw that there were things of interest for the kids - quite apart from seeing their Uncle, going to a cottage and out on a boat - they may be more interested in coming to Canada rather than fixating on Disney? Do they have any idea of the cost of Disney - and getting there from Canada?

I still think your idea of having the nephews over is a great one, by the way...

I haven’t actually sent links to me sister on things to do as she and my bro in law have never talked about doing it with any interest, if they showed the slightest interest I would have done, ive sent pictures of places Ive been, but not so much on the kids stuff, as I feel id eventually get the “oh stop going on about it” type reply, so I was hoping they would have asked me about stuff, but they never have.

Ive sent my eldest nephew pictures of things id know he would like (as he has his own cell phone now) and he said "oh that looks so cool - i wish i could come and visit" i just said maybe in the future you can, he just "i hope so".

Last year when I was over there I formed a very good bond with them both, so to me that’s where my future family connection lies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.