What's your luxury?

Old Mar 23rd 2018, 11:22 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's your luxury?

Originally Posted by dbd33
It is. It's one of the things my ex brings from Switzerland. That and Cailler wrappers (to make it clear that she hasn't forgotten how much I like the chocolate and that she hasn't brought any).
I dont get the swiss chocolate thing. I find it a weak slightly fake tasting product compared with the real thing. The belgians make better chocolates but that sort of isnt about the chocolate itself, its about fusions of flavour texture etc.

Pure chocolate is a complex product that requires careful processing handling and storage, it isnt made well by huge corporations who cant be bothered and dont want the costs to do it properly, but it is - by artisans who do. EG did you realise that the taste is quite volatile. It changes quite a lot over a few months as it ages. If you reduce the cocoa content these changes are a lot less noticeable and of course its cheaper to make.....
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 11:52 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
I dont get the swiss chocolate thing.
I do. I'm blessed in enjoying both Swiss and Belgian chocolate. Also Cadbury's (from/in the UK). I had some local chocolate in Australia and liked that too. I don't eat the American chocolate sold here but otherwise I'm an equal opportunity chocolate glutton, I don't need my bars to be rolled on the thighs of Belgian virgins.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 12:00 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I do. I'm blessed in enjoying both Swiss and Belgian chocolate. Also Cadbury's (from/in the UK). I had some local chocolate in Australia and liked that too. I don't eat the American chocolate sold here but otherwise I'm an equal opportunity chocolate glutton, I don't need my bars to be rolled on the thighs of Belgian virgins.
What's your cocoa-loading preference? I like it dark, within reason. I tried some 98% stuff a couple of years ago. Inedible. Like a mouthful of quinine.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 12:05 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
I dont get the swiss chocolate thing. I find it a weak slightly fake tasting product compared with the real thing. The belgians make better chocolates but that sort of isnt about the chocolate itself, its about fusions of flavour texture etc.

Pure chocolate is a complex product that requires careful processing handling and storage, it isnt made well by huge corporations who cant be bothered and dont want the costs to do it properly, but it is - by artisans who do. EG did you realise that the taste is quite volatile. It changes quite a lot over a few months as it ages. If you reduce the cocoa content these changes are a lot less noticeable and of course its cheaper to make.....
Surely taste is individual?

I find the commercial Swiss chocolate (Lindt, etc.) excellent, and prefer it to the Belgian commercial and artisian stuff. Normally choose 70% or 85% content.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 12:07 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
What's your cocoa-loading preference? I like it dark, within reason. I tried some 98% stuff a couple of years ago. Inedible. Like a mouthful of quinine.
I've had 99% and 100% and also find it too much. 90% I can handle, but it lacks texture and sweetness. I find 85% is the best balance of cocoa and sugar.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 12:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Based on supermarket bars, just under 70% I suppose. I can't say I've ever thought about it but the 90% bars certainly have more than I prefer.

I don't just eat dark chocolate though. As noted above, I'm happy to gobble a broad range of chocolate products. No tin of Quality Street can be preserved in our house.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 1:26 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

There’s the distinction between pure chocolate and chocolate related products. Chocolate related ie Belgian choccies or their imitators are ok but the pure product i am a lot more demanding of. Clearly, cocoa is a tropical product. It is sweated fermented and polished in the tropics then exported or made into local products. Like wine it varies a lot depending on who grew it where and how it was processed hence the - I don’t get why anyone would rate Swiss or Belgian pure chocolate. Cadbury’s made in Poland stuff isn’t even allowed to be called chocolate outside the uk as they remove the cocoa butter and add vegetable fat.

IMHO the thing all chocolate lovers need to try is cocoa tea. That’s not drinking chocolate , it’s the roasted ground cocoa beans boiled for a few minutes in water then add milk and usually bay leaf and cardamon, some add chilli. With all the cocoa butter intact and fresh cocoa beans this is the most intense form of chocolate flavour. In Europe, conching always reduces the cocoa butter, and the normal use of emulsifiers damages the taste. The smooth mouth feel is really the result of over conching and the addition of other ingredients including poorer beans from mainly africa.

NB the closest you can get to cocoa tea in Europe is to take some green and blacks organic cocoa powder (not drinking chocolate) and treat it like cocoa tea.

Last edited by uk_grenada; Mar 23rd 2018 at 1:30 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 2:00 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm blessed with shuttling between home and soon to be new home, so I get the best of both worlds.

As a household (a quaint way of saying that I'm surrounded by chocoholics) we don't have a preference between Swiss and Belgian. Although, I don't generally eat what is often termed 'milk' chocolate - Cadburys for example - I will happily indulge in artisanal 'milk' chocolate when in Belgium, but not here.

And no, I'm not going to go for the somewhat obvious thigh trap...

Originally Posted by Shard
I've had 99% and 100% and also find it too much. 90% I can handle, but it lacks texture and sweetness. I find 85% is the best balance of cocoa and sugar.
Couldn't agree more. Supermarkets here pushed out some of the higher cocoa factor bars a couple of years ago, but they seem to have disappeared, thankfully leaving the 85% as king of the shelves.

Can't remember which brand, but there's one of the big players here doing a yummy dark bar with flecks of salt. I've put it on the shopping list...
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 2:15 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
I'm blessed with shuttling between home and soon to be new home, so I get the best of both worlds.

As a household (a quaint way of saying that I'm surrounded by chocoholics) we don't have a preference between Swiss and Belgian. Although, I don't generally eat what is often termed 'milk' chocolate - Cadburys for example - I will happily indulge in artisanal 'milk' chocolate when in Belgium, but not here.

And no, I'm not going to go for the somewhat obvious thigh trap...

Couldn't agree more. Supermarkets here pushed out some of the higher cocoa factor bars a couple of years ago, but they seem to have disappeared, thankfully leaving the 85% as king of the shelves.

Can't remember which brand, but there's one of the big players here doing a yummy dark bar with flecks of salt. I've put it on the shopping list...
It's Lindt. Very yummy, as is the chili one.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 2:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

It's Lindt. Very yummy, as is the chili one.
Chili, yes. Salt, no.

Back with Swiss delicacies, do they still sell Select? I thought them luxurious long ago.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 2:44 pm
Slob

Chili, yes. Salt, no.

Back with Swiss delicacies, do they still sell Select? I thought them luxurious long ago.
You would be surprised at the salt one. It's very nice.

I suspect that Select is now called Excellence.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 3:18 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Are you one of those weirdos that puts jam and cheese together?

Was that before bacon and ice cream or after?

I have a pot of fig cabernet jam and the label says have it with cheese. I can't bring myself to do it.
Cheese and jam? Why yes. Cheese and mango chutney sandwiches are even better.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

MelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pica
Linen is really grippy
Yep. A heavy cotton or linen weave does not give rise to slippage problems. Laundering king size sheets of that kind can present some challenges (I send it out, and it comes back washed - and - ironed). The ultimate in luxury!
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 3:37 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by bats
Quite like grated cheddar on marmalade toast, actually.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 5:18 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201

Which one???
The Mountain Rd one.

Since you mentioned it I checked out the VH one several times, up and down 2 or 3 times. Never saw it.

I gave up looking but I was wandering along the cheese counter looking for Mahón from Menorca and I saw the jar.

It was the one bright spot and made up for half a dozen things I had to complain about. That store is terrible for running out of things and getting the price wrong. Or applying an unadvertised limit on how many whatevers per customer. But it's the first time I've seen three big freezers all empty with no indication of being out of order or currently being filled.

Originally Posted by bats
Ah, well, chutney and pickle, yes.

Originally Posted by Shard
Quite like grated cheddar on marmalade toast, actually.
Hmmm...might try that. Do you put it back under the grill?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.