Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What you can't get in Canada

What you can't get in Canada

Old Oct 3rd 2007, 6:29 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What you can't get in Canada

Originally Posted by iaink
Trust me The PC "just peanuts" smooth is far superior to the above named brands.

We ended up subbing blackcurrant jam...it was OK, but not the same at all.
now, see, there's the problem, right there in bold red type. Smooth peanut butter just won't do at all. Has to have bits in, or His Highness complains "but it's not crunchy enough, I can't bite it." (go figure....). Still, we reckon if the crunchy bits in the PB means he also eats all the crusts of his toast, it's gotta be worth it!

I think we've tried the PC brand crunchy - one of the others has almost always been on sale and therefore cheaper than the PC version, though.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 6:40 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I think we've tried the PC brand crunchy - one of the others has almost always been on sale and therefore cheaper than the PC version, though.
Crunchy was OK the one time they had run out of smooth. We also get the "no name" for things like peanut butter pie..its fine for that and cheap.

They are cheaper because they are not as good as the PC stuff, and dont have the same peanut content. I did read somewhere you can just make your own fresh in a blender and its much better than any store bought stuff..but it seems a lot of work to me.

I dont like the thought of all the unnecessary additives in the Jif/Kraft/Skippy etc lot. But I'm not the end user anyway.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
They are cheaper because they are not as good as the PC stuff
I find this sentiment true for a lot of PC products. Generally you can't go wrong with them!
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 10:47 pm
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
I find this sentiment true for a lot of PC products. Generally you can't go wrong with them!

Even their naan bread is passable.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

fionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nice
Smile Re: What you can't get in Canada

I'm really sad I miss Heinz baked beans and Heinz tomato soup but found I can buy both in the British Import store in West Edmonton Mall at a price of course, it says on the tins 4 for 1 pound or whatever the british cost is and I'm paying about $3 per tin. The kids also like buying Irn bru and tizer.

Needless to say it's our treat when we go into Edmonton.

Fiona
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

Karen1203 has a spectacular aura aboutKaren1203 has a spectacular aura aboutKaren1203 has a spectacular aura about

Hi Fiona, I miss Heinz baked beans and tomato soup too - in Cambridge the supermarkets stock heinz baked beans original tomato sauce variety for about 89c per can but they are nothing like english heinz baked beans - I am almost considering writing to them to ask why! I have also got heinz tomato soup but it is condensed not the wonderful cream of tomato we could buy in England. Something to look forward to when I visit family back home but would I swap what I have here for them not a chance lol!!!
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 11:53 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Karen1203
Hi Fiona, I miss Heinz baked beans and tomato soup too - in Cambridge the supermarkets stock heinz baked beans original tomato sauce variety for about 89c per can but they are nothing like english heinz baked beans - I am almost considering writing to them to ask why! I have also got heinz tomato soup but it is condensed not the wonderful cream of tomato we could buy in England. Something to look forward to when I visit family back home but would I swap what I have here for them not a chance lol!!!
Why would you bother, this is Canada, Heinz packages their products to suite Canadian tastes.

They really don't care what baked beans and tomato soups in the UK taste like. Canadians like them the way they are and there is no reason to change them.

You came to a new country for goodness sake accept it.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 11:56 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Why would you bother, this is Canada, Heinz packages their products to suite Canadian tastes.

They really don't care what baked beans and tomato soups in the UK taste like. Canadians like them the way they are and there is no reason to change them.

You came to a new country for goodness sake accept it.
Didn't you read the title of this thread?
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

Karen1203 has a spectacular aura aboutKaren1203 has a spectacular aura aboutKaren1203 has a spectacular aura about

Hi Steve I think if you re-read my post you might see the comment was I am almost considering writing to them - a tongue in cheek comment - I ended it with would I swap them for what I have here not a chance!! I did indeed come to a new country and am loving every minute of it
Old Oct 4th 2007, 12:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Perhaps in order to save you and us the pain of accidental amputation if you are going to be buying this bacon on a regular basis you should consider a meat slicer $119.99 at London Drugs.
Thank you - I'll think on it - but I somehow do not think our bacon consumption will justify this. My fingers might think otherwise!

Originally Posted by Edna Bucket

~ nice tart Bramley cooking apples

I've been looking for cooking apples for weeks now with no luck. There is so much lovely red cabbage on the shelves that I need some soon? What would you use - just normal eating apples (but the sharp ones)? Or do Bramleys exist here and I just haven't found them yet?
Old Oct 4th 2007, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

If you do find them Ann will you please invite me for supper - I only ever had red cabbage and apple out of a pre-pack from Asda . My parents used to grow bramleys in their garden when I was a child and half the neighbourhood came to share - I grew to hate them most of my junior years I ate apple pie and apple sauce almost every meal lol! Have seen some wicked looking cooking apples at farmers markets in Ontario though - I am a juicing enthusiast so I am always looking for the sweeter ones - but have seen plenty of apples that were cooking looking
Old Oct 4th 2007, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by Danny B
Didn't you read the title of this thread?
Yes I read the title of the thread, I even participated. I thought it a fun thread.

Were I draw the line is the having the audacity to consider writing letters to complain about something just because it doesn't taste the same as what you are used to in the UK.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by Karen1203
Hi Steve I think if you re-read my post you might see the comment was I am almost considering writing to them - a tongue in cheek comment - I ended it with would I swap them for what I have here not a chance!! I did indeed come to a new country and am loving every minute of it
My apologies I obviously took it the wrong way.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 4:38 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m

I've been looking for cooking apples for weeks now with no luck. There is so much lovely red cabbage on the shelves that I need some soon? What would you use - just normal eating apples (but the sharp ones)? Or do Bramleys exist here and I just haven't found them yet?
I wandered around our Safeways looking at the apples and decided they are all dessert apples, so I thought I'd ask a local what they used for cooking and picked a likely-looking housewifey sort of personage.

She was initially utterly perplexed by the question, and eventually suggested Spartans. mmmm never mind eh.

Maybe it's worth looking in the farmer's markets though ......
Old Oct 4th 2007, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
I wandered around our Safeways looking at the apples and decided they are all dessert apples, so I thought I'd ask a local what they used for cooking

What kind of cooking?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.