Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

what would you do during a year off?

what would you do during a year off?

Old Mar 25th 2008, 6:26 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute
Default what would you do during a year off?

Just curious. A friend and I were talking about this recently. If you had the chance to take a break from work for a year (or even just 6 months) and do something completely non-income generating what would you do with the time?
Old Mar 25th 2008, 6:26 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what would you do during a year off?

Paint - thats an easy one!
Old Mar 25th 2008, 7:03 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Paint - thats an easy one!
Take a carpentry/cabinetmaking course.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

mc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud of

sleep
Old Mar 25th 2008, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NSpaul
Just curious. A friend and I were talking about this recently. If you had the chance to take a break from work for a year (or even just 6 months) and do something completely non-income generating what would you do with the time?
I don't work* so I tend to drift.....things I have thought of are a really profesional cookery course and some daytime classes.....what I am mainly attempting to do is play Monopoly with real houses and learn stock market trading! And improve my poker!

Last edited by G586; Mar 25th 2008 at 7:18 pm. Reason: * been looking after my Mum....
Old Mar 25th 2008, 7:26 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Drive from Alaska to Argentina.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 7:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

First reaction to your question was to write "travel". But then I thought a bit more and I'm not sure if I could be bothered!! By that, I mean, it would have to be 4 or five star all the way, I'd need a ghost-like figure in the background that did all the packing and carrying, then buggered off again when I got to the next destination, etc.

I've had my backpacking days and travelled a bit - and I couldn't do that again - cold showers, lumpy beds, cramped tents, hole-in-the-ground toilets. Nah! It would have to a trip to 'pampersville'. Fun when you are 20 - not at my age and yes, I've grown shallow and needy when it comes to hot showers and hairdryers.

On a possibly more realistic 'travel' theme' I'd just buy one of those f-off Winnebago things and start driving. Anywhere on this great chunk of land from top to bottom and anywhere in between.

So after possibly dismissing my 5-star round the world trip, I think I would like to learn a new or improved skill - something hands-on - horticulture, cookery, watercolours, etc. And now, having written that down in black and white - I should just get on and do it anyway. Part-time, somewhere, will offer this ..... mmmm

My best mate would be on the first flight to some African conservation project to help animals. She has more noble intentions than I ....
Old Mar 25th 2008, 7:44 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
First reaction to your question was to write "travel". But then I thought a bit more and I'm not sure if I could be bothered!! By that, I mean, it would have to be 4 or five star all the way, I'd need a ghost-like figure in the background that did all the packing and carrying, then buggered off again when I got to the next destination, etc.

I've had my backpacking days and travelled a bit - and I couldn't do that again - cold showers, lumpy beds, cramped tents, hole-in-the-ground toilets. Nah! It would have to a trip to 'pampersville'. Fun when you are 20 - not at my age and yes, I've grown shallow and needy when it comes to hot showers and hairdryers.

On a possibly more realistic 'travel' theme' I'd just buy one of those f-off Winnebago things and start driving. Anywhere on this great chunk of land from top to bottom and anywhere in between.

So after possibly dismissing my 5-star round the world trip, I think I would like to learn a new or improved skill - something hands-on - horticulture, cookery, watercolours, etc. And now, having written that down in black and white - I should just get on and do it anyway. Part-time, somewhere, will offer this ..... mmmm

My best mate would be on the first flight to some African conservation project to help animals. She has more noble intentions than I ....
I'm with you on the whole subject of travel. Thats what I would have done when I was younger. These days the only way I could really justify not earning for a spell would be to do something "semi-useful" like take a course, do home rennovation, or spend more time "bonding" with my kids.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 7:48 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NSpaul
I did it once, a few years ago. I became a beach bum, and I spent a long, glorious summer with my young grandchildren. I have never regretted it. Reality and finances finally forced me back to work, but it was a fantastic year. I discovered the southern Gulf Islands, and spent much of my time there away from the city, stress, phones, internet, whathaveyou. I worked on various craft projects through the winter, sold them when the tourists arrived.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 8:54 pm
I'm a girl, dagnabbit! :)

Wannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud of

That's easy - I'd grab my camera, start shooting at the West Coast, end up in the Maritimes, and then make a book or two.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 9:37 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

See this country.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute

In Belgium, everyone is entitled to a 6 month sabbatical at some point fully paid, now that would be good!

Probably travel, I especially would love to go to Texas and then travel around the deep south.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 10:52 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Fly the length and breadth of Canada
Old Mar 25th 2008, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

Co-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud of

Put a couple of the dogs in a motorhome or trailer (prefer the trailer, I can unhook it and go off in the car) and just drive around Canada, I know I would not get to half the places I want to see, but it would be fun.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:14 am
Moose Jaw's Ambassador

roanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant future

Go to tibet and get those monks organized!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.