Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What made you say "WOW!" today?

What made you say "WOW!" today?

Old Sep 22nd 2014, 1:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you say "WOW!" today?

Running a yellow is illegal? I thought it was whole point of no return. I always speed through them anyways. Maltese driving at its absolute best.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 1:38 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Yellow is point of no return, when it goes yellow you make a call on whether you have time to stop in time, not whether you have time to run it. If you are close to the intersection and it goes yellow, then you go through because you can't stop safely. If you are approaching the intersection and it goes yellow, you don't speed up to get through, you slow down to stop. We wer ein a left turn lane, so not going that fast. When the light turns yellow, usually about 3 cars get through. He was 5 back. The arrow went off (i.e., from yellow to off) *AS* he entered the intersection. The car in front of him was pushing the yellow already as it had been yellow for awhile; he definitely should not have gone. If someone else did that, they'd have been pulled over.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 1:41 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
AX - that's great to hear! Glad she is making good progress.

My wow moment this morning was when driving to work, in a left turn lane behind a police officer. He's not signalling. The advance left turn signal goes, cars start going, the signal goes yellow maybe 2-3 cars in front of him. The signal disappears completely just as he enters the intersection, and he fully blows in front of all the cars to finish the turn.

Wow. Way to set an example. If I'd done that, you'd have pulled me over and given me tickets for both failing to signal, then for running a yellow. Way to go, buddy.
The bit I've bolded irritates me. Why if you are in a left-turn lane in which everyone can only go left, do people indicate?

Sometimes on dark mornings I've almost been dazzled by all the cars in front of me sitting with high-intensity brake lights on and left hand indicators flashing away, all waiting in a line which can only go one way.

Gah. I need to go home, I really do. One week to go.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 1:46 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
The bit I've bolded irritates me. Why if you are in a left-turn lane in which everyone can only go left, do people indicate?

Sometimes on dark mornings I've almost been dazzled by all the cars in front of me sitting with high-intensity brake lights on and left hand indicators flashing away, all waiting in a line which can only go one way.

Gah. I need to go home, I really do. One week to go.
If you're also in the left turn lane, and you know it's a turn lane, then cool. But if you're in oncoming traffic, you might not have memorized the road layout of the road you're facing, so is it a left lane, or a left-and-straight lane, or just an unmarked lane? It's more beneficial for the cars in front and around you, rather than the ones behind you who obviously know what you're doing.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Yellow is point of no return, when it goes yellow you make a call on whether you have time to stop in time, not whether you have time to run it. If you are close to the intersection and it goes yellow, then you go through because you can't stop safely. If you are approaching the intersection and it goes yellow, you don't speed up to get through, you slow down to stop. We wer ein a left turn lane, so not going that fast. When the light turns yellow, usually about 3 cars get through. He was 5 back. The arrow went off (i.e., from yellow to off) *AS* he entered the intersection. The car in front of him was pushing the yellow already as it had been yellow for awhile; he definitely should not have gone. If someone else did that, they'd have been pulled over.
Yeah agreed.

If you're also in the left turn lane, and you know it's a turn lane, then cool. But if you're in oncoming traffic, you might not have memorized the road layout of the road you're facing, so is it a left lane, or a left-and-straight lane, or just an unmarked lane? It's more beneficial for the cars in front and around you, rather than the ones behind you who obviously know what you're doing.
+1
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 3:00 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Good point. Unless it's a T-junction but then signalling is just an automatic habit.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 3:07 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Shard
Good point. Unless it's a T-junction but then signalling is just an automatic habit.
But even then... there's a t-intersection coming off the highway close to where I live, and there's 3 lanes. The leftmost and rightmost lanes are left and right turn names, respectively. The middle lane is dual left and right turn.

I'm generally of the view that signalling all the time means there's no ambiguity. It should be just a force of habit. Changing lanes? Signal. Making a turn? Signal. Even if you're in a turning lane. What's obvious to you may not be obvious to everyone else.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

But even then... there's a t-intersection coming off the highway close to where I live, and there's 3 lanes. The leftmost and rightmost lanes are left and right turn names, respectively. The middle lane is dual left and right turn.

I'm generally of the view that signalling all the time means there's no ambiguity. It should be just a force of habit. Changing lanes? Signal. Making a turn? Signal. Even if you're in a turning lane. What's obvious to you may not be obvious to everyone else.
Agreed. Its also the law, isn't it?
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 5:40 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Gozit
Agreed. Its also the law, isn't it?
Yes, the law is technically to signal whenever you are turning. Most people don't, and many use the same reason as Jings, saying why do I have to signal if I'm in the turn lane... the answer being it's for people who don't know you're in a turn lane.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 6:24 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the law is technically to signal whenever you are turning. Most people don't, and many use the same reason as Jings, saying why do I have to signal if I'm in the turn lane... the answer being it's for people who don't know you're in a turn lane.
You can't legislate for stoopid.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Running a yellow is illegal? I thought it was whole point of no return. I always speed through them anyways. Maltese driving at its absolute best.
I can only assume you 'speed through' on your cycle? Anything else and the legality of the yellow light pales into insignificance.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat

Sorry for the proud dad self indulgent moment. We now return you to tales of the ICBC and close calls in traffic.
Yours is so much better.

Thanks Atlantic!
Old Sep 24th 2014, 10:15 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Old Sep 26th 2014, 12:43 am
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Malé, looking very flaccid.

Old Oct 3rd 2014, 3:16 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Full screen HD recommended for this one (and watch until the end to see the barbed wire fence stunt!):

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.