Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What foods can I NOT get in Canada?

What foods can I NOT get in Canada?

Old Dec 28th 2010, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

Dunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really nice
Default Re: What foods can I NOT get in Canada?

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
You are indeed entitled to your own opinion.

I simply wanted to point out that it might be influenced by your micro-situation.
Youve been living here too long. youve lost your sence of humour!!!!! I on the otherhand am laughing my arse off........
Old Dec 28th 2010, 5:59 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaye944
Canada is nothing like the UK...

go to any major food store and you wont get half the stuff that even corner shops in the UK have.

The food labling is rubbish, and misleading.

To get my standard weekly shop, I need to visit several stores plus some of the ethnic stores.

Tesco can put these guys to shame.

Get used to NOT having what you likeed in the UK, chances are its not available here.

But look on the bright side, everyuthing loaded with sugar and fat.

oh and it must be the law to have maple syrup with everything.

Good Value Baked beans in MAPLE SYRUP. FFS
and UK is nothing like Canada. When I was in London I couldn't find anything with maple syrup in it. Baked beans without MAPLE SYRUP??????? FFS How was I supposed to eat that crap?

I couldn't find Coffee Crisp or Skor bars anywhere.

To get my standard fix of sugar in all my food I had to resort to stealing little packets and adding it to all my meals. Good thing I was able to find lard at Tesco so I could add fat to everything.
Originally Posted by Dunstable Diva
The quality of food is not as good as in the uk. Coleslaw is so sweet although after living here for over 5 years i have recently discovered that a decent coleslaw can be bought at A&W. I also have to go to several places to get all my groceries and with petrol at $1.25 that can be expensive. i have to buy veg on the day i am going to cook it otherwise it goes limp. In the uk i lived on fish. I dont know why but fish doesnt taste the same here. Canada is a huge country with a very small population and with that comes less choice. Oh and Canada has the highest mobile phone rates in the WORLD. I live in the Okanagan and a recent report on Castanet.net reported that 75% of drivers in Kelowna are driving under the influence of pot!!!!!! DO YOUR HOMEWORK nowhere in the world is paradise but family and friends are the most important thing in the world.
Wow.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

Dunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dorothy
and UK is nothing like Canada. When I was in London I couldn't find anything with maple syrup in it. Baked beans without MAPLE SYRUP??????? FFS How was I supposed to eat that crap?

To get my standard fix of sugar in all my food I had to resort to stealing little packets and adding it to all my meals. Good thing I was able to find lard at Tesco so I could add fat to everything.

Wow.
HAHA
Old Dec 28th 2010, 1:48 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Youve been living here too long. youve lost your sence of humour!!!!! I on the otherhand am laughing my arse off........
Oh dear indeed.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 3:06 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lmartin999
How do you find Stong's? We used to shop there quite a lot. Got to be careful not to hit old people in the car park but pretty decent as I recall.
When i lived in Kerrisdale I shopped there, its been around for years. IGA is also a good store but signifcantly more expensive than most other stores.

The best is probably the fancy grocery store in west van at the village.......i cant think of the name. And if one has unlimited funds there's that other fancy place in yaletown .... I cant remember what that one is called either

be back in a mo after checking google

one in yaletown is Urban Fare (they once had square shaped melons for a $100 if one is into such things) http://www.urbanfare.com/

the one in west van is whole foods:

http://wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/westvancouver/

Last edited by dboy; Dec 28th 2010 at 3:18 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dorothy

Wow.
Is that WOW interesting or WOW I dont like this Canada bashing!!!!! Sometimes the truth hurts.!!
Old Dec 28th 2010, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
When i lived in Kerrisdale I shopped there, its been around for years. IGA is also a good store but signifcantly more expensive than most other stores.

The best is probably the fancy grocery store in west van at the village.......i cant think of the name. And if one has unlimited funds there's that other fancy place in yaletown .... I cant remember what that one is called either

be back in a mo after checking google

one in yaletown is Urban Fare (they once had square shaped melons for a $100 if one is into such things) http://www.urbanfare.com/

the one in west van is whole foods:

http://wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/westvancouve
Funnily enough I have already discovered Capers on 4th...it is a Whole Foods Market store
Really like it.

Last edited by ducktastic; Dec 28th 2010 at 5:27 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 5:26 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

You are a rare human being.
I like to think I am somewhat unique.

Originally Posted by ducktastic
And yep with teens you need a mobile!
We have teens.

I don't doubt they are highly useful. They'd have been useful when nobody had them but people still managed.

Essential in some situations, of course, but generally speaking alternatives aren't difficult.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
They'd have been useful when nobody had them but people still managed.

Yep you are prob right, but worked for me.

However I do share this view on bottled water...
Old Dec 28th 2010, 5:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I'm waiting for a camera that you can use to phone people.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Also known as a smart phone!
Old Dec 28th 2010, 7:29 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP:

Processed foods are different in North America. They use a different cocktail of chemicals here. Basic foodstuffs are the same. In fact, there is a wider range in the big cities because of the number of ethnic stores.

However, there isn't a Tesco equivalent. The nearest I can think of is The Real Canadian Superstore (Lowlaws in the East?) where you can buy virtually everything under one roof but (IMO) their quality is often lacking. Generally in supermarkets you pay for the convenience of one stop shopping.

We buy produce from the local greengrocers, bread from a local bakery, rice from an Asian store, lamb from a Fijian store, salmon off a fishermen, beef and eggs from Costco. Actually, almost everything else from Costco - better quality and lower prices than almost anywhere else.

I'm too tight to shop in places like Urban Fare, Choices or Capers.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 8:16 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I'm too tight to shop in places like Urban Fare, Choices or Capers.
Never heard of them.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

A smart camera?
Old Dec 28th 2010, 8:46 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Never heard of them.
Capers is a posh wholefood store with a few locations in Vancouver. Nice but very spendy. Choices is a small supermarket chain that specializes in wholefoods or healthy alternate foods. Double the price of regular supermarkets.

Urban Fare is a brand name for Overwaitea foods - a big supermarket chain in BC. Urban Fare is a "boutique" style convenience store with stupid, stupid prices. Want to spend $100 on a loaf of bread? Urban Fare will have one that was ground from flower that was infused with chinchilla poo while a Mayan mystic was chanting ancient fertility rites, that will just fit your budget.

Last edited by JonboyE; Dec 28th 2010 at 8:48 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.