Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What foods can I NOT get in Canada?

What foods can I NOT get in Canada?

Old Dec 28th 2010, 2:06 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What foods can I NOT get in Canada?

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
"Here" is a relative term. I accept that it's almost impossible to find in Canada, but I bought an unpasteurized Camembert made in Isigny at the St. Lawrence Market last year.

It was a snip at $18. (Perhaps 3 euros at source).

<weeps>
We had a raw milk Camembert over Christmas from the market of course.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 2:10 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ducktastic
Creme de cassis...can't get it in Vancouver anywhere...really missing my Kir Royales...anyone know where I can buy it?

I am most missing the UK supermarkets, they are all shite here. Yes you can buy anything but it is a very unpleasant experience and I have to go to 3 to 4 different places to get everything I need.

On the flip side the local deli's, bakeries and butchers are all excellent and knock spots off that type of thing in the UK.
How do you find Stong's? We used to shop there quite a lot. Got to be careful not to hit old people in the car park but pretty decent as I recall.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 2:14 am
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
How do you find Stong's? We used to shop there quite a lot. Got to be careful not to hit old people in the car park but pretty decent as I recall.
not been there yet, had a look online, looks ok and not too far, perhaps they will have my elusive Creme de Cassis
Old Dec 28th 2010, 2:25 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dunstable Diva
The quality of food is not as good as in the uk. Coleslaw is so sweet although after living here for over 5 years i have recently discovered that a decent coleslaw can be bought at A&W.
So good and not so good is available just as good and not so good is available everywhere.

i have to buy veg on the day i am going to cook it otherwise it goes limp.
Odd. Veg here stays good longer than stuff I bought in Bristol.

Oh and Canada has the highest mobile phone rates in the WORLD.
Never had one in the UK, don't have one here.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

Dunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really nice

You are a rare human being. I admire you. I have one dont use it very much but with teenage kids feel i need one?
Old Dec 28th 2010, 2:49 am
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute

You are a rare human being. I admire you. I have one dont use it very much but with teenage kids feel i need one?
I got a new iphone 4 for Christmas and loving it

And yep with teens you need a mobile!
Old Dec 28th 2010, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

Dunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really nice
Smile Re: What foods can I NOT get in Canada?

Anyway just my personal opinion and personal experience
Old Dec 28th 2010, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

I got a new iphone 4 for Christmas and loving it

And yep with teens you need a mobile!
Do you find it expensive?
Old Dec 28th 2010, 2:55 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

The quality of food is not as good as in the uk. Coleslaw is so sweet although after living here for over 5 years i have recently discovered that a decent coleslaw can be bought at A&W. I also have to go to several places to get all my groceries and with petrol at $1.25 that can be expensive. i have to buy veg on the day i am going to cook it otherwise it goes limp. In the uk i lived on fish. I dont know why but fish doesnt taste the same here. Canada is a huge country with a very small population and with that comes less choice. Oh and Canada has the highest mobile phone rates in the WORLD. I live in the Okanagan and a recent report on Castanet.net reported that 75% of drivers in Kelowna are driving under the influence of pot!!!!!! DO YOUR HOMEWORK nowhere in the world is paradise but family and friends are the most important thing in the world.

Well, you make a lot of important points there. Mostly about the dangers of limp carrots and such.

I'm glad to learn that the fish doesn't taste the same "here" as "there".
Old Dec 28th 2010, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

Well, you make a lot of important points there. Mostly about the dangers of limp carrots and such.

I'm glad to learn that the fish doesn't taste the same "here" as "there".
Oh dear!!!!!
Old Dec 28th 2010, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Do you find it expensive?
no as I have a rogers pay as you go contract and for $20 a month I get unlimited data plus free evening and weekend calls

Obviously the phone was expensive, but that was a gift
Old Dec 28th 2010, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

no as I have a rogers pay as you go contract and for $20 a month I get unlimited data plus free evening and weekend calls

Obviously the phone was expensive, but that was a gift
Lucky you. Sounds like you had a good xmas
Old Dec 28th 2010, 3:27 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear!!!!!
If I was to make a general remark about fish, I'd specify which particular fish I was referring to.

And if I were to refer to limp veggies I'd get my head examined.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

If I was to make a general remark about fish, I'd specify which particular fish I was referring to.

And if I were to refer to limp veggies I'd get my head examined.
Am I not entitled to my own opinion. Are you one of those who just wants an argument? Bring it on Senior member!!
Old Dec 28th 2010, 3:40 am
Born again atheist

Am I not entitled to my own opinion. Are you one of those who just wants an argument? Bring it on Senior member!!
You are indeed entitled to your own opinion.

I simply wanted to point out that it might be influenced by your micro-situation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.