Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What do you feed them?

What do you feed them?

Old Sep 5th 2017, 1:32 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you feed them?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Pearson operates 24/7/365, and although there are "restrictions" between 12.30am and 6.30am there are still both landings and takeoffs during those hours. There are annual caps on activity during the restricted hours, to ensure that night activity remains proportionate to overall activity levels.
ah, good. well let's see how this all pans out. I'm just glad my mum wasn't travelling.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 2:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
We took them to the food court at the shopping centre so they could choose. They had freshii so did I. Husband had Opa. Think our daughters had A&W

We took it all home. They ate then fell into bed.
Taking me to a shopping centre after a journey like that would be grounds for murder, on the grounds of diminished responsibility!
Old Sep 5th 2017, 4:37 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
She won't be getting anything. The damn flight is delayed 12 hours and gets in at 2am now. Transat are blaming the weather in Toronto and yet other flights took off.
I'm now deciding whether to drive to Pearson and back in the early hours or to book a hotel for us.
At least at 2am the 401 will be moving.
Do they even have flights landing at night at Pearson?
Likewise bats, it's infuriating.

I was just reading that when it's weather related delays from a different airport (the 'knock on effect') there is still a possibility of claiming compensation. Weather is only an argument if it's exceptional and at the airport they are departing from. They should also have been given the option to cancel the flight and receive a full refund as there was more than a 5 hour delay - bet Transat didn't tell them that! Had they done so, they could have got the Westjet flight (which was also delayed, but only by 4 hours).

I'm sooo pissed!

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 6th 2017 at 2:51 am.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 7:27 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

When we used to fly LGW to MCO and then get through US customs, stand forever in the rental car line, find the car and drive 1.5 hours to our friends in St Augustine, often arriving after dark and with a small child, we just ate what was there. ALL of it was divine, and it could have been anything.
I am not sure if I am not picky, they were outstanding cooks or just the mere fact we were there was all I needed that made everything just wonderful.

Anyway, in short, we didnt give it much thought and I dont now when we have people arrive, perhaps I should be
Old Sep 5th 2017, 7:32 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie

I was just reading that when it's weather related delays from a different airport (the 'knock on effect') there is still a possibility of claiming compensation. Weather is only an argument if it's exceptional and at the airport they are departing from. They should also have been given the option to cancel the flight and receive a full refund as there was more than a 5 hour delay - bet Transat didn't tell them that! Had they done so, they could have got the Westjet flight (which was also delayed, but only by 4 hours).

I'm sooo pissed!
There are so many reasons why this isn't true.

you've mentioned the "knock on effect" yourself. airline scheduling is incredibly complex as is ATC routing , weather in one part of the world can reduce ATC stream flows across an entire continent

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 6th 2017 at 2:52 am.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sooo pissed!
Originally Posted by Zoe Bell

you've mentioned the "knock on effect" yourself. airline scheduling is incredibly complex as is ATC routing , weather in one part of the world can reduce ATC stream flows across an entire continent
Hubby always gets irritated by people who don't understand the impact the weather has on an airport.
When planes are delayed coming in then there can be problems finding a slot for take off. Crew might have gone over their hours, there might not be anywhere to "park" the plane for passengers to "deplane" so there are so many things that have a knock on effect that messes everything up... Nav Canada also is pretty strict and when there is inclement weather can impose restrictions including longer gaps between planes taking off and landing...
That's only the bits I can remember him telling me about!

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 6th 2017 at 2:52 am.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
ah, good. well let's see how this all pans out. I'm just glad my mum wasn't travelling.
It's saying 3am now for the Gatwick flight, I checked because I have just got back from the airport dropping my parents off for the Transat flight to Manchester and saw your post when I got back. Thankfully it's not the plane that will be used for their flight and theirs is listed as on time, last thing an 87 and 83 year old need would be a 12 hour delay at the airport.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 2:01 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
It's saying 3am now for the Gatwick flight, I checked because I have just got back from the airport dropping my parents off for the Transat flight to Manchester and saw your post when I got back. Thankfully it's not the plane that will be used for their flight and theirs is listed as on time, last thing an 87 and 83 year old need would be a 12 hour delay at the airport.
It ended up as 14 hours 23 minutes delay, by the time they took off and Air Transat apparently refused point blank to transfer any of the passengers to another flight..

Air Transat's website shows 04:19 for arrival, but I'm hoping that your time is correct! Thanks so much for going to the trouble of checking.. both bats and I will be going to the airport for about 03.30 just in case.

My sister had been at Gatwick airport (airside) since 08:30 UK time (03.30 here) and left home at 07:00 so will have been travelling for a total of 25-26 hours by the time she gets to my house. I think bats's relative will be even longer, as she has further to go.

It's a rotten start to a holiday.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 2:05 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell

With respect, I was referring to the laws that came in with regards to compensation. I fully understand that weather in one part of the world effects other flows, but this isn't relative when it comes to a claim.

Old Sep 6th 2017, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

It ended up as 14 hours 23 minutes delay, by the time they took off and Air Transat apparently refused point blank to transfer any of the passengers to another flight..

Air Transat's website shows 04:19 for arrival, but I'm hoping that your time is correct! Thanks so much for going to the trouble of checking.. both bats and I will be going to the airport for about 03.30 just in case.

My sister had been at Gatwick airport (airside) since 08:30 UK time (03.30 here) and left home at 07:00 so will have been travelling for a total of 25-26 hours by the time she gets to my house. I think bats's relative will be even longer, as she has further to go.

It's a rotten start to a holiday.
It really is - I hope you have some decent wine!

I checked the Pearson site again and still saying 3am - arriving at 3:30 seems like a good plan as they won't be through until then even if they touch down at 3. Annoyingly there was another Transat flight from Gatwick which took off an hour later and arrived early.

It could be worse - our worst delay was from Thursday evening until Saturday evening, luckily we were close enough to be able to come home and wait out the delay in comfort.

Last edited by HGerchikov; Sep 6th 2017 at 2:14 am.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 3:11 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I really feel for them. Poor sods. I've had a short nap and will probably head off soon as I may as well be on my way instead of checking online all the time. At least I'll have some hanging around at the airport hours to go with my cousin's 14 hours of misery

She was offered to change to Montreal but she had no idea about distance or train service etc. so refused. For a wait this long I'd have been happy to drive there to collect her