Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

what to do in Toronto for 4 days ?

what to do in Toronto for 4 days ?

Old Feb 15th 2018, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute
Default what to do in Toronto for 4 days ?

since i have re-discovered this forum as a valuable source of info, i am putting this scenario before you:
I am flying to Toronto tomorrow and had originally planned to stay with a friend, but she un-invited me since her schedule changed. So I booked myself into one of the B&Bs in Cabbagetown and am trying to figure out what to do until next Tuesday when I leave for Nova Scotia. I
I am not a big fan of TO, but it is what it is, I have to spend 3 full days there... Does anyone know a good yoga or pilates studio downtown, where I could drop in? anything else I should do and see this weekend? I know I could check online, but sometimes it's input from the locals that digs up interesting stuff...
Old Feb 15th 2018, 1:10 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what to do in Toronto for 4 days ?

If you like museums then the ROM and the AGO are both excellent. You could easily spend a whole day in each. I don't know Toronto to recommend anything else, sorry.
Is Necroplois near Cabbagetown? I always think that would be an interesting place to walk around.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 1:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
If you like museums then the ROM and the AGO are both excellent. You could easily spend a whole day in each. I don't know Toronto to recommend anything else, sorry.
Is Necroplois near Cabbagetown? I always think that would be an interesting place to walk around.
A short walk. As is the Riverdale Zoo and the glass house in Allan Gardens. The best breakfast is at that place on the west side of Parliament, north of Gerrard, name forgotten, classic diner.

Toronto has a good aquarium and, of course, the (St. Lawrence) Market.

Last edited by dbd33; Feb 15th 2018 at 1:21 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

mahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Toronto Island might be worth a dander. Meal for one in the CN tower?..
Old Feb 15th 2018, 2:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mahdawg
Toronto Island might be worth a dander. Meal for one in the CN tower?..
The CNN Tower has always struck me as being the silliest tourist attraction. It's quite high and you can look out but there's not much of interest to look at. You can see a dirty lake, you can see Mississauga. The glass floor is kind of neat but, like the island, it's better for small children. I suppose you can see aeroplanes at the island airport, that's nice, if it doesn't too much make you want to catch one.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 2:57 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
In the AGO it is worth the extra fee to visit the additional visiting displays. We saw the Guillermo del Toro monster display/exhibit
Old Feb 15th 2018, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

thanks.. keep them coming.. I will look for that diner for breakfast, because i am not in a b&b like I thought, so will need food...
CN Tower , been there done lunch and dinner there already.... I love the view when not foggy or in a thunderstorm...

I don't know any of the other neighbourhoods further outside the downtown area... so I thought maybe I should get a day pass on the TTC and just cruise around.. any particular areas that are a MUST see??
or even a day trip somewhere? (not Niagara Falls)
Will check out Riverdale and necropolis, I think they are next to each other.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
You can see a dirty lake, you can see Mississauga.
You should work for the Toronto Tourism Board ....'ride up the CN Tower, see a dirty lake, see the wonderful architectural vernacular of Mississauga.'
Old Feb 15th 2018, 3:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by woodworm
thanks.. keep them coming.. I will look for that diner for breakfast, because i am not in a b&b like I thought, so will need food...
CN Tower , been there done lunch and dinner there already.... I love the view when not foggy or in a thunderstorm...

I don't know any of the other neighbourhoods further outside the downtown area... so I thought maybe I should get a day pass on the TTC and just cruise around.. any particular areas that are a MUST see??
or even a day trip somewhere? (not Niagara Falls)
Will check out Riverdale and necropolis, I think they are next to each other.
I would take the Gerrard car from end to end. It goes through all sorts of ethnic neighbourhoods, all of which are safe to explore, and it goes through Cabbagetown.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 3:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
You should work for the Toronto Tourism Board ....'ride up the CN Tower, see a dirty lake, see the wonderful architectural vernacular of Mississauga.'
Toronto is ugly, Mississauga is spectacularly ugly. But, Toronto's got all sorts of wonderful food, if I ran the tourist board I'd sell to blind peoples' associations all over the world.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 3:26 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

All the good places I used to go have closed or been shut down by the law, except for the museums and galleries, of course.
Attached Thumbnails what to do in Toronto for 4 days ?-yonge-st.jpg  
Old Feb 15th 2018, 3:36 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

If you go to the ROM walk along Bloor? And look in all the posh shops. Tiffanys were more than happy to let us peasants in to admire the shiny things.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 3:54 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
All the good places I used to go have closed or been shut down by the law, except for the museums and galleries, of course.
When was that taken?
Me and a mate overnighted in Toronto back in 75. We had been planning to stay in a backpacker type youth hostel but it was closed due to some sort of industrial action so we went to another one which was dorm style with bunk beds and likely for homeless. It cost 50c each and I remember Social Services printed on the receipt.

It wasn't the most comfy night - we latched onto a couple of friendly - and big - Germans.

But Yonge St. I remember above the door for one strip joint, there was a TV showing a stripper performing inside. I'd never seen anything like that gawping around Soho.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

But Yonge St. I remember above the door for one strip joint, there was a TV showing a stripper performing inside. I'd never seen anything like that gawping around Soho.
Probably the Zanzibar. That industry is seriously on the decline now.

Sam the Record man was a mainstay of my days when I moved here with my family when I was 17. Many an evening there scouring the new releases, imports and old favourites.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 5:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Probably the Zanzibar. That industry is seriously on the decline now.

Sam the Record man was a mainstay of my days when I moved here with my family when I was 17. Many an evening there scouring the new releases, imports and old favourites.

I used to play in the "10 reds" tournament each weekend at the Centennial. It was over a chicken place opposite Sam the Record Man. At the time there were a good number of gay rub and tugs along there. It's duller now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.