Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What a brand new $1.3m apartment in Vancouver gets you.

What a brand new $1.3m apartment in Vancouver gets you.

Old Jun 2nd 2017, 3:35 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default What a brand new $1.3m apartment in Vancouver gets you.

This video is of a guy who details all the faults of his $1.3m brand new apartment that he is renting in Vancouver.

Old Jun 2nd 2017, 5:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What a brand new $1.3m apartment in Vancouver gets you.

I would never buy a new build condo at any price.

The builders are not doing a good job at building quality buildings.

Our unit is only valued at around 500,000 but its very cheaply made, poorly insulated for both sound and climate.

And the counter tops while nice looking stain easily.

Reading the FB the strata of our building created owners in the building are having major issues things like outlets never being wired and not working, pipes vibrating, appliances breaking etc..

Its a 3 year old building.

Not surprised about this guy says in the video.
Old Jun 2nd 2017, 5:41 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

When I first arrived in Canada, I noted the number of regulations governing this and that and when I queried authorities their comments made it sound even worse. To be honest it affected one or two decisions I made.

Since then I have learned that although regulations exist and officials pronounce officiously, few if any take any notice of them.

Regulars will have gleaned from my posts that I'm a born cynic. If a bit of sleaze will bend or obliterate a rule then dollars get spent, and if you're in a position to benefit then who's going to bother about it, who's going to know, who cares?

It doesn't surprise me in the least that these cardboard boxes are thrown up with a complete disregard to safety or regulations, what matters is grabbing the cash and running away and leaving the poor sucker who bought the c**p to pick up the pieces and if the buyer isn't even in the country who's going to care.

On the other hand, these people are pandering to the greedy. Buy an 'appartment' for 1.3M, rent it out or just wait for a few years and sell at a profit. Who cares what the quality is? If it stays up for a few years, that's all it needs to.

Look around you, today's slums are being thrown up everywhere.
Old Jun 2nd 2017, 6:32 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Wow
Old Jun 2nd 2017, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

geoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Jsmth321;12264851]I would never buy a new build condo at any price.

The builders are not doing a good job at building quality buildings.

Our unit is only valued at around 500,000 but its very cheaply made, poorly insulated for both sound and climate.

And the counter tops while nice looking stain easily.

Reading the FB the strata of our building created owners in the building are having major issues things like outlets never being wired and not working, pipes vibrating, appliances breaking etc..

Its a 3 year old building.

Not surprised about this guy says in the video.[/QUOT
People in the building trade have known this for decades.
The fact builders grade materials (substandard) are used for construction says it all.
Buyer beware!
Old Jun 2nd 2017, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

People who bought new builds in the last year ro two are having major problems with houses, condos and apartments .....

....... there are lots of poor builders around, but also many people made it worse for themselves last year when the market was so hot.

They were so eager not to lose another place to a higher bidder that they didn't have that all important inspection of the house by an independent appraiser.

Buy an older house or apartment ........... our house is over 60 years old and still going strong!