Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What are the best rewards with an Air miles account?

What are the best rewards with an Air miles account?

Old Mar 2nd 2018, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond repute
Default What are the best rewards with an Air miles account?

Interested to know what people find the best use of their Air miles? I was always led to believe you got more "bang for your buck" if you didn't cash them in for flights.

Having been here less than a year and facing all the start up costs and then day to day living I believe I have amassed quite a few points.

I was going to continue in this manner and just store them up for that ultimate flight or the emergency trip home, however now I am not sure.

Keen to know how others have used theirs and what advice they can give?

Many thanks.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 3:50 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are the best rewards with an Air miles account?

Don't use air miles much anymore, if I get any, save them up for Visa cash cards.

Collect points on my Visa cards, worth .008c each, cash them in for money.

Best cards now are the cash back ones, lots of comparisons online.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 5:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

We have a deep fat fryer from air miles. Petrol pumps ask about redeeming cash from airmiles, it used to be $10, then $20, now it's $40. I'm vaguely interested to see how long it takes to accumulate enough airmiles to fill the tank.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

When I used airmiles for flights, they are used only for the flight portion of the cost, I had to pay cash to cover taxes, airport charges, insurance, etc .................

I stopped using them for that purpose (bringing my daughter from NS to BC) about 5 or 6 years ago because it was costing me between $400 to $600

She now buys her ticket and sometimes I pay her back .............. it's usually less than what I was paying Air Miles.

I got an HP laptop and a Canon PowerShot Elph for free from them back in November/December 2016, when they were talking about clawing back any points accumulated before a certain time.

I currently have about 34,000 points sitting there, with not much idea of what to get.

I think the best bet now would be to go for the Money-back ................ but you can only use that feature for future accumulations, not for what you have "banked".

I'm going to get OH to change his card to the money option ......... he uses his card more than I do, and he's getting more and more points, and we have less and less use for them.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Look out for clearance sales on AirMiles website.

I got a $900 Maytag vacuum cleaner for $150 over Christmas.

I wouldn't normally waste AirMiles on purchases, but I don't actually earn enough on that 'channel' to bother about.

WestJet Dollars are my main earners - just paid $1500 of them towards a $3500 holiday in Mexico next month!

I've also got 200,000 Amex points to use up at some stage and about 25,000 BA left over from Tesco Clubcard manipulation in the UK (used to get me Business Class flights to Canada every year before we moved here!)
Old Mar 8th 2018, 3:09 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Loyalty memberships in this country have moved on to become much better than they used to be. But Air Miles hasn't. Thus, its not worth the bother to be a member of them anymore.