west Jet to Gatwick

Old Feb 13th 2018, 3:19 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: west Jet to Gatwick

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
We just booked 3 flights to Calgary from Ottawa in July via Westjet. It looks like we are going to get dinged for $25/checked bag per flight so with 1 bag each and 3 people and return flights that adds up to $150. Can we use that Westjet credit card for the $150 in luggage fees and not end up paying for it even after booking and not being members currently of any Westjet reward programmes?

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel...1-item-2-pos-1
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/rewards/index

I have just enrolled in WestJet Rewards and have upcoming flights booked. Can I add my WestJet Rewards ID for these flights?

Yes. You can add your WestJet Rewards ID to your flight during the self-serve check-in process. Alternatively, you may call us at 1-888-937-8538 (1-888-WESTJET).
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/about-...estjet-rewards

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 13th 2018 at 3:21 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/rewards/index

I have just enrolled in WestJet Rewards and have upcoming flights booked. Can I add my WestJet Rewards ID for these flights?

Yes. You can add your WestJet Rewards ID to your flight during the self-serve check-in process. Alternatively, you may call us at 1-888-937-8538 (1-888-WESTJET).
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/about-...estjet-rewards

Thanks
Old Feb 13th 2018, 10:50 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Well I booked with WestJet. Just before the payment page they offered th chance to apply for a credit card and if you used it to pay then you got $50 off. Seems worth it so I applied then at the end it says they will let me know in three days. How does that work then? I paid with my regular card. Grr
Old Feb 15th 2018, 8:01 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Did YYZ-LGW last year with the little wheels, I packed a snack bag to carry on for the journey over, same on the way back, I thought the flight was great, and Gatwick is actually preferable to Heathrow for me.

On AC Rouge flights I've started pre-ordering food on the flights. $7.50 gets you one meal choice and one snack choice. Seems worth it.

Also, the "gourmet" beers- goose island and mill st organic- may be a buck more but you get a proper can, not the silly coke can sized canadian/ boors light.

Life Hacks
Old Feb 15th 2018, 9:43 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

It's about 30 quid more for my return train journey from Gatwick compared to Heathrow. I just do carry on luggage but by the time you add up all the extras the difference between a Heathrow flight and Gatwick isn't that great.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 11:51 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

As a frequent traveller trans-atlantic, albeit on a shorter flight than most of you , I've pretty much given up on actually eating on the plane. I either buy food at the airport - M&S, EAT, Boots, etc etc to take on board or eat before I get on the plane. At LHR T2 (Air Canada) I recommend the "Gorgeous Kitchen" restaurant for breakfast or lunch. Food's good, reasonably priced and, tucked away in a corner as it is, it's generally an oasis of calm. Not that T2 is particular y busy anyway.

My top tip for Gatwick on WJ is if you have an earlyish flight (the now-cancelled St John's one left at 9.35am for example) and want/need to stay at the airport the night before, stay at the Hampton Inn at the North Terminal. The entrance is actually in the checkin area right next too the WJ counters. For the early flight, I'd stroll out of the hotel, check my bag in, then stroll back & have breakfast (included) before checking out.

At this time of year when there are only two direct connections to LHR on AC a week one has to do the flying the wrong way for many hours thing. On my way back from London last month via Toronto I flew over my house about 4.5hrs into the 7hr flight to Toronto, then got snarled up in weather delays at Toronto so that my connection back to St John's was delayed 6 hrs resulting in me arriving home at 6am Nfld time or 18hrs or so after I left Heathrow. I'm doing the same route in reverse on Sunday so I'm hoping for rather better luck with the weather. Which leads me to another top tip - when travelling in the winter, particularly with connecting flights, if you can possibly manage it don't check luggage. Gives you more freedom when missed connections occur. Learned that the hard way some years ago!
Old Feb 15th 2018, 11:59 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Really like West Jet. LGW, not so much.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 12:24 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
As a frequent traveller trans-atlantic, albeit on a shorter flight than most of you , I've pretty much given up on actually eating on the plane. I either buy food at the airport - M&S, EAT, Boots, etc etc to take on board or eat before I get on the plane. At LHR T2 (Air Canada) I recommend the "Gorgeous Kitchen" restaurant for breakfast or lunch. Food's good, reasonably priced and, tucked away in a corner as it is, it's generally an oasis of calm. Not that T2 is particular y busy anyway.

My top tip for Gatwick on WJ is if you have an earlyish flight (the now-cancelled St John's one left at 9.35am for example) and want/need to stay at the airport the night before, stay at the Hampton Inn at the North Terminal. The entrance is actually in the checkin area right next too the WJ counters. For the early flight, I'd stroll out of the hotel, check my bag in, then stroll back & have breakfast (included) before checking out.

At this time of year when there are only two direct connections to LHR on AC a week one has to do the flying the wrong way for many hours thing. On my way back from London last month via Toronto I flew over my house about 4.5hrs into the 7hr flight to Toronto, then got snarled up in weather delays at Toronto so that my connection back to St John's was delayed 6 hrs resulting in me arriving home at 6am Nfld time or 18hrs or so after I left Heathrow. I'm doing the same route in reverse on Sunday so I'm hoping for rather better luck with the weather. Which leads me to another top tip - when travelling in the winter, particularly with connecting flights, if you can possibly manage it don't check luggage. Gives you more freedom when missed connections occur. Learned that the hard way some years ago!
I concur. At YVR I check in and then stroll over to the Fairmount and have a naff off steak and bottle of Burgundy. I only ever do short (1 to 3 days) trips anyway so I just wear a suit and take my small leather holdall with all the clothes and stuff I'll need.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 3:17 pm
limey party pooper

Well I flew the flights and it was fine. I'd use them again.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 7:57 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Well I flew the flights and it was fine. I'd use them again.
We were worried.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 1:26 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

JS, just saw a clip on WJ "paying cabin crew below minimum wage" on The National. The contention was that they are not paid for plane prep time. What seemed a bit of a stretch was that they said crew can spend 4 hours cleaning the plane after the flight?! Thoughts?
Old Mar 21st 2018, 2:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
JS, just saw a clip on WJ "paying cabin crew below minimum wage" on The National. The contention was that they are not paid for plane prep time. What seemed a bit of a stretch was that they said crew can spend 4 hours cleaning the plane after the flight?! Thoughts?
I find it unlikely flight crew is spending that much time cleaning. They do assist during a turn but that isn't going to be hours....

I don't handle Westjet flights now but I did in the past and never saw a flight attendant spending hours cleaning.

Westjet is having labour issues so have to find the truth in the middle. Westjet is facing turbulent times ahead.

Would be interesting to know Westjets pay vs Air Canada.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 21st 2018 at 2:47 am.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 12:40 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by Oink
We were worried.
I know you were. Your kind and compassionate nature could hardly do anything but worry. You can relax now.