Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

We're Melting on Vancouver Island

We're Melting on Vancouver Island

Old Jul 21st 2006, 8:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation
Default We're Melting on Vancouver Island

Its a whooping 34c here today, beautiful day but with no breeze off the ocean it feels like 120c!

This type of forecast predicted for the entire weekend!

How is everyone else coping with the hot weather?
Old Jul 21st 2006, 8:41 pm
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We're Melting on Vancouver Island

Originally Posted by willmore
Its a whooping 34c here today, beautiful day but with no breeze off the ocean it feels like 120c!

In the kids paddling pool, crash on the deck, in the kids paddling pool, crash on the deck... repeat till bright red and ready for a beer, job done
Old Jul 21st 2006, 9:05 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

My sympathies go out to you!
Greetings from sticky and humid SE London - thermometer outside currently reads 24 C and 29 C inside (at 10pm), with temps in the mid thirties for the last few days. Roads are melting and having to be sprayed with dust, I passed loads of accidents on the way home from work today (drivers seem to go mad in this weather), and I have exhausted the ice cream supply in the freezer. I am seriously yearning for a full-blown Canadian winter.

It's just SOOOOOOOOOO humid (yuk!)

(although I'd much rather be humid on Vancouver Island than my current location)
Old Jul 21st 2006, 11:20 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Luv,

The official 4:00pm temperature at the Victoria airport was 32C so I'll bet it's a lot hotter in the full sun and closer to town.

Edit: 33C at 5:00pm.

It's going to "cool" and I use that word loosely to a high of 27C on Tuesday.

I hope you have lots of cool drinks on hand.

Cheers
Steve

Last edited by Hangman; Jul 22nd 2006 at 12:25 am.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 11:48 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hangman
Hello Luv,

The official 4:00pm temperature at the Victoria airport was 32C so I'll bet it's a lot hotter in the full sun and closer to town.

Cheers
Steve

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm...............honey brown
I'm off to find a cup!!!
Attached Thumbnails We're Melting on Vancouver Island-office-memo-one-cup.jpg  
Old Jul 21st 2006, 11:55 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bananahammock
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm...............honey brown
I'm off to find a cup!!!
I see you're off to Nanaimo.

The official 4:00pm there was 33C. Forecast highs for Saturday and Sunday 34C and a cool 31C by Tuesday.

You better make sure that cup is similar in size to ones those lot have got in the picture.

Cheers
Steve
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 12:42 am
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

I see you're off to Nanaimo.

The official 4:00pm there was 33C. Forecast highs for Saturday and Sunday 34C and a cool 31C by Tuesday.

You better make sure that cup is similar in size to ones those lot have got in the picture.

Cheers
Steve
I'm looking, I'm looking!!!
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 3:38 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

We just got back from splashing about in the Bow River. Just what I needed to cool off after a hot day at work. Lovely!
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
We just got back from splashing about in the Bow River. Just what I needed to cool off after a hot day at work. Lovely!

LOL Morw - shouldn't you be in the hospital with Hypothermia?
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Calgal
LOL Morw - shouldn't you be in the hospital with Hypothermia?
Ditto! Should'nt you be posting from Saskatoon or somewhere, 'cos I thought the Bow had a strong current?

BTW Did you see a strange tarred and feathered creature growling on the Bow? That was koogar landing in Canada in his own unique way

Hope you had fun cooling off. I think I'm gonna find me a river in Somerset 'cos it's not even 9am yet and I'm melting already
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Hello Luv,

Edit: 33C at 5:00pm.

Cheers
Steve

Hello you - I think we have found a new occupaton for you.

Usually a little cooler here than at the airport since we overlook the ocean, but not yesterday. Managed to get through the day thanks to the generousity of our next door neighbours with a pool. Really warm overnight - hard for everyone to sleep!

Take care hon or I will make your life a living hell!
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 11:16 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Average summer day here.

Our top temp last summer (we are obviously in winter here now) was 47C shade temp Everything just smelt burnt......there was a wind, but it was a hot northerly that blew off the outback, and burnt you itself.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute
Default I'm melting.......

Hi there,

We're in Powell River (facing Vancouver Island on the 'mainland'.

The Shaw weather thingy says it's 29c now, but it's going up to 33c this afternoon. What's that all about? Everyone told me it was cold in Canada, and I would be living in an igloo.

Anyway, the heat is getting to me now. I'm off for a swim.

Sarah
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute

Continuing on from my earlier message.....

It got so hot this afternoon, we jumped off the end of our garden into the lake. Here's a picture of the lake (it's getting dark now)

Also, this afternoon, we spent some time hosing the cat off to cool him down. I thought cats didn't like water!

Sarah
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 3:47 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee
Ditto! Should'nt you be posting from Saskatoon or somewhere, 'cos I thought the Bow had a strong current?
Where we go there is a sort of sidestream around an island ..... the water starts off shallow on the upstream side, then flows under a footbridge, where it gets quite deep, but slow..... then gets shallow again, speeds up and joins the main current. It's lovely and cool, but really not icy. It's a lovely place for a dip!

Yesterday in all that heat we went to Lake Louise, and walked up (3.7km) the side of the mountain to a corrie (?) lake, Mirror Lake, then a little higher to Lake Agnes .....WAAAAAYYYY up high! There's a tearoom at the top there, and you can look down over Mirror Lake to Lake Louise far below. Then we walked down the side of a cascade and back down to Lake louise where we paddled .... now THAT was COLD!!

If you can stand a 1 1/2 to 2 hrs climb I'd certainly recommend it! It was not really difficult walking, quite gradual .... but I did wonder if our old doggie was really finding it too much. When we got to Mirror Lake, she just flumped into it and lay down, then again at Agnes Lake! .... she ran all the way down though! She's sleeping it off now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.