Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Weird question about Canadians

Weird question about Canadians

Old Mar 9th 2018, 6:49 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weird question about Canadians

Originally Posted by BristolUK
My Canadian stepson often says 'Bloody' which he got from me.

It sounds really weird coming from someone who often swears like he's in a Quentin Tarantino movie.
My Canadian stepson uses bloody, wanker, bollocks, twat and a few others.

I have no idea where he got that from. Youtube maybe.
Old Mar 9th 2018, 7:10 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
My Canadian stepson uses bloody, wanker, bollocks, twat and a few others.

Not another whinge about abuse on the homefront !
Old Mar 9th 2018, 7:31 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Not another whinge about abuse on the homefront !
No.
Old Mar 9th 2018, 9:28 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by supergirly
So, this might sound a bit weird but has anyone experienced Canadians copying them? I have experienced it A LOT. From one "friend" who's wedding was a carbon copy of ours -same venue, colour scheme even down to asking for the same barman - to another friend dressing her husband in the same style of clothes as my husband!

Then there's the copying of patter such as "cheers", "wanker" etc Makes me cringe!

Would be interesting to know if anyone else has come across this or if it's just the people that I mix with. Thanks in advance for your replies
I must admit to a similar annoyance when I went to a wedding recently and it was almost a carbon copy of ours... a church service in which they blatantly copied our promises to love each other till death do us part, and they even had the cheek to copy what we were wearing - a kilt for me and an ivory dress for the woman. To add insult to injury, they then replicated our hosting of drinks and a meal in a local hotel, followed by a band and a disco until the early hours.

The unimaginative bastards.
Old Mar 11th 2018, 9:40 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Canadians pick up bits of language that they find different like Magpies, but, certainly here in my bit, it's because they haven't got a huge vocabulary, and I think it's quite complimentary (my son's friends all now refer to School Crossing people as Lolipop men or women, and, oddly, everyone in my office finds the term "a bit cross" for less than furious but more than irritated, to be wonderful and use it liberally) it's just that they haven't been exposed to much change.

Atlantic Canada is now getting slightly more outsiders coming, but has remained relatively untouched socially for a long time and it's very much affected the spoken word here, people don't 'play' with language in the same way that they do in more changing societies (even more so when you come to the French language - but that's a whole different brouhaha ) I really miss the richness and fun of British language at it's best, London had such a diverse set of people coming and going from so many backgrounds that the linguistic soup changed virtually daily - which must be going on in the GTA or Vancouver too where you have a larger population?

Surely the internet now means we all copy each other doesn't it? If we fancy a bit of Bollywood Bling or Pastoral whatever, at the push of a button Pinterest is all over it. Canadians though, I think, are generally conservative, they don't want to go out on a limb to be different, so if you have done something nice with your house and garden, or wedding - it's going to be copied, so enjoy it OP it makes you a fashionista! Although that word is probably very much not in vogue now.
Old Mar 11th 2018, 12:33 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
everyone in my office finds the term "a bit cross" for less than furious but more than irritated, to be wonderful and use it liberally) it's just that they haven't been exposed to much change.

...but I bet they'd be miffed to read that last line.
Old Mar 11th 2018, 12:54 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
...my son's friends all now refer to School Crossing people as Lolipop men or women, and, oddly, everyone in my office finds the term "a bit cross" for less than furious but more than irritated, to be wonderful...

My wife adopted a pronounced "not my cup of tea" (an expression I don't think I ever used) after my complaints that her "tastes like shit (or dog's vomit) were somewhat over the top and insulting.