Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Visiting Ontario and windfarms

Visiting Ontario and windfarms

Old Sep 29th 2014, 10:34 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Visiting Ontario and windfarms

We have a trip booked to Ontario to have a look see and try to narrow down areas to settle. We are basing this particular trip around southwest Ontario and the Niagara region. Was a bit disturbed by the Windfarm documentary on telly last night, I already know I don't want to live anywhere near one of those monstrosities, so that will be easy to tick off the list. Could mean Southwest Ontario is ticked right off the list looking at the proposal maps

We're planning on a doing the triangle from Toronto (airport) to Windsor and back to Niagara - anywhere we should pay attention to and anywhere we should avoid like the plague? And any particularly nice Niagara hotels recommended?

tia
Old Sep 29th 2014, 11:46 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting Ontario and windfarms

There you go
Maps | Ontario Wind Resistance

Lots of wind farms there cos it's flat and boring! I quite like windframs though.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
We have a trip booked to Ontario to have a look see and try to narrow down areas to settle. We are basing this particular trip around southwest Ontario and the Niagara region. Was a bit disturbed by the Windfarm documentary on telly last night, I already know I don't want to live anywhere near one of those monstrosities, so that will be easy to tick off the list. Could mean Southwest Ontario is ticked right off the list looking at the proposal maps

We're planning on a doing the triangle from Toronto (airport) to Windsor and back to Niagara - anywhere we should pay attention to and anywhere we should avoid like the plague? And any particularly nice Niagara hotels recommended?

tia
When are you coming? Groupon have some good hotel deals at the moment for Niagara...
Old Sep 30th 2014, 12:34 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
There you go
Maps | Ontario Wind Resistance

Lots of wind farms there cos it's flat and boring! I quite like windframs though.
Thanks, I'd already found the maps, hence the concern

Originally Posted by DandNHill
When are you coming? Groupon have some good hotel deals at the moment for Niagara...
I've been checking groupon thanks, didn't know if anyone had any personal good recommendations of a lovely Niagara hotel.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 12:42 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I used to commute along highway 17 (northwest of Shelburne, possibly the highest point in Southern Ontario) and disliked the many windmills. We were up there a couple of weeks ago and I was shocked how much more industrialised it has become; there's a windmill every few hundred yards. It's horrible but the other choice is gravel pits. No doubt there's a special hell somewhere that has both but, generally, in rural locations in Ontario, you're plagued by one or the other.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by dbd33
I used to commute along highway 17 (northwest of Shelburne, possibly the highest point in Southern Ontario) and disliked the many windmills. We were up there a couple of weeks ago and I was shocked how much more industrialised it has become; there's a windmill every few hundred yards. It's horrible but the other choice is gravel pits. No doubt there's a special hell somewhere that has both but, generally, in rural locations in Ontario, you're plagued by one or the other.
I would rather live next to a nuclear power plant than a windfarm or even stay where we are
Old Sep 30th 2014, 1:11 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at Travelzoo for hotel offers.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 1:13 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I would rather live next to a nuclear power plant than a windfarm or even stay where we are
A nuclear plant is no trouble, they're screened with trees. No bother at all, unless it explodes or leaks or emits a cloud of radiation or something along those lines and that doesn't happen regularly.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 1:39 am

A nuclear plant is no trouble, they're screened with trees. No bother at all, unless it explodes or leaks or emits a cloud of radiation or something along those lines and that doesn't happen regularly.
Exactly my thoughts
Old Sep 30th 2014, 1:46 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly my thoughts
What's your problem with wind farms exactly?
Old Sep 30th 2014, 1:48 am
limey party pooper

They would have to be bloody tall trees.

Apart from Wolfe Island where a mistake was made with the flighpath of raptors I don't gave a problem with windfarms. They look ok to me, often better than ok.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 1:51 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
They would have to be bloody tall trees.

Apart from Wolfe Island where a mistake was made with the flighpath of raptors I don't gave a problem with windfarms. They look ok to me, often better than ok.
As in prehistoric dinosaurs???

Aren't windfarms a necessary evil? I don't like odd numbered clusters of things (bit of a phobia) but that's my only objection to them...
Old Sep 30th 2014, 1:55 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
As in prehistoric dinosaurs???

Aren't windfarms a necessary evil? I don't like odd numbered clusters of things (bit of a phobia) but that's my only objection to them...
You should shop at 7-11 more often.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I'd already found the maps, hence the concern

I've been checking groupon thanks, didn't know if anyone had any personal good recommendations of a lovely Niagara hotel.
Good point. We stayed at the Embassy Suites last year. Nice hotel, although huge, but if you like using the internet beware, they charge $10 per day per device!!!!
Old Sep 30th 2014, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
What's your problem with wind farms exactly?
Too many reports such as this:Wind turbines ARE a human health hazard: the smoking gun – Telegraph Blogs

and documentary's such as this: Down Wind: A Sun News Documentary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.