Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

very excited about Citizenship

very excited about Citizenship

Old Feb 6th 2017, 1:45 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: very excited about Citizenship

I'm not going off topic, because I'm just as excited as the Howes...however! For me the Citizenship thing makes it easier to leave Canada at it's more frosty moments...my husband has presently absconded for two months to Florida and Texas...last year it was Puerto Rico...this is for work (so he claims!) if I were a Citizen I could go too once I feel my son would be happy for a while, but as a PR it makes it all more problematic.

For me, it just seems the easiest of options, if I had to give up my British passport, I wouldn't do it, but I don't, so I will...but I can see why some wouldn't feel so happy....comfort zones are a very personal thing, they can't and don't need to be explained, just understood and are very much a part of individual identity...the bit that makes us different to all the other flotsam....

Best of luck
Old Feb 6th 2017, 1:48 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Its good that you haven't had troubles in the past, but by the sounds of it you don't have a valid card?
Not sure how but I must have misled you there. PR was finally done and dusted in 2007 and so far I renewed the card once, in 2012, so the next one is due in September.
I wouldn't trust their website saying 47 days based on that
This is true.
My 2012 renewal was in line with the expected time then. A few months ago there was some talk about delays arising from complications - eg tine out of Canada.

I won't have any complications like that. I'm a simple soul.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 1:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
I'm not going off topic, because I'm just as excited as the Howes...however! For me the Citizenship thing makes it easier to leave Canada at it's more frosty moments...my husband has presently absconded for two months to Florida and Texas...last year it was Puerto Rico...this is for work (so he claims!) if I were a Citizen I could go too once I feel my son would be happy for a while, but as a PR it makes it all more problematic.

For me, it just seems the easiest of options, if I had to give up my British passport, I wouldn't do it, but I don't, so I will...but I can see why some wouldn't feel so happy....comfort zones are a very personal thing, they can't and don't need to be explained, just understood and are very much a part of individual identity...the bit that makes us different to all the other flotsam....

Best of luck

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Not sure how but I must have misled you there. PR was finally done and dusted in 2007 and so far I renewed the card once, in 2012, so the next one is due in September.

My 2012 renewal was in line with the expected time then. A few months ago there was some talk about delays arising from complications - eg tine out of Canada.

Ah ok, gotcha.
There were some recent threads (past 3-4 mos) where people who met the RO, had every duck in a row, etc were still getting delays just because CIC is overwhelmed and/or incompetent. (a bit of both.)

Anyways I hope it all goes well for you, I know you've been planning this potential trip for a bit. And again congrats to Howefamily
Old Feb 6th 2017, 2:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

When I applied for my PR card renewal, I applied over a year late as I lacked funds to apply on time, and I had a fair amount of time spent outside of Canada, but no delay in processing the renewal and card arrived within the processing time stated on their website at the time.

So even time spent outside of Canada doesn't necessarily delay processing.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 12:05 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Good luck with studying...

Thank you

Best of luck

And to you MillieF. I am not surprised you dislike winter, you have more snow in NB than us and it sounds like you deal with it alone which would suck. I too would like to get to a point where I am down south (pref Florida) for 2 winter months every year. I have this dream where I live on NY day and come back in March.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 1:48 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

On the cost subject....I had a look at the fees page and saw $100 for the application but I was unsure about the other part.

Is there really a processing fee on top? Another $530?

$630 all in?
Old Feb 6th 2017, 3:24 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

On the cost subject....I had a look at the fees page and saw $100 for the application but I was unsure about the other part.

Is there really a processing fee on top? Another $530?

$630 all in?
I dont know, hubby did the paying bit online as it would make me procrastinate more. We paid approx $1400 for us and two kids under 13
Old Feb 6th 2017, 5:28 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

$630 all in?
Yes, that's the sum. Apparently a lot of people are not applying now that the fee has gone up so much, that's why the process has speeded up so much.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 5:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

That is why I havent applied. That amount of money is hard to come by.

Maybe someday if we ever have higher incomes.

Yes, that's the sum. Apparently a lot of people are not applying now that the fee has gone up so much, that's why the process has speeded up so much.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 5:44 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

That may change is this 3 out of 5 years/time before PR counting as half a day bill ever comes into place.

There will be loads of people applying so I'm guessing timelines will increase.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 5:47 pm
Oscar nominated

Thanks.

So, for me then, a ten year UK passport costs £102/$166 and the associated PR Card renewals (2 x $50) $100. $266 every ten years.

$630 doesn't sound particularly appealing and doesn't include the cost of the Canadian passport.

If I make it to my 90s and I am still seeing the world I might regret it.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 7:37 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
That may change is this 3 out of 5 years/time before PR counting as half a day bill ever comes into place.

There will be loads of people applying so I'm guessing timelines will increase.
I agree- I would say that the numbers dropped off mainly not due to fees but because of the 4 out 6 and TWP time not counting- the numbers will shoot up when C6 eventually gets passed
Old Feb 6th 2017, 9:25 pm
Account Closed

I'll take longer processing times if the fee goes down.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 9:31 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I'll take longer processing times if the fee goes down.
That isnt going to happen JS! The time requirement in Canada goes back down, the processing time and fees will sadly not
Old Feb 6th 2017, 9:35 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
That isnt going to happen JS! The time requirement in Canada goes back down, the processing time and fees will sadly not
Then I shall not get citizenship...lol

(Sorry misunderstood the other posts..)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.