Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

very excited about Citizenship

very excited about Citizenship

Old Feb 2nd 2017, 12:48 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: very excited about Citizenship

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Howe exited are you really
very
Nice take on Howe there magnumpi
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 12:49 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
They didn't send me the book either.

It is exciting Howes. I don't know why it is quite so, but it is. It has rekindled an enthusiasm in Canada, that hadn't exactly expired, but had perhaps been snowed upon one time too many!

I'd lived with my husband for years before we got married...but when we finally did it, our relationship felt different. I think it's the same way I feel about Citizenship, I'm going to be part of 'something bigger' I can vote and be more enfranchised in my new home. I find it very exciting and quite emotional, like a whole new start....

Very best of luck...
Thank you MillieF, ites exactly how I feel too, and felt when I got married.. Good luck to you too!
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 12:50 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
very
Nice take on Howe there magnumpi
Don't get too excited about that. He can't spell.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 1:50 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
The test is risibly easy. I aced it back in 2005. I tried the official practice test a few weeks ago, without revising. Pretty much aced that one too. I really have no idea how someone with basic reading skills and some form of memory cannot pass it.
Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I agree, and as I said, if you have lived here for 5 years or so before hand you will already know a lot of it anyway without even reading about it.
They did raise the pass mark from when Souvy did it.

I felt that about 14 of the questions were gimme's but there were half a dozen that I would have been guessing with out reading the book.

There was a question on the highest mountain in Canada that I still got wrong.

I think the pass mark is 14 so my advice is to take a few hours to comb through it and also find some of the free online tests to practice.

The best thing with Citizenship is your chances of going through anything with CIC again are highly remote so best to get it right the first time.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 1:59 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
They did raise the pass mark from when Souvy did it.

I felt that about 14 of the questions were gimme's but there were half a dozen that I would have been guessing with out reading the book.

There was a question on the highest mountain in Canada that I still got wrong.

I think the pass mark is 14 so my advice is to take a few hours to comb through it and also find some of the free online tests to practice.

The best thing with Citizenship is your chances of going through anything with CIC again are highly remote so best to get it right the first time.
I think the pass mark was 14 when I did it.

There are practice tests on the CIC website, by the way.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 2:00 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Having citizenship just ment I didn't have to keep applying for PR.
There is another benefit for us folks in Toronto.

That is that with citizenship we are able to online check in with Porter Airlines.

Having to check in in person was a real pain in the arse, more so, before the tunnel was built.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 2:26 pm
Slob

There is another benefit for us folks in Toronto.

That is that with citizenship we are able to online check in with Porter Airlines.

Having to check in in person was a real pain in the arse, more so, before the tunnel was built.
What are you talking about?

Even before the tunnel it was the fastest check-in I can remember going through (and I've been through a lot).
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 3:00 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

What are you talking about?

Even before the tunnel it was the fastest check-in I can remember going through (and I've been through a lot).
Yes but without a Canadian or US passport you could not check in online prior to going to the airport.

It was a pain if you were cutting it finer and had to wait for the ferry. Especially when they closed the check in counters on the City side.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 3:02 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

I think the pass mark was 14 when I did it.

There are practice tests on the CIC website, by the way.
Immigrants more likely to fail citizenship test the longer they’re here | Metro News

I doubt you were anywhere near the borderline but the pass mark moved from 12 to 14.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 3:39 pm
Slob

Yes but without a Canadian or US passport you could not check in online prior to going to the airport.

It was a pain if you were cutting it finer and had to wait for the ferry. Especially when they closed the check in counters on the City side.
Don't cut it so fine, then!
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 3:42 pm
Slob

Immigrants more likely to fail citizenship test the longer they’re here | Metro News

I doubt you were anywhere near the borderline but the pass mark moved from 12 to 14.
I got 20. I wasn't the only one.

From a statistical point of view, one would have a fair chance of passing just by picking answers randomly.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

Ebonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
me too, not solely for me , but there were a lot of people at our ceremony who were from politically unstable countries. I can't imagine what the concept of having citizenship in a country where you are free to travel, vote or even just step out of the door without being harassed. A place where a knock on the front door is more likely to be a neighbor with a crate of beer as opposed to the secret police coming to drag you away, feels like
Sadly, I don't have neighbours who will bring over a crate of beer - although we do exchange bottles of wine at Christmas as presents.

After reading your post, the thought struck me - What would the reaction be for immigrants/refugees to Canada from dangerous parts of the world, the first time the knock at the door is a religious proselytizer who's preaching the path to paradise

"Here's good enough, thanks!"
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 4:48 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by Ebonhawke
Sadly, I don't have neighbours who will bring over a crate of beer - although we do exchange bottles of wine at Christmas as presents.

After reading your post, the thought struck me - What would the reaction be for immigrants/refugees to Canada from dangerous parts of the world, the first time the knock at the door is a religious proselytizer who's preaching the path to paradise

"Here's good enough, thanks!"
I've had neighbours show up with booze. It often gets consumed ensemble.

We had fun a couple of summers back when there was a power outage one evening. The two of us migrated to the front yard with our drinks. We were quickly joined by half the street. They all brought their own booze. We had a party. It was fun.

The flowing winter, we were away for a bit. Somebody had been blowing our driveway. I didn't know if was Francois (Quebecois), Joe (Lebanese) or Hossein (Iranian). I did know that they all drink wine, so bottles were left on doorsteps.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 5:01 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the pass was 15 out of 20 but hey ho. It's easy if you know the answers to the questions asked.

Mine was v easy but the questions my wife remembered from hers, I couldn't answer.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 5:26 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by Tangram
I thought the pass was 15 out of 20 but hey ho. It's easy if you know the answers to the questions asked.

Mine was v easy but the questions my wife remembered from hers, I couldn't answer.
I remember running the practice test past my (Canadian) wife. She failed dismally. Most cradles would, I suspect. They are not taught at school the stuff that comes up in that test.

Dates, people, what is in the Charter..........

They simply don't know.

As for geography, even the geography of Canada, forget it. Seriously, forget it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.