Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

very excited about Citizenship

very excited about Citizenship

Old Feb 1st 2017, 1:33 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default very excited about Citizenship

I dont know why I am so excited but we just received our email from CIC confirming that they have received our Citizenship application.
Its been a long time since we last received anything from them or waited for anything from them and its taken me right back to that time.

So, after much procrastination on our part we are finally on our way to leaping that final hurdle.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 2:06 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: very excited about Citizenship

congratulations to you all

BTW, not knowing how it all works - have you done the citizenship test yet?
Old Feb 1st 2017, 2:23 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck and pre-emptive welcome to the Citizenship club
Old Feb 1st 2017, 3:38 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
congratulations to you all

BTW, not knowing how it all works - have you done the citizenship test yet?
Thank you. Not yet.
You fill in the paperwork printed from the website, complete your calculation of presence test (you complete all dates and destinations outside of the US in the time since receiving PR), print this and attach (for adults).
Pay the fee online and print the receipt. Get the right photos (Costco are pros at this) Mail it all off (we did this last week) and await the email to say its received. Now we wait for a call to write the test.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 3:38 pm
Happy

Originally Posted by Tangram
Good luck and pre-emptive welcome to the Citizenship club

Thank you! I hope we past the friggin test...
Old Feb 1st 2017, 3:40 pm
Happy

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I mean PASS (as in current tense)
Cant edit on this computer for some reason
Old Feb 1st 2017, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
You will, its not difficult, but you have to read up on it, they will send you a booklet with all the information you need to know about Canada, much of it you will know already, but there are the more historic questions that can catch you out.

That said I took the British citizenship test and failed it! lol. There were a lot of what appeared to me stupid irrelevant questions on it that didnt really pertain to the UK!

Anyway that aside good luck with it all!
Old Feb 1st 2017, 4:55 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: very excited about Citizenship

Well done. You always strike me as someone happy with becoming Canadian, rather than gaining the citizenship as a kind of convenience / backup.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 5:07 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
You will, its not difficult, but you have to read up on it, they will send you a booklet with all the information you need to know about Canada, much of it you will know already, but there are the more historic questions that can catch you out.

That said I took the British citizenship test and failed it! lol. There were a lot of what appeared to me stupid irrelevant questions on it that didnt really pertain to the UK!

Anyway that aside good luck with it all!
The test is risibly easy. I aced it back in 2005. I tried the official practice test a few weeks ago, without revising. Pretty much aced that one too. I really have no idea how someone with basic reading skills and some form of memory cannot pass it.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
The test is risibly easy. I aced it back in 2005. I tried the official practice test a few weeks ago, without revising. Pretty much aced that one too. I really have no idea how someone with basic reading skills and some form of memory cannot pass it.
I agree, and as I said, if you have lived here for 5 years or so before hand you will already know a lot of it anyway without even reading about it.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Well done. You always strike me as someone happy with becoming Canadian, rather than gaining the citizenship as a kind of convenience / backup.
I sent off for the 'study' book as soon as we bought our house, so about 6 months after getting PR. I was disappointed when nothing happened about the change in how long it would take after JT was elected. But now we are at the point where we could apply next year. This seems close, and I have started to have a very small, niggling doubt about becoming a citizen, and I'm not at all sure why.

Good luck Howefamily!
Old Feb 1st 2017, 5:35 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Howe exited are you really
Old Feb 1st 2017, 5:49 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

It IS exciting. I was surprised at how emotional the ceremony was for me too.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 6:00 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

me too, not solely for me , but there were a lot of people at our ceremony who were from politically unstable countries. I can't imagine what the concept of having citizenship in a country where you are free to travel, vote or even just step out of the door without being harassed. A place where a knock on the front door is more likely to be a neighbor with a crate of beer as opposed to the secret police coming to drag you away, feels like
Old Feb 1st 2017, 6:11 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

For me it was not exiting, maybe more relieved I had got this far, being from a first world country like the UK it was just another step in the whole process of making Canada my home. Having citizenship just ment I didn't have to keep applying for PR.

I guess that anyone from a less privileged country would have been more exited than I was.

Last edited by magnumpi; Feb 1st 2017 at 6:19 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.