Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Vegetarian or Vegan. Thoughts?

Vegetarian or Vegan. Thoughts?

Old Jan 18th 2018, 11:37 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vegetarian or Vegan. Thoughts?

omnivorous
1 : feeding on both animal and vegetable substances

Doesn't mean you eat people.

If you're in a situation where you're vegetarian or vegan, you haven't eaten for some time and the only food available is not vegetarian or vegan, do you eat it?

Because if your answer to that question is: "no", I think you've got an eating disorder.

Last edited by Steve_; Jan 18th 2018 at 11:40 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 11:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Sometimes the only place open when you have hypoglycemia is a fast food restaurant.
Glucose tablets? Much better idea. Even fast food isn't that quick.
Sometimes the only place open when you have no food
And
Originally Posted by Steve_
If you're in a situation where you're vegetarian or vegan, you haven't eaten for some time and the only food available is not vegetarian or vegan, do you eat it?

Because if your answer to that question is: "no", I think you've got an eating disorder.
It sounds to me like the disorder might relate to a lack of organisation no matter what one is.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 11:59 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

I'm vegan - have been for 30 years now, and was vegetarian for about 6 years before that.

But I never made that decision for my kids - let alone anyone else. They've all had a variety of foods although perhaps not always the best meat sources since I can't bring myself to come some things. I don't have to worry now though as they are all adults.

I find that there are many more recipes and options available now than there were 30 years ago - I remember TVP and Sosmix, amongst other substitutes. I've got better at cooking a good variety of foods, and don't regularly take supplements (unless marmite counts ) although I will do on occasion when I know I haven't eaten well enough, or have been ill (which doesn't really happen much).

One thing I find funny, in an annoying sense, is the vegan jokes and questioning. By all accounts, as a vegan I should be telling you all of the damage you do eating meat, preaching and trying to convert you. The reality is that the reverse almost always occurs - everyone else trying to persuade me that I need a good steak, waving various foods at me, etc.

And no - not a stick insect, not anaemic, not a boring diet, etc, etc.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 12:22 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
...I remember TVP and Sosmix

don't regularly take supplements (unless marmite counts
Nope. Not a supplement, Marmite is a delicacy.

One thing I find funny, in an annoying sense, is the vegan jokes and questioning. By all accounts, as a vegan I should be telling you all of the damage you do eating meat, preaching and trying to convert you. The reality is that the reverse almost always occurs
Try reading the guardian; especially comments below articles. It's like IT columns where everyone tells you you'd be better using Linux

Be honest though, go to a restaurant (even a steakhouse) and there will be vegetarian options. Are there meat options in vegetarian restaurants?
Old Jan 19th 2018, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

Nope. Not a supplement, Marmite is a delicacy.

Try reading the guardian; especially comments below articles. It's like IT columns where everyone tells you you'd be better using Linux

Be honest though, go to a restaurant (even a steakhouse) and there will be vegetarian options. Are there meat options in vegetarian restaurants?
I love marmite. But it is an animal product.
I like meat kind of but I’m repulsed by the dead flesh on my chopping board.
I’m not either a “save the planet” kind of person or thinking “poor little animals”. I just dislike more and more having animal body parts to deal with in the kitchen.
Now if that means I have a mental issue I need to deal with then so be it! 🤮
Old Jan 19th 2018, 12:42 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I love marmite. But it is an animal product.
I like meat kind of but I’m repulsed by the dead flesh on my chopping board.
I’m not either a “save the planet” kind of person or thinking “poor little animals”. I just dislike more and more having animal body parts to deal with in the kitchen.
Now if that means I have a mental issue I need to deal with then so be it! � ����
Marmite isn't an animal product it's a biproduct if brewing so unless you count the nematodes at the bottom of the vat it's veggie, Tho hang in, where does the B12 supplement come from?

Last edited by bats; Jan 19th 2018 at 12:52 am.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Marmite isn't an animal product it's a biproduct if brewing so unless you count the nematodes at the bottom of the vat it's veggie, Tho hang in, where fuel the B12 supplement come from?
Interesting. I had always believed it was. I just checked their website and they say it’s good for vegetarians and vegans. So that’s a relief if I continue to go crazy.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 1:08 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Interesting. I had always believed it was. I just checked their website and they say it’s good for vegetarians and vegans. So that’s a relief if I continue to go crazy.
Marmite says Yeast Extract but I could swear I remember it said Beef Extract about 50 years ago.

Of course it might just be that it was associated with Bovril which is beef extract.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 1:23 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Marmite says Yeast Extract but I could swear I remember it said Beef Extract about 50 years ago.

Of course it might just be that it was associated with Bovril which is beef extract.
Yes you are confused. It's always been veggie. It's the stuff left at the bottom of a beer vat. There's no beef in beer. Or is there?
Old Jan 19th 2018, 1:45 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you are confused. It's always been veggie. It's the stuff left at the bottom of a beer vat. There's no beef in beer. Or is there?
There's no beef in beer but you do have to be careful about wines that can be served to vegetarians.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 1:46 am
Oscar nominated

There's no beef in beer. Or is there?
It's possible if you drop your bovril crisps in your pint.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Exactly. Because my vegetarian sister wouldn’t eat it and would eat vegemite instead.
Maybe they’ve changed the recipe?
Old Jan 19th 2018, 1:50 am
limey party pooper

It's possible if you drop your bovril crisps in your pint.
They wouldn't dunk well at all.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 4:08 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Vegetarians are counter revolutionaries
Old Jan 19th 2018, 4:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Someone here is confusing Marmite with Bovril. The latter is made from dead cows. Marmite Down Under is Vegemite.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.