Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Vegetarian or Vegan. Thoughts?

Vegetarian or Vegan. Thoughts?

Old Jan 14th 2018, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vegetarian or Vegan. Thoughts?

My younger daughter (almost 18) officially went veggie about 3 years ago but to be honest, ever since finding out bacon came from piggies at about age 5, has never really eaten much meat. Just the occasional sausages and nuggets ( awful meat and yes, from piggies too). So it wasn’t a huge adjustment for her. And she has never wavered. The whole family has ended up eating more veggie-based meals with some of those Yves products for example.

Then last January she was confirmed celiac so that just adds even more of a challenge for her. Veggie and gluten free can be difficult and eating out is a huge difficulty. And nearly all that Yves stuff has wheat in it.

My older daughter has given up most dairy and meat, but does eat fish.

We parents rarely eat red meat but do have chicken regularly.

I feel like I should watch some of those documentaries but I’m deliberately doing the head in the sand bit because once you watch those, you cannot un-see it!

So basically, organic chicken and tons of veggies and homemade gluten-free cookies are the staples in this house 😉. I suppose I have been intolerant at times of faddy diets but I think the population and food industry as a whole has been slowly embracing these decisions. Although not gluten free myself, I am still surprised at how difficult it is to find stuff.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 7:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I've been tempted to say something flippant like plants have feelings too but instead I'll just point out that Romaine Lettuce can kill.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...ency-says.html
Old Jan 14th 2018, 8:14 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I suppose that makes 2lbs dry a bit bulkier when cooked than 2lbs ground beef.

The Amazon Canada one worked out nearly $11 lb including mailing.
The Amazon America one wouldn't deliver here so I couldn't compare.

Shame you can't get Quorn though. I massively preferred it and it was worth the extra cost.

Anyway...time to get the roast beef on for dinner.
A 2lb jar would give you the equivalent of around 6lb of ground beef. Think along the lines of 1/3rd lb TVP to make the equivalent of 1lb of cooked ground beef, once reconstituted.

I wouldn't order less items than the minimum for free shipping, so if you exclude shipping that would be $2.33 per equivalent lb.

Sorry about the .com issue - that's really annoying!

Old Jan 14th 2018, 9:32 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
...I wouldn't order less items than the minimum for free shipping, so if you exclude shipping that would be $2.33 per equivalent lb...
I'm more likely to see if I can hit the $35 with something else. There might very well be something else worth it.

Thanks for the comparison.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 9:43 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

It may be me, but I seem to feel a hint of reluctance (in BE land) on this particular thread. Is there really a bunch of potential vegetarians out there who don’t yet feel comfortable enough to come out of the closet?

What’s with all this ‘meat substitute’ chatter? I’ve never used it or even bothered to look for it. If I’m cooking veggie, I’m cooking veggie, no pretence.

There’s no ‘meat police’ that one has to unsubscribe oneself from, just do it in your own time. Once a week, whenever. Go back to meat or fish whenever you like.

Appreciate that may not resonate too well across the board.

Eldest step-daughter and myself are the veggie campaigners here, OH and younger step-daughter are hard-core carnivores. But they are gracious in accepting my veggie meals.

Picking up on BristolUK’s point about ready made sauces, here too (in this rotten country) I feel a bit limited on choice after having lived in the UK, but I tend to pimp most shop bought sauces anyway. I often use Nasi/Bami Goreng dried mixes with rice/noodles; add a few vegetables – and on the odd occasion, shock/horror - some meat or fish.

There are no rules – do what you feel good with.

Above all, enjoy it.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 10:14 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
It may be me, but I seem to feel a hint of reluctance (in BE land) on this particular thread. Is there really a bunch of potential vegetarians out there who don’t yet feel comfortable enough to come out of the closet?
Not me. And nobody has even mentioned rare steak yet. Not sure beetroot would be an adequate alternative.

What’s with all this ‘meat substitute’ chatter? I’ve never used it or even bothered to look for it. If I’m cooking veggie, I’m cooking veggie, no pretence.
I'm sure things have changed but it really was always Nut Roast as an alternative to roast meat, nut cutlets veggie sausages/burgers and even veggie meatloaf.

...I often use Nasi/Bami Goreng dried mixes with rice/noodles...
You're not so deprived then.
On holiday in the Netherlands once, we went to one of the many (to put it mildly) Indonesian restaurants. We had what was supposed to be Nasi Goreng and it was fantastic. Some time in the 80s.

But back in Bristol I saw it on the menu of a Malaysian restaurant and it was quite different. Internet searches reveal it to be little more than Fried Rice but what we had was far more than that and consisted of of about five plates of meat and a couple of plates of rice. It was way more than us six lads could eat.

I may be doing it a disservice thinking of it as merely fried rice, but compared to what we had, it was.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 10:46 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Not me. And nobody has even mentioned rare steak yet. Not sure beetroot would be an adequate alternative. :lol
Right then, I'll break the ice.

I love steak tartare. Here in Geneva there's a chef (the toad keeps moving restaurant) who does various forms of lightly flambéed tartare; the vodka one is called Natasha, the Cognac one is called Michelle and so on.

Heaven on a plate.

And no beetroot in sight, thank goodness.

... On holiday in the Netherlands once, we went to one of the many (to put it mildly) Indonesian restaurants. We had what was supposed to be Nasi Goreng and it was fantastic. Some time in the 80s...
Still there, still going strong and as good as ever. Shame that you got a lesser representation of that dish back in the UK.

It is at the end of the day fried rice - it's how it's done that counts.

Old Jan 14th 2018, 11:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Like everyone else, I have a daughter who was vegetarian from less than age 10 to an epiphany at university. In the midst of this we drove out to California so as to spin the wheels in the surf. There's a band across Kansas and Nebraska where the Indians have not yet come; pasta you can have, salad is an option, but don't go asking for separate pots and utensils.

The daughter was enjoyable dismissive of vegans "fruitarians who lack commitment".
Old Jan 15th 2018, 10:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Another one offended!

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/r...-a3733301.html
Old Jan 15th 2018, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Oh no!! lol

It seems the offendometer has had to be recalibrated these days to cope with all this offending going on everywhere!
Old Jan 15th 2018, 2:41 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Oh no!! lol

It seems the offendometer has had to be recalibrated these days to cope with all this offending going on everywhere!
I'm not sure that one person being offended (assuming they weren't having a bit of fun) is actually newsworthy.

Except, maybe, in the case where offence was expected to be widespread but it was only one.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 2:42 pm
Gloves off

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Ha ha!

And I chuckled at this comment:
Originally Posted by dbd33
"fruitarians who lack commitment".
My apologies to the original poster and possibly others in what may be perceived to have been an attempt to hijack this thread for carnivorous purposes.

That was never my intent, honest.

I rose to BristolUK's bait.

Please stop slamming nut-roast: when properly made, it's absolutely wonderful.

There's no need even to buy packet mixes, it's easy-peasy assuming one has a retail outlet that sells ground nuts. One can grind them oneself, but I find that Brazil nuts tend to be oilier, clog up the coffee grinder, and cause OH to comment on the weird taste to her coffee the following day.

In this household Brazil nuts in a roast are for 'special occaisions', the rest of the time we slum it with hazels and almonds.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 11:21 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I think the whole thing is stupid, which is illustrated to me by one of my best friends who is a hardcore vegan. Basically she started off being vegan then decided the corporations were still ripping her off and went off anything with gluten in it, and then decided no junk foods like chips, etc. and frankly at this point has basically developed a major eating disorder as well as paranoid personality disorder. So bad that she suffers from hypotension and her doctor thinks she might die from it, I've been trying to get her to put glucose powder in everything she drinks which is basically the only thing keeping her alive, imo.

Speaking as a diabetic with high blood pressure, the main thing to do is avoid salt, you should never consume more than the RDA of sodium and if you look at the labels on foods, you will find that is very hard to do.

Also being diabetic, you can't be pathological about what you eat. Sometimes the only place open when you have hypoglycemia and have no food is a fast food restaurant.

Omnivorous animals selectively choosing not to be omnivorous is an eating disorder imo.

And I never understand why vegans and vegetarians like to eat things that look like meat, like veggie burgers. Do you want to eat meat or not? Usually these things are made from soy protein which has a laxative effect as well.

My sister is a vegetarian and she can't even eat stuff that looks like meat, that to me is an actual vegetarian. Although personally I still think it's some kind of mental disorder, if eating a burger made of soy makes you still think you're eating an animal - bearing in mind you can eat animals. Some sort of animal-related trauma, imo.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 11:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

"The production of honey is based on the exploitation of bees and is therefore unethical." Thus spake a fellow-teacher I met in Saudi Arabia. He was earning his way in this world by working for BAe, ie the Military Industrial Complex. OK to take a salary from a bunch of mercenaries selling armaments but not eat honey on your toast !

These people are nuts. My friend in Saudi was deported from the Kingdom after having a crazy fit. Since then I have been wary of vegans and PETA-supporters.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 11:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Personally I think the whole thing is stupid, which is illustrated to me by one of my best friends who is a hardcore vegan. Basically she started off being vegan then decided the corporations were still ripping her off and went off anything with gluten in it, and then decided no junk foods like chips, etc. and frankly at this point has basically developed a major eating disorder as well as paranoid personality disorder. So bad that she suffers from hypotension and her doctor thinks she might die from it, I've been trying to get her to put glucose powder in everything she drinks which is basically the only thing keeping her alive, imo.

Speaking as a diabetic with high blood pressure, the main thing to do is avoid salt, you should never consume more than the RDA of sodium and if you look at the labels on foods, you will find that is very hard to do.

Also being diabetic, you can't be pathological about what you eat. Sometimes the only place open when you have hypoglycemia and have no food is a fast food restaurant.

Omnivorous animals selectively choosing not to be omnivorous is an eating disorder imo.

And I never understand why vegans and vegetarians like to eat things that look like meat, like veggie burgers. Do you want to eat meat or not? Usually these things are made from soy protein which has a laxative effect as well.

My sister is a vegetarian and she can't even eat stuff that looks like meat, that to me is an actual vegetarian. Although personally I still think it's some kind of mental disorder, if eating a burger made of soy makes you still think you're eating an animal - bearing in mind you can eat animals. Some sort of animal-related trauma, imo.
Hell, yeah, it's only the likes of Jeffrey Dahmer and Hannibal Lecter who have a truly comprehensive diet. They're all mad, these people who choose to eat some things and not others.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.