Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Vegetarian or Vegan. Thoughts?

Vegetarian or Vegan. Thoughts?

Old Jan 14th 2018, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vegetarian or Vegan. Thoughts?

Originally Posted by hannah1001
We're hiding from the usual veggie-bashing we have grown to expect! (Not on BE but in the wider world).

I became vegetarian aged 6 due to my disgust at mass farming methods in the 1980s. I have remained so due to environmental reasons and because I'm a softy where animals are concerned. I suppose I should be vegan, but that's too much for me. I do what I can. I have no issue with people eating meat, as long as it's ethically sourced, but it's not for me, and I don't believe it's sustainable at current rates.
If you have concerns with eating meat give vegetarianism a go. It's a lot easier now than in the 1980s! Even if you don't go the whole hog, just reducing your meat intake and ensuring it's ethically sourced helps.
I agree, that's why it's perfectly acceptable to shoot bambi's mum in the face and eat her. Ethically sourced sustainable food.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 2:11 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter was a veggie for several years, but now eats meat. I think we eat too much meat. I try to have meat for one meal a day, can usually do this and I am more than happy to have meat free meals a few times a week, for example if OH is having sausage egg and chips, I'll have egg chips and beans. I definitely put less meat on my plate.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 3:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I dont eat a ton of meat but I am not willing to go vegetarian and certainly not vegan.

I did try vegetarian about 10 years ago and it didnt work out. I never liked vegetables much so it was doomed for failure.

There are way too many foods I like cheese, ice cream, eggs, honey etc that use animal products so vegan is not an option for me.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

My interest isn’t driven by feelings that I want to save the environment or for animal rights etc.
More and more I think about what meat actually is - dead flesh - and I get feelings of revulsion.

I know...yuck!!!
Old Jan 14th 2018, 5:51 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
My interest isn’t driven by feelings that I want to save the environment or for animal rights etc.
More and more I think about what meat actually is - dead flesh - and I get feelings of revulsion.
I know...yuck!!!
Once upon a time there were two people. One was called Adam and one was called Eve. They ate an apple. They were vegetarians after all. They may have even been vegans. they were happy exploring what differences separated them but there was a certain monotomy to their diet and it got on their nerves.

First of all they ran out of apples, so they ate cherries. It wasn't long before they'd wiped out all the apple and cherry trees on earth and the chilli bushes looked at one another and decided things needed to change.

'Arrggghhhhchh!" yelled Adam clutching his burning throat with Eve telling him to never come near ever again and to keep his tongue to himself in future.

Times were bad, Adam had no friends. Eve had lots of friends but they were of the more furry fauna of early earth and although satisfying her they smelt really awful.

It was on the seventh day that a wandering Adam found Eve lying under a chilli bush reading the first best selling cookery book ever written entitled 'How to cook really juicy steaks'

Adam looked at Eve and licked his lips. Eve looked at Adam and licked hers. She noted a passing cow and reached for a chopper.

It was some time later that Eve smiled and enfused 'that was the best piece of meat I've ever eaten'.

It was minutes earlier that Adam had collapsed wondering where Eve had got the axe from.

It was the cow who looked at the future and wondered 'where are these buggers going to get these things called steaks from?'
Old Jan 14th 2018, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
Once upon a time there were two people. One was called Adam and one was called Eve. They ate an apple. They were vegetarians after all. They may have even been vegans. they were happy exploring what differences separated them but there was a certain monotomy to their diet and it got on their nerves.

First of all they ran out of apples, so they ate cherries. It wasn't long before they'd wiped out all the apple and cherry trees on earth and the chilli bushes looked at one another and decided things needed to change.

'Arrggghhhhchh!" yelled Adam clutching his burning throat with Eve telling him to never come near ever again and to keep his tongue to himself in future.

Times were bad, Adam had no friends. Eve had lots of friends but they were of the more furry fauna of early earth and although satisfying her they smelt really awful.

It was on the seventh day that a wandering Adam found Eve lying under a chilli bush reading the first best selling cookery book ever written entitled 'How to cook really juicy steaks'

Adam looked at Eve and licked his lips. Eve looked at Adam and licked hers. She noted a passing cow and reached for a chopper.

It was some time later that Eve smiled and enfused 'that was the best piece of meat I've ever eaten'.

It was minutes earlier that Adam had collapsed wondering where Eve had got the axe from.

It was the cow who looked at the future and wondered 'where are these buggers going to get these things called steaks from?'
And I thought I was crazy!
Old Jan 14th 2018, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Verdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond repute

Meh, as a vegan I don't care what anyone else eats as long as it's not shoved down my throat.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 9:33 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

My wife was vegetarian for about 15 years, she now eats meat but could quite easily give it up. Daughter has currently been veggie for about a year. I say veggie but from what I see she seems to exist on yoghurt, apples and crisps. Son was veggie but now exists on McDonald's and Haribos.

We always use Quorn for things like chilli, tastes just as good as mince. I could, at a push, give up meat but could never go vegan as I love eggs too much. I eat eggs just about every single day.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I know...yuck!!!
If that's how you feel, you should go vegetarian/vegan.

As another poster said, these aren't the 1980s anymore. I can't imagine you would have much trouble, unless you travel in the Far North.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Become a vegetarian? Each to their own. As for me, more chance of me embracing Islam and becoming a Jahadi...Most food items I eat must have been capable of farting at some time in it's development before eventually gracing my table.

Last edited by macadian; Jan 14th 2018 at 10:47 am.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by carcajou
If that's how you feel, you should go vegetarian/vegan.

As another poster said, these aren't the 1980s anymore. I can't imagine you would have much trouble, unless you travel in the Far North.
I agree. If I was living alone I would do it I think or at least give it a try.
I live with three men who love their meat which makes it harder.
It’s been interesting getting the comments though. I thought there would be more vegetarians instead most of you are die hard meat eaters.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
My wife was vegetarian for about 15 years, she now eats meat but could quite easily give it up. Daughter has currently been veggie for about a year. I say veggie but from what I see she seems to exist on yoghurt, apples and crisps. Son was veggie but now exists on McDonald's and Haribos.
Teenagers by any chance? 🤣
Old Jan 14th 2018, 12:37 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

What the hell's wrong with honey? It's healthy, sweet, never goes bad and a key ingredient of the apple-cider-vinegar - honey - hot water drink that dirt hippies used to take every morning. Banning honey is just crazy.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 12:43 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Teenagers by any chance? 🤣
of course
Old Jan 14th 2018, 1:28 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

2.5 years vegetarian in my early 30's. I enjoyed it. Ethically, I am against eating meat and there are many problems with the industrial production of meat. I switched back as it was just so much hassle having to eat out socially and not be able to enjoy or accept certain foods. Especially in France where they will laugh in your face at the concept!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.