Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Variable Speed Limits

Variable Speed Limits

Old Dec 4th 2015, 7:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Variable Speed Limits

Are finally coming to parts of BC highways.

Since people cant understand bad weather means you cant go 100km per hour the province is putting digital signs on some hwys including to Whistler that will change with weather conditions.

Based on the work I saw today. Should not be long before theu are up and running on the sea to sky.
Old Dec 4th 2015, 7:32 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Variable Speed Limits

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
...you cant go 100km per hour...
If they don't like the conditions that come with being able to drive why do they apply for driving status?

(Sorry - just applying the same logic some use for those objecting to the oath for citizenship )
Old Dec 7th 2015, 3:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Are finally coming to parts of BC highways.

Since people cant understand bad weather means you cant go 100km per hour the province is putting digital signs on some hwys including to Whistler that will change with weather conditions.

Based on the work I saw today. Should not be long before theu are up and running on the sea to sky.
We need these in Ontario.

IMHO - Driving at 130-140km/h on a straight part of the 401 when everyone else in your lane is also doing so, and it is a clear day and the roads are in good condition, is not "unsafe". Driving down the same part of the road in the dead of winter at 140 is unsafe however. Same with driving down the hamilton mountain, thats daunting for me even at 100 in the right lane.

Variable speed limits would help ensure consistency on the highways, rather than the current free-for-all, "hope I don't get pulled over" it currently is. The dumbest thing I learned in drivers ed was this: If you've driven on the 401 in Toronto you may have seen signs that say "Zero tolerance" - this means that in this area there is zero tolerance for over the speed limit. But there *is* a tolerance on other parts of the highway? What is the tolerance? Guess it depends on how the cop feels. Its too ambiguous. Everyone knows that no one really travels 100 km/h on the highway, but yet by fluke someone I know was pulled over going 120. She pleaded the nervous sobbing driver and got off with a $150 fine and no demerits but still... I think its time Canada and Ontario re-think their speed limits.
Old Dec 7th 2015, 4:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit

IMHO - Driving at 130-140km/h on a straight part of the 401 when everyone else in your lane is also doing so, and it is a clear day and the roads are in good condition, is not "unsafe". Driving down the same part of the road in the dead of winter at 140 is unsafe however. Same with driving down the hamilton mountain, thats daunting for me even at 100 in the right lane.

Variable speed limits would help ensure consistency on the highways, rather than the current free-for-all, "hope I don't get pulled over" it currently is. The dumbest thing I learned in drivers ed was this: If you've driven on the 401 in Toronto you may have seen signs that say "Zero tolerance" - this means that in this area there is zero tolerance for over the speed limit. But there *is* a tolerance on other parts of the highway? What is the tolerance? Guess it depends on how the cop feels. Its too ambiguous. Everyone knows that no one really travels 100 km/h on the highway, but yet by fluke someone I know was pulled over going 120. She pleaded the nervous sobbing driver and got off with a $150 fine and no demerits but still... I think its time Canada and Ontario re-think their speed limits.
BC has been experimenting with increases in limits on various highways, but the highway's getting these are not exactly high limits where most of the accidents occur, the issue is lack of ability of drivers to drive to the conditions.

At some parts it goes down to 60/km hr, and on a dry sunny day you can likely get away with going 100 around the corners, but add in rain or ice and accidents happen.

The highway I am talking about here has limits as low as 60 and as high as 100 depending where you are on it.

Very little speed enforcement though on the Sea to Sky.

Now BC has nothing like the 401, which is more of a US style freeway.
Old Dec 7th 2015, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

So, will this be like the time I was driving along the M25 at 2am, and there was suddenly a 30mph variable speed limit sign, leaving me wondering whether I should ignore it and risk a speed camera ticket, or slow down and have someone go into the back of me at 80mph?
Old Dec 7th 2015, 1:38 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
So, will this be like the time I was driving along the M25 at 2am, and there was suddenly a 30mph variable speed limit sign, leaving me wondering whether I should ignore it and risk a speed camera ticket, or slow down and have someone go into the back of me at 80mph?
Don't like it, don't apply for the right to drive

(just making the same general point I made before)
Old Dec 7th 2015, 1:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit

The 401 has variable speed limits. Sometimes there are flashing signs saying 80 or other values, all of them lower than the 100 which is the nominal standard limit.
Old Dec 7th 2015, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
So you're saying I should have slowed down to 30mph, and caused a major pileup because no-one else was?
Old Dec 7th 2015, 3:50 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

the issue is lack of ability of drivers to drive to the conditions.
The issue is many folks cannot drive, period.

What can we expect when a new driver can be taught by anyone with a license, whether they know how to drive or not or have any idea how to teach.
Old Dec 7th 2015, 7:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Originally Posted by Aviator
This, This and This again.

The 400 highways around Toronto need active traffic management. The big problem is that they all floor it to get 10 feet then have to slam on the brakes. Slowing and spreading the traffic would help a lot.

Overhead gantry signs with cameras on with video operators monitoring driver behaviour. Big Brother yes but the Cradles need spoon feeding when it comes to driving.
Old Dec 7th 2015, 7:18 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

(just making the same general point I made before)
Maybe the people who disagree with this new ruling can be provided for by the tax payer by having their own, "IDLTNR" lane and they could all drink eat and smoke n drive, not wear seat belts and drive as fast or as slow as they wish.

(I Dont like the new rules)
Old Dec 7th 2015, 10:36 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by MarkG
They appear to also be placing warning signs in advance to warn drivers the speed is slowing ahead.

Currently there is no consistent speed limit, it varies as low as 60 to as high as 100, and not like they provide much warning of a speed change as it is now.

The new variable signs actually appear to be giving more advance notice then currently.
Old Dec 7th 2015, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Aviator

What can we expect when a new driver can be taught by anyone with a license, whether they know how to drive or not or have any idea how to teach.
I certainly agree there. This highway isn't unsafe if one adjusts their speed when necessary. Somewhere along the line, people have forgotten the max speed signs are for ideal weather, not in the snow or pouring rain.

Now if we could get Alberta drivers to slow down, they are the worst. If your being tail gated or a truck fly's by at a high rate of speed, almost always has an Alberta plate.

Would also help if there was speed enforcement, it's well known there is no enforcement between Squamish and Whistler and people drive knowing they won't get caught unless they are in an accident. The province has no interest in speed enforcement on this highway, the RCMP within the municipal boundaries do enforce speeding, but in between, well unless there is an accident, you never see a cop.

Our car can barely do 100 in those zones because its small, so speeding is not something I do on this highway, but I have driven it enough to know, speeding is no wise and the speed limits are set the way they are because going faster good chance your going off the highway into oncoming traffic or into the side of the mountain or into a ditch.

Trucks though do seem to be involved in more accidents, in summer it's motor cycles.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Dec 7th 2015 at 10:44 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2015, 11:55 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

I still don't get the tail gate mentality here, too many times I see a car inches from the car in front !! WTF is it with Canadian drivers ? Are they all short sighted or sumat?
Old Dec 8th 2015, 1:34 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by magnumpi
I still don't get the tail gate mentality here, too many times I see a car inches from the car in front !! WTF is it with Canadian drivers ? Are they all short sighted or sumat?
The driving here is horrendous, California doesn't have the best drivers, but the amount of aggressive poor driving here in BC is just crazy... Even WA state drivers manage to driver fairly decent...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.