USA refugees Huh?

Old Aug 28th 2017, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA refugees Huh?

Originally Posted by dbd33
Someone like paw339, rather than someone like you?
After your post, I went back and read paw339's posts and see no bigotry there either. I find it bizarre you are attacking people who support the migration and refugee process and are rightly pointing out risks that may lead to political winds winding these programs back, which neither myself nor paw339 wants to happen.

You want Trump to win again in 2020, and Le Pen to win at the next French election? Keep handing a microphone to posters who wrongly, falsely and immorally accuse others of racial hatred over political disagreements and non-racial/ethnic vocabulary choices like a crazy person.

Last edited by carcajou; Aug 28th 2017 at 12:18 am.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 7:33 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Is there a legal pathway to residence that they have not taken advantage of? If so, put them on that and leave them alone.

If there is no legal pathway to residence, then they should be returned to Mexico. If there is no legal pathway - they should not be rewarded for illegally entering the country and avoiding detection for x number of years.

No country in the world has an obligation to give residency to anyone who asks for it, and it would be insanity to go down that route.

Why should Mexican undocumenteds get special treatment, compared to other nationalities?

Or, more to the point, is this a pressing issue that the United States should be prioritising? I would argue it is not and resources should go into other things, and I also did not vote for Trump (I have a US passport) nor will I vote for him in 2020. But he did win and we have to live with that, for at least another three years.
Laws and rules can change, and laws should change if the situation warrants it. That's whats happening with refugee situations such as Syria and Haiti, and to a lesser extent with non-status Mexican kids. Fair-minded and compassionate people see desperate breaches of humanity, and believe that actions should come ahead of imperfect laws/rules that were drawn up in other eras and under other circumstances. To hide behind legality, to pay lip service to the desperation of others, but insist nothing can be done reveals your true nature. As Trump, who remarkably, did not get your vote, would say...sad!
Old Aug 28th 2017, 1:34 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

No, they don't have that information - not if you just show up and say "no papers" and/or give false information. That is NOT an urban myth. The authorities will then let you into the community rather than inter you and you can be gone/disappeared.

As you put it so well - "claim" to come from.

UN processing centres are places of safety with food and shelter where processing of legitimate refugees can be done. If you do it the other way like Merkel - where the vast, vast majority of people entering Europe are not refugees at all - the number of actual refugees making it through is far smaller.

Then as the other poster said that vast majority of fake refugees make it enormously tougher for the legitimate ones.

Australia's centres are not inhumane. Fake refugees don't like getting stopped on their way to Australia and then, after refusing to provide authentic documents, have to wait there while the authorities find out who they really are rather than just enter into the community and disappear like in Europe.

I have no problem letting in legitimate, bona fide refugees - I do have a problem with letting in 100 fake ones for every legitimate one, which is the road Trudeau is going to go down, and is going to result in the same backlash as Brexit, Trump, Le Pen, and so on. Only I think the stakes in Canada are a lot higher because the epicentre of this is a province with two independence referendums already under its belt.
Oh, no - not at all. Australia's offshore detention centres are the picture of health and happiness, I'm sure. That's why Amnesty International conducted this investigation https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/ne...gees-on-nauru/ and many other international media organizations (who have typically smuggled reporters in, as the Australian government has banned media from these "camps") have reported on the appalling conditions.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 1:51 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

You are completely and totally wrong (again). You say you read my previous post but it's clear it didn't sink in. Go back and re-read the part where it says a "bigot" is someone with intolerance/hatred to racial or ethnic groups, not someone who disagrees with you about something or isn't sufficiently left wing for you. The use of the word "swamped" indicates nothing ethnic or racial and it's ludicrous you would even go there.
I'm quite flattered that you're haranguing me so much. Thank you.

Please check the meaning of bigotry as you haven't quite got the hang of it, the meaning that is, you've obviously got the hang of the action.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I'm quite flattered that you're haranguing me so much. Thank you.

Please check the meaning of bigotry as you haven't quite got the hang of it, the meaning that is, you've obviously got the hang of the action.
"An intolerance towards those who hold a different opinion to oneself"

I always have to smile when noting that those that use the word "bigot" are usually those that are exhibiting bigotry themselves; not unlike the present situation.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 3:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian

I always have to smile when noting that those that use the word "bigot" are usually those that are exhibiting bigotry themselves; not unlike the present situation.
That's really not the common definition though.
Merriam Webster has
Definition of bigot

: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (such as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance
That's obviously the context used here.

It's pretty weird to describe the disapproval of hatred and intolerant bigotry as bigotry.

I must admit to being surprised at the Oxford English definition though.

I've never heard anyone described as a bigot for strongly taking a different opinion to others. Or even being intolerant of that opinion. In my experience it's an intolerance of the person that's demonstrated not that person's opinion.

Last edited by BristolUK; Aug 28th 2017 at 3:55 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 3:53 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Merriam Webster has

It's pretty weird to describe the disapproval of hatred and intolerant bigotry as bigotry.
Quite. That's a long way down the road to weaselling around with "there was violence on both sides," IMO.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Merriam Webster has

I must admit to being surprised at the Oxford English definition though.

I've never heard anyone described as a bigot for strongly taking a different opinion to others. Or even being intolerant of that opinion. In my experience it's an intolerance of the person that's demonstrated not that person's opinion.
Well, in my experience, people on boards such as this are usually described as being a bigot when their opinion is different to that of the one accusing them of bigotry.

Could you please show me where the poster referred to has demonstrated either of the definitions.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 5:15 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I agree with AC's definition and I'm quite willing to accept that I can be bigoted I try and fight it which is why I normally ignore ACs's posts.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 5:28 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Could you please show me where the poster referred to has demonstrated either of the definitions.
In Bats and carcajou's exchanges?
Sure. Just give me some time to catch up on last night's Twin Peaks and I'll be back later with the examples.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 7:08 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to make myself very unpopular yet again.

When I read some of these posts, I have to ask myself whether their owners are long for this world given their rising levels of blood pressure. I picture puffed up red faces and imagine heads exploding.

Too many have fixed views on too many subjects and an inability to consider other points of view and far too many just don't read the posts as they are intended preferring to read into them what isn't there.

It really is a shame that a forum for discussion descends far too often into insults.

Calm down and have a glass of the red stuff... and I don't mean blood.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
I'm going to make myself very unpopular yet again.

When I read some of these posts, I have to ask myself whether their owners are long for this world given their rising levels of blood pressure. I picture puffed up red faces and imagine heads exploding.

Too many have fixed views on too many subjects and an inability to consider other points of view and far too many just don't read the posts as they are intended preferring to read into them what isn't there.

It really is a shame that a forum for discussion descends far too often into insults.

Calm down and have a glass of the red stuff... and I don't mean blood.
Well said. Totally agree with you.

This is an interesting article.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/08/o...tolerance.html
Old Aug 28th 2017, 7:40 pm
Oscar nominated

Okay AC, so there's the assumption that they are all system abusers, queue jumpers and that they will all disappear. Aside from that blanket approach to the adults, there are children involved too, who have no say. Send them all back is the clear attitude.

In another post the assumption that there will be "hundreds and thousands" pretending to be Haitians.

"100 fake refugees for every genuine one"

The negative slant this puts on the group of people concerned seems to fit reasonably well with an intolerance of a group of people.

The word 'swamped' is well used by racists. To use it in reference to foreign people wanting to move to a country can't just be waved away as innocent. That's a bit like walking through an area of the UK with a largely immigrant populace, waving a union jack and claiming you're just showing love for your country.

The other definition of being intolerant of those with a different opinion? How about this one?

Oh my goodness another one of "those" posters.
Now that might be relatively mild but it's identifying, stereotyping and belittling a group of people with a different opinion.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 8:20 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Oh, no - not at all. Australia's offshore detention centres are the picture of health and happiness, I'm sure. That's why Amnesty International conducted this investigation https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/ne...gees-on-nauru/ and many other international media organizations (who have typically smuggled reporters in, as the Australian government has banned media from these "camps") have reported on the appalling conditions.
Wonder if the Australian Gov will be handing out 10m$ to each of the released tenants when they have completed their vacations
Old Aug 29th 2017, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

The word 'swamped' is well used by racists. n.
I got so pissed once, I swamped the bed....am I a racist?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.