US Netflix DNS

Old Mar 17th 2013, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Netflix DNS

Originally Posted by bats
Yep, I coped with setting it up too,, we have two laptops, a Wii and tablet on the network. Somehow the BB C knows we aren't in the uk though for the tablet.

PS, to co from Netflix USA to UK do you have to register and pay twice?? If I try to access the UK one I end up back on the USA one.
I set up an account with unblock-us yesterday. Changed the router settings as shown on their website. The laptop can use a wireless connection to connect to the router and BBC Iplayer works fine. Hower, the Xbox connected to the router using a wired connection won't download the BBC Iplayer app as it doesn't appear to recognise the location as the UK. How did you connect the Wii?

I'm using the Cisco DPC3825 wireless gateway supplied by Shaw with a Linksys WRT160N router.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 4:15 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
I set up an account with unblock-us yesterday. Changed the router settings as shown on their website. The laptop can use a wireless connection to connect to the router and BBC Iplayer works fine. Hower, the Xbox connected to the router using a wired connection won't download the BBC Iplayer app as it doesn't appear to recognise the location as the UK. How did you connect the Wii?

I'm using the Cisco DPC3825 wireless gateway supplied by Shaw with a Linksys WRT160N router.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you need a UK xbox live account in order to get the iPlayer app.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you need a UK xbox live account in order to get the iPlayer app.
Good point - could be I don't know. I'll have a look. I have a UK and a Canadian Xbox live account. I let the UK one lapse but maybe I'll have to reactivate it? Can the BBC Iplayer be used on the Wii?
Old Mar 17th 2013, 4:46 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Good point - could be I don't know. I'll have a look. I have a UK and a Canadian Xbox live account. I let the UK one lapse but maybe I'll have to reactivate it? Can the BBC Iplayer be used on the Wii?
Sorry don't have experience on the wii - but this guide here seems fairly straight forward. Again, do you need UK accounts for the wii shop?
Old Mar 18th 2013, 1:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I did the same yesterday too. My Xbox allows me to get onto the BBC Iplayer but I then have issues as it won't allow me to download flash to be able to view programmes. The reason stated is something like "Xbox will note permit the installation of XX onto the console, please use an external device" or something to that effect.

Not being a techie, I don't know is this is what you are referring to above.

Does anyone know a workaround of my issue?
Old Mar 18th 2013, 1:18 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I'll check the Wii again. We tend to just watch Netflix on the Wii but I think for BBC we just go in via the Opera platform.
My tablet still won't let me download the app I need to watch BBC as it knows I am in Canada. When I am back in the UK in June I will download the app and hopefully it will work back here.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bats
I'll check the Wii again. We tend to just watch Netflix on the Wii but I think for BBC we just go in via the Opera platform.
My tablet still won't let me download the app I need to watch BBC as it knows I am in Canada. When I am back in the UK in June I will download the app and hopefully it will work back here.
The Wii hardly ever gets used. I had a look today and set it up for using Netflix. I downloaded the BBC Iplayer software but when it came to playing a program it detected a non UK location and wouldn't do it. (The Wii is actually from the UK.)
Old Mar 18th 2013, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I did the same yesterday too. My Xbox allows me to get onto the BBC Iplayer but I then have issues as it won't allow me to download flash to be able to view programmes. The reason stated is something like "Xbox will note permit the installation of XX onto the console, please use an external device" or something to that effect.

Not being a techie, I don't know is this is what you are referring to above.

Does anyone know a workaround of my issue?
When I select to download the BBC Iplayer it detects a non UK location straight away. I don't know if thats due to the IP address or the location of the Xboxlive account. I tried to use the old UK account but can't sign in properly - I thinks its because they tried to collect payment from a CC which had expired and now the account may be blocked. I may just set up another xboxlive account with a UK location.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

When I select to download the BBC Iplayer it detects a non UK location straight away. I don't know if thats due to the IP address or the location of the Xboxlive account. I tried to use the old UK account but can't sign in properly - I thinks its because they tried to collect payment from a CC which had expired and now the account may be blocked. I may just set up another xboxlive account with a UK location.
OK

I am able to view programmes on all our computers without having to download the App. I just goggle BBC Iplayer, click on the page and off I go. I don't know if I am doing this incorrectly.

However, when I try to do this on the Xbox, it states that I need to download Flash and I hit the problems described above.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

OK

I am able to view programmes on all our computers without having to download the App. I just goggle BBC Iplayer, click on the page and off I go. I don't know if I am doing this incorrectly.

However, when I try to do this on the Xbox, it states that I need to download Flash and I hit the problems described above.
When you say without having to download the app - thats the unlock-us program?

If so, like you, everything is fine with the computers using the settings on the router. (Or rather it was - but yesterday the internet connection generally started becoming rather flakey but I think it's an issue with the Shaw modem/router rather than the DNS settings on the WRT160 as its similar to what happened a while ago when the children tried to use the Shaw router for dealing with hosting a sever for games.)

Is your xboxlive account a UK or Canadian one? Do you use the xbox for Netflix?
Old Mar 18th 2013, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

When you say without having to download the app - thats the unlock-us program?
I didn't download anything for the unlock-us program. I simply changed the DNS settings on the router and off I went.

You posts above made it sound as if one needs to download a BBC Iplayer App. If that is the case, I have no idea how I am able to view programs as, if I try to do here at work, that which I do at home, I get the whole "BBC Iplayer is not available in your location" garb.

If so, like you, everything is fine with the computers using the settings on the router. (Or rather it was - but yesterday the internet connection generally started becoming rather flakey but I think it's an issue with the Shaw modem/router rather than the DNS settings on the WRT160 as its similar to what happened a while ago when the children tried to use the Shaw router for dealing with hosting a sever for games.)

Is your xboxlive account a UK or Canadian one? Do you use the xbox for Netflix?
My Xboxlive account is Canadian. I use the Xbox for Netflix. As soon as I changed the DNS settings and rebooted everything, it allowed me to view US Netflix (could get Blackadder which I couldn't before).

I watched "The Paras" on BBC Iplayer yesterday, but on a computer.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

I didn't download anything for the unlock-us program. I simply changed the DNS settings on the router and off I went.

You posts above made it sound as if one needs to download a BBC Iplayer App. If that is the case, I have no idea how I am able to view programs as, if I try to do here at work, that which I do at home, I get the whole "BBC Iplayer is not available in your location" garb.

My Xboxlive account is Canadian. I use the Xbox for Netflix. As soon as I changed the DNS settings and rebooted everything, it allowed me to view US Netflix (could get Blackadder which I couldn't before).

I watched "The Paras" on BBC Iplayer yesterday, but on a computer.
With the VPN, on the computer its possible to watch live tv on the bbc website without the iplayer. The iplayer allows you to download and watch programmes or for those that can't be downloaded, stream them at a time to suit you.

The router and DNS settings seem to be working ok now so watching bbc on the computer just relying on the router to provide the UK ip address is ok.

Do you get the bbc iplayer offered as an app on the xbox? With a UK xboxlive account the iplayer app is displayed but wont download due to location. When signed in to the Canadian xboxlive account the bbc iplayer isnt shown in the apps section at all. (All the UK apps such as lovefilm, channel 4 etc are shown on the uk xboxlive account but wont work.)

With the UK xboxlive account Netflix shows British content. However, if i log in on the computer without using the VPN it shows Canadian content.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

I've been shown a peak into the dark world of Torrents and was surprised what's available.

Trouble is you have to get a leg amputated and an eye removed.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 2:20 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I only need the app for my Android tablet, not for the laptops.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

With the VPN, on the computer its possible to watch live tv on the bbc website without the iplayer. The iplayer allows you to download and watch programmes or for those that can't be downloaded, stream them at a time to suit you.

The router and DNS settings seem to be working ok now so watching bbc on the computer just relying on the router to provide the UK ip address is ok.

Do you get the bbc iplayer offered as an app on the xbox? With a UK xboxlive account the iplayer app is displayed but wont download due to location. When signed in to the Canadian xboxlive account the bbc iplayer isnt shown in the apps section at all. (All the UK apps such as lovefilm, channel 4 etc are shown on the uk xboxlive account but wont work.)

With the UK xboxlive account Netflix shows British content. However, if i log in on the computer without using the VPN it shows Canadian content.
What did you have to do to set up an account with unblock-us? As I wanted to go down the router route, I didn't actually have to do anything except to change the DNS settings on the router. Is there more I should have done?

I will check the app thingymawotsit next time I am on the Xbox

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.