Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Unromantic Men - Can you Change Them?

Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:24 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unromantic Men - Can you Change Them?

Originally Posted by mc_dub
have you tried highlighting it on the calendar? Or maybe having a sitdown with him and telling him that you want him to buy at least a card on such occasions, especially with you not having the family and friends around to do your own thing with? I know it's not great that he doesn't think to do it on his own but a combination of them both may do the trick
Done the calendar thing, mentioned that it would be nice to get a card but I get the "I work all day and don't have time to get it" which personally I think its a crap excuse. Used to really upset me but now I just don't expect anything and then I am not dissapointed! Odd thing is - if I do the same to him on birthday's etc to teach him a lesson he gets all upset...men hey!!!
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:27 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Done the calendar thing, mentioned that it would be nice to get a card but I get the "I work all day and don't have time to get it" which personally I think its a crap excuse. Used to really upset me but now I just don't expect anything and then I am not dissapointed! Odd thing is - if I do the same to him on birthday's etc to teach him a lesson he gets all upset...men hey!!!
Oh so now we have it. You didn't get him a birthday card. Women hey!!!
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:32 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Oh so now we have it. You didn't get him a birthday card. Women hey!!!
Actually I did - and I managed to do this whilst travelling across Canada and being in the middle of nowhere on his birthday - gold star to me.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

mc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud of

Yes, spontaneity is what every marraige needs.
If we get spontaneous they get suspicious!
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:35 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mc_dub
If we get spontaneous they get suspicious!
Or they get a headache.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

I share your frustration of being married to a man who is not overtly romantic. However, he is totally trustworthy, forgiving of my faults, hardworking and loves me and his children.

Yes, it would be nice to get a huge bunch of flowers on valentines day or come home to champange and strawberries. Would I swap him for a man who regularly does huge romantic gestures but doesn't have the other qualities I value so much.

NOT IN A MILLION YEARS

I knew what he was like long before I married him. If he a once been a romantic and changed dramatically I might have reason to complain, but no.
He is who he is and I love him for it.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

mc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud of

Or they get a headache.
They seem to get them every time they get displeased, it's quite the medical anomaly
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:51 pm
Account Closed

saskia07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, as long as you keep the receipt and return them within 28 days of purchase.

I'm not sure what to suggest....I'm in the middle of an 'amicable' divorce, so I'm the last person to have all the answers, but he does still buy me birthday presents. Go figure?

I always made gift giving simple for my ex, I was clear and straightforward in what I liked, so it was easy for him, bless. So, clear views on flowers, jewellery, fragrance, etc. That way it's minimal effort.

A thought, don't know if it'd work? Get a friend to remind him of the big birthday a couple of weeks before with a list of suggested presents and where he can get them from? Worth a shot.

If not, go fishing with him?

Anyway, happy belated anniversary.

Sas xx
Old Apr 16th 2008, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
I share your frustration of being married to a man who is not overtly romantic. However, he is totally trustworthy, forgiving of my faults, hardworking and loves me and his children.

Yes, it would be nice to get a huge bunch of flowers on valentines day or come home to champange and strawberries. Would I swap him for a man who regularly does huge romantic gestures but doesn't have the other qualities I value so much.

NOT IN A MILLION YEARS

I knew what he was like long before I married him. If he a once been a romantic and changed dramatically I might have reason to complain, but no.
He is who he is and I love him for it.

This is also true for me - would not swap him for anyone else (hmm perhaps Michael Buble? no no no...!) but am allowed to moan about him sometimes - its my job!
Old Apr 16th 2008, 12:28 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

As an obviously wise man, what should I being doing, under the "putting more in" section?
Sorry, my bad.

I meant put out more

Happy anniversary anyway
Old Apr 16th 2008, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by R I C H
Sorry, my bad.

I meant put out more

Happy anniversary anyway
Ha ha that made me laugh! I look after two kids - putting out more than once a year may bring me out in a rash!
Old Apr 16th 2008, 2:36 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay so today is my 7th Anniversary and my OH got me.....NOWT! Apart from hitting him with a big stick, how can I change a man who is not romantic! I am sure he used to be.....!!!

Get a romantic boyfriend.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 2:40 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Get a romantic boyfriend.
Get him a romantic boyfriend.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 2:49 am
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute

Okay so today is my 7th Anniversary and my OH got me.....NOWT! Apart from hitting him with a big stick, how can I change a man who is not romantic! I am sure he used to be.....!!!
Happy Anniversary AmyDavid

I also share the unromantic husband and he used to be more romantic, now he doesn't have to bother I suppose Today is my birthday, first one alone here in Canada and I got up this morning to a scrap of paper with "Happy Birthday dear" scribbled on it...think that was worse than no card! He did bring me a card home from work though but no pressie! To add insult to injury we are going to buy my pressie this Saturday, wait for it - a BBQ something he has been wanting since we arrived in Canada.

OH is good at fixing stuff and wiring up water softeners and insulating his garage etc etc etc and I love him dearly, but I still think they could make a bit of an effort for one day in the year.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 3:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AlvicSK
OH is good at fixing stuff and wiring up water softeners and insulating his garage etc etc etc and I love him dearly, but I still think they could make a bit of an effort for one day in the year.

Then pick between your birthday, valentines day, Christmas and your anniversary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.