Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

UK TV Viewing Question

UK TV Viewing Question

Old Apr 12th 2018, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK TV Viewing Question

Just another question
Now I have ch4 app working on my iPad and can watch view tv shows
What’s the best way to mirror the iPad to my Samsung tv
Taking into consideration I am using a VPN on the iPad to enable me to use the Ch4 app and my home wifi router will of course have a Canadian IP address which I didn’t want to change if I can avoid it.
Old Apr 12th 2018, 5:41 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

The itv player isnt very clever compared with the others - it doesnt appear to allow/support casting to a remote tv. I can do it easily with a mac, by screen mirroring to an apple tv attached to my samsung tv but not an ipad.

The ipad uses a vpn easily, and of course its easy to watch itv player on it itself.
Old Apr 12th 2018, 5:44 pm

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Running a vpn on a router is easy normally but not clever as the bandwidth in the tunnel will be limited by your isp’s traffic policies [it cant know its streamed video]. Better multiple vpns per endpoint.
Old Apr 12th 2018, 5:46 pm

While there are other possible ways with some hardwaere, the apple centric apple tv is pretty much always best for this, esp when viewing 4k or even 1k video.
Old Apr 12th 2018, 5:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joinerboy
Just another question
Now I have ch4 app working on my iPad and can watch view tv shows
What’s the best way to mirror the iPad to my Samsung tv
Taking into consideration I am using a VPN on the iPad to enable me to use the Ch4 app and my home wifi router will of course have a Canadian IP address which I didn’t want to change if I can avoid it.
I know next to nothing about iPads but is there no equivalent to an HDMI cable from it to the TV?

Or played through a DVD player or PS and onto the TV that way?
Old Apr 12th 2018, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I know next to nothing about iPads but is there no equivalent to an HDMI cable from it to the TV?

Or played through a DVD player or PS and onto the TV that way?
- Digital Av cable could be an option I think
- but it Apple TV accepts mirrioring whilst using a VPN on my iPad that may work too
Old Apr 12th 2018, 6:33 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried casting?
Old Apr 12th 2018, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bats
Have you tried casting?
Casting to chromecast would not work
Before I and using iPad app with a VPN and it will not direct cast
Old Apr 12th 2018, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

We have just bought AirServer after a month free trial. It works for mirroring from iphone8 but haven’t tried with iPad.
Old Apr 12th 2018, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
We have just bought AirServer after a month free trial. It works for mirroring from iphone8 but haven’t tried with iPad.
Is airserver an IOS app ?
What are are using with your iPhone 8
Chromecast ? Or smart tv
Old Apr 13th 2018, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tried yesterday several options but only managed to cast the sound to my fire tv box was not able to get picture on the tv as well. 😢😢
Old Apr 21st 2018, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

I purchased an Apple TV box and now I can watch ch4 on demand by aiplaying from my iPad ( I use a VPN app on my iPad ) to the tv.
Only issue is I can’t do the same with MY5 channel 5 on demand service no matter how I try it will not work.
If anyone else has a info on a possible work around for MY5 to be airplayed I would be interested to hear.
Thanks

Last edited by joinerboy; Apr 21st 2018 at 3:27 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2018, 3:15 pm

I purchased an Apple TV box and now I can watch ch4 on demand by aiplaying from my iPad ( I use a VPN app on my iPad ) to the tv.
Only issue is I can’t do the same with MY5 channel 5 on demand service no matter how I try it will not work.
If anyone else has a info on work around for MY5 to be airplayed I would be interested to hear.
Thanks
1 of 2 things:

I think it’s a common limitation of some of the apps on iOS and Android

Or you haven’t got enough wireless bandwidth/the iPads not streaming it all twice real-time happily. Think about it, if it’s all wireless you are streaming in a limited Von tunnel to the iPad which reformists and streams to the Apple TV which streams to the tv. That’s 2 or 3 wireless streams, at 1080 or even 4K if it’s a recent Apple TV and tv.

I found it thus even with an iPad Pro, but screen mirroring on a MacBook with anything runnings easy, never fails, but the websites aren’t as nice as the apps.
Old Apr 21st 2018, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
1 of 2 things:

I think it’s a common limitation of some of the apps on iOS and Android

Or you haven’t got enough wireless bandwidth/the iPads not streaming it all twice real-time happily. Think about it, if it’s all wireless you are streaming in a limited Von tunnel to the iPad which reformists and streams to the Apple TV which streams to the tv. That’s 2 or 3 wireless streams, at 1080 or even 4K if it’s a recent Apple TV and tv.

I found it thus even with an iPad Pro, but screen mirroring on a MacBook with anything runnings easy, never fails, but the websites aren’t as nice as the apps.
Thanks for your reply
I don’t have my MacBook Pro any more
Just have the iPad Pro and Apple TV box
I find the iPad Pro does 99% of what I need these days
Just wish I could airplay My5 😩
I was kind of hoping it would work as well as the Ch4 app works when airplayed

Last edited by joinerboy; Apr 21st 2018 at 3:32 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2018, 6:44 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Only issue is I can’t do the same with MY5 channel 5...
There's something there to watch?

I thought the only reason for Channel five was for football fans to taunt their rivals with comments about Thursday on Channel 5.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.