Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Itchy! Arrrrrrgggghhhhhhh!

Itchy! Arrrrrrgggghhhhhhh!

Old Jan 4th 2013, 2:45 pm
Cheesy Grin :-)

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light
Default Itchy! Arrrrrrgggghhhhhhh!

Hello BE peops!

Since winter started I'm so flipping itchy, it's driving me insane! My scalp is on fire too! I've tried all the creams/shampoos/conditioners for dry/extra dry skin but still....I ITCH! Does anybody else suffer from this since they arrived here? I feel like Nitty flippin' Nora! I definitely don't have nits or fleas but wondered if a kindly soul might be able to advise whether this is (a) normal (or should I see a doc), or (b) if it is, give me some tips to alleviate this wretched itching.

Thanks!
Old Jan 4th 2013, 2:49 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Itchy! Arrrrrrgggghhhhhhh!

A good moisturiser for your skin is necessary, I definitely have to moisturise in the winter otherwise I'm like Baloo up against the walls and maybe using less or a different brand of washing powder/liquid or a second rinse in your washing machine.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Reidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dotty P
Hello BE peops!

Since winter started I'm so flipping itchy, it's driving me insane! My scalp is on fire too! I've tried all the creams/shampoos/conditioners for dry/extra dry skin but still....I ITCH! Does anybody else suffer from this since they arrived here? I feel like Nitty flippin' Nora! I definitely don't have nits or fleas but wondered if a kindly soul might be able to advise whether this is (a) normal (or should I see a doc), or (b) if it is, give me some tips to alleviate this wretched itching.

Thanks!
Do you have forced air heating? If so, you may need a humidifier. The first winter I was here both my husband and I had really dry skin. As we were renting we bought a small humidifier and that helped a lot.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 2:55 pm

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
A good moisturiser for your skin is necessary, I definitely have to moisturise in the winter otherwise I'm like Baloo up against the walls and maybe using less or a different brand of washing powder/liquid or a second rinse in your washing machine.
I moisturise so much......I've even resorted to extra virgin olive oil on my face (it ain't attractive, I smell like a salad dressing )) but to no avail. At least I'm not alone with is problem; I half feared I have some weird disease!
Old Jan 4th 2013, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Reidies
Do you have forced air heating? If so, you may need a humidifier. The first winter I was here both my husband and I had really dry skin. As we were renting we bought a small humidifier and that helped a lot.
Here's the thing (and this will make many of you out there VERY envious) but we have not had the heating on once since the winter started! Truth! We live in a condo building and it seems everybody else keeps us warm (yippee!). Mind you, I suppose we go from apartment to car, car to shops (or wherever else) and everywhere is super heated. I suppose also that the air is drier here (?) (Ontario).

Roll on Spring......

Last edited by Dotty P; Jan 4th 2013 at 3:02 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 3:09 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the thing (and this will make many of you out there VERY envious) but we have not had the heating on once since the winter started! Truth! We live in a condo building and it seems everybody else keeps us warm (yippee!). Mind you, I suppose we go from apartment to car, car to shops (or wherever else) and everywhere is super heated. I suppose also that the air is drier here (?) (Ontario).

Roll on Spring......
Get a room humidifier and see if it helps... The air can get very dry in the winter.

Something like this...
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
Old Jan 4th 2013, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
Get a room humidifier and see if it helps... The air can get very dry in the winter.

Something like this...
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
Thanks for the link Iaink! So even when not using the heating, you still recommend to get one, simply because the air is much drier?
Old Jan 4th 2013, 3:21 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

You definitely need a humidifier, better still boil pans of water and get some steam into the air, keep boiling until you see steam on the windows. Bathe less too!
Old Jan 4th 2013, 3:22 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the link Iaink! So even when not using the heating, you still recommend to get one, simply because the air is much drier?
Yes and don't go out without moisturiser on your face otherwise you will end up with red veins on your face
Old Jan 4th 2013, 3:25 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Bingo, that's it in a nutshell. Is there a lot of condensation on your windows already? If not then a humidifier is probably your best bet.

You dont want too much though, there is a happy balance between itchyness and mould!

Might be worth getting a digital thermometer with the relative humidity reading, and try and keep it between 50 and 60% if you can. My house air has been as low as 35% RH

Last edited by iaink; Jan 4th 2013 at 3:28 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

shunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iaink
Bingo, that's it in a nutshell. Is there a lot of condensation on your windows already? If not then a humidifier is probably your best bet.

You dont want too much though, there is a happy balance between itchyness and mould!

Might be worth getting a digital thermometer with the relative humidity reading, and try and keep it between 50 and 60% if you can. My house air has been as low as 35% RH
I've been told the static is due to the dryness in the air, if so will a humidifier help with this too?
Old Jan 4th 2013, 3:43 pm
Pretty Fly For A Whiteguy

Mr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it will
Old Jan 4th 2013, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

shunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud of

My daughter will be so pleased to see an end to the bad hair days
Old Jan 4th 2013, 3:55 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by shunter1977
My daughter will be so pleased to see an end to the bad hair days
Cant guarantee that, it is still winter after all. The Touque is not kind to hair...
Old Jan 4th 2013, 4:09 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

It took me years to realise that I didn't have Scabies or some nasty skin condition causing the itching but it was in fact the dry air.

We don't run our heating either but still need a humidifier in the winter or our floor boards shrink and crack.

I think the humidity was down to about 20% at one point.

You need shed loads of moisturiser and lip balm. The humidifier will also stop you giving each other random electric shocks from the static as well ( unless you're into that kind of thing!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.