UK election June 8

Old Apr 19th 2017, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK election June 8

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Just as he left knowing the result. She took on the role having said she was against it but didn't have to. Perhaps that means she took it on for personal ambition rather than to lead (from behind).
Maybe; maybe not. I don't actually know; nor do you.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Some might say that's not leading though.
All are entitled to their opinion.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 4:36 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Maybe; maybe not. I don't actually know; nor do you...
Granted. But when someone states they are against something and then they are asked if they'd like to implement the something that they are against, it might be reasonable to assume they will do something that they are against because there is some potential advancement in it for them that makes up for doing something that they are against.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 6:17 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that she has stated that, in light of the fact that there is lots of argument over what brexit means, and as lots have threatened to fight her all of the way, she wants all parties to set out their stalls so that the electorate can decide upon which vision they prefer.
It's all kind of a waste of time though isn't it?

No battle plan survives contact with the enemy or frenemy- depending on how one views the EU.

Ultimately all parties can outlay a vision but with out buy in from the other 20+ member states the vision is a pipe dream. Although it does seem that that is what people vote for these days with out credible news sources/ fact checking or dosage of reality.

May called the election because it is her best chance at retaining power for longer and ultimately that is the prime objective of politics in much the same way short term economic growth is the goal of economics.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 6:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
It's all kind of a waste of time though isn't it?

No battle plan survives contact with the enemy or frenemy- depending on how one views the EU.

Ultimately all parties can outlay a vision but with out buy in from the other 20+ member states the vision is a pipe dream. Although it does seem that that is what people vote for these days with out credible news sources/ fact checking or dosage of reality.

May called the election because it is her best chance at retaining power for longer and ultimately that is the prime objective of politics in much the same way short term economic growth is the goal of economics.
I don't disagree with anything you have said.

Although, with all the comments as to whether the voters wanted a "hard" or "soft" brexit and whether they were misled, one assumes that each party can set out their position, and the voters can make their decision and the one with the most seats can argue that they have a mandate.

I do, of course, realise that the election will not just focus on brexit and that the "winner" will likely have less than 50% of the votes cast.

I also agree with you regarding first contact with the enemy.

While I accept that I am in the minority on this board, I believe that brexit offers far more opportunity for the UK than it does for the rest of the EU, now that it has been triggered.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Exactly. She seems hell bent on out-Brexiting even those Eurosceptics in her party. I don't think it's ambition. I think it probably has something to do with her religious upbringing. It obviously plays havoc with the critical thinking capacities​ of politicians, and they become locked into their ideological whims.
There is one reason to want to out brexit even the hardest of brexidiots...

Ever done such a bad job so you either don't have to finish it or do it again.... in brexit case, a botch brexit might be a stealth way to bin it 😉 Although conversely you might need to literally be a miracle worker to deliver brexit according to some people's belief of what it will be 😂🤦‍♂️
Old Apr 19th 2017, 6:55 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Whether Brexit is good or bad for the economy or whether we should or should not have an election, I just enjoy watching the hysterical indignation of the privileged middle classes. Apart from the ERM debacle in the early 90s and the Iran-Contra affair, this is probably the most entertaining period in my lifetime. While I love football, Brexit is way better than the World Cup.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 7:06 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Whether Brexit is good or bad for the economy or whether we should or should not have an election, I just enjoy watching the hysterical indignation of the privileged middle classes. Apart from the ERM debacle in the early 90s and the Iran-Contra affair, this is probably the most entertaining period in my lifetime. While I love football, Brexit is way better than the World Cup.
It's entertaining because you know the mighty Spurs are chasing a double!

World Cup's haven't been any good since the real Ronaldo was top scorer in Korea/Japan.

The Brexit thing is odd. Basically before you hold such an important referendum you need a clear plan for both outcomes is the only lesson learned. I just think it's all a waste of time and a welcome distraction from the real drivers of inequality and declining living standards.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

The Brexit thing is odd. Basically before you hold such an important referendum you need a clear plan for both outcomes is the only lesson learned. I just think it's all a waste of time and a welcome distraction from the real drivers of inequality and declining living standards.
A risky waste of time with a potentially long-term harmful outcome.

It'll solve nothing, as is always the case when you address the wrong causes as attributed by blaming anything and anyone but the real root causes.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 7:18 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouisB
A risky waste of time with a potentially long-term harmful outcome.

It'll solve nothing, as is always the case when you address the wrong causes as attributed by blaming anything and anyone but the real root causes.
The middle classes are just upset that they'll have to do a bit more paperwork before they can exploit European teenagers.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

The middle classes are just upset that they'll have to do a bit more paperwork before they can exploit European teenagers.
Haha well on that specific topic, maybe 🤦‍♂️

But don't forget the genius that will be barista visas 😂
Old Apr 19th 2017, 7:56 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

It's entertaining because you know the mighty Spurs are chasing a double!

World Cup's haven't been any good since the real Ronaldo was top scorer in Korea/Japan.

You're a driver of inequality and declining living standards. Ner.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 11:25 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean exploiting them with work they were unable to find in their own countries? Forcing them to gain English language skills, that kind of thing?

Certainly there is an argument that some sections of British youth were disadvantaged by the influx of Europeans, but leaving the EU is not the only solution to that problem.

As an indication of how inept the political class can be, it's being proposed that a "barista visa" be introduced to protect the supply of highly trained coffee workers.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 11:33 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

While I accept that I am in the minority on this board, I believe that brexit offers far more opportunity for the UK than it does for the rest of the EU, now that it has been triggered.
As one Labour MP put it, the UK may well become some 'super Cayman Islands' nation off the European coast.

International opportunity always exists. Whether it is sufficient to make up for reduced trade with Europe is what remains to be seen.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Furious that they've had their and their childrens' and their parents' rights to live, work, study and retire across a continent ripped away for no gain or reason, would be closer.

The irritation from things like rising food prices when we discover we don't have a farm labour force anymore hasn't even started yet (although considering that the age group biggest on ripping us away from our rights was the elderly, I do hope they enjoy the Tories' suggestion that retirees can pick asparagus and strawberries in the fields for agricultural minimum wage as a replacement. The quitlings deserve it).
Old Apr 20th 2017, 12:03 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
Furious that they've had their and their childrens' and their parents' rights to live, work, study and retire across a continent ripped away for no gain or reason, would be closer.
Absolutely. Those without opportunity felt no compunction to pull the rug out from under those with opportunity. Let's just call it the British disease.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.