UK election June 8

Old Apr 19th 2017, 12:43 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK election June 8

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
You do realise that, once the electorate had voted, her personal views were irrelevant, don't you?
How so? Do you mean that even though she's against what was voted she should stay and carry it out? I didn't see Cameron doing that.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 12:46 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

It appears to me that no-one knows what the government's negotiating position will be. If you do, please enlighten us.
It may well be home turf bluster to spook the Europeans into a preferential deal. Time will tell. But given her actions so far, appointing the three clowns, fighting A50, alienating Scotland, my faith in her is low.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 12:52 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Maybe she's just passionate about democracy.
Or robotic about it.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 1:11 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought she already had that, both from the electorate, and from both houses of Parliament.

I stepped away and this may already have been covered but, if May thinks she has a mandate, why does she need an election?
Old Apr 19th 2017, 1:22 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I stepped away and this may already have been covered but, if May thinks she has a mandate, why does she need an election?
She has a wafer thin majority so my guess is she wants to bolster that a bit so the opposition don't cause too many issues. It could all backfire on her. Still, it'll be interesting to watch.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 1:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Because she knows full well she'll win it, and give herself 2 years in power once the UK is out of the EU. If there is an election the same year as Britain comes out of the EU there will still be an element of voting for the unknown I suppose? Dunno, maybe. In any case she's playing a game at a point where she knows she'll win, so can't blame her really.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 1:29 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
It may well be home turf bluster to spook the Europeans into a preferential deal. Time will tell. But given her actions so far, appointing the three clowns, fighting A50, alienating Scotland, my faith in her is low.
That's the belief in a couple of articles I've read.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 1:35 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
The elections here are boring. Any political gaffes largely go unnoticed, presumedly because everybody is so stoned.
In Canada you vote for puppets who get nothing done.

The US election vastly more interesting. Look at Trumps first 100 days vs what Trudeau is supposed to have achieved.

Even at a City level it's a nightmare. John Tory comes up with populist ideas that will never be funded but provide good photo opportunities.

I miss the late Rob Ford- put the place on the map and it didn't cost me anything.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 6:01 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
Because she knows full well she'll win it, and give herself 2 years in power once the UK is out of the EU. If there is an election the same year as Britain comes out of the EU there will still be an element of voting for the unknown I suppose? Dunno, maybe. In any case she's playing a game at a point where she knows she'll win, so can't blame her really.
The woman's a politician. If they know little else and they don't know much else, they do know which side of the toast has been buttered.

Like you, I think that she now feels that the state of the Labour opposition and the jingoistic eurofeelings that will evolve before the election will inevitably return an increased majority.

There must be a few sphincters clenching as I press these keys. Bojo for one will be wondering whether his civil servants will henceforth treat him with the same reverence as they might do now.

We can only hope that the euro bureaucrats will do what they always do and that's play loudly the remaining 27 in the vain hope that this will stop the writing of the EU epitaph on the Berlaymont wall whose inscription will read 'We brought it on ourselves.'.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 1:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
How so? Do you mean that even though she's against what was voted she should stay and carry it out? I didn't see Cameron doing that.
Cameron was PM at the time. He reasons for leaving are his own. She took on the PM mantle knowing what the result was.

I would expect a good leader to ditch their personal belief once it had been determined that they were not the same as the electorate's, and then to do all that she could to deliver what the electorate had mandated her to do. Isn't that what is supposed to happen in a democracy?
Old Apr 19th 2017, 1:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

So, as I thought, you have no idea.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 1:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I believe that she has stated that, in light of the fact that there is lots of argument over what brexit means, and as lots have threatened to fight her all of the way, she wants all parties to set out their stalls so that the electorate can decide upon which vision they prefer.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 2:04 pm
Yo

So, as I thought, you have no idea.
Gosh, you're so clever AC. I am starting to understand why Novo gives you short shrift.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 2:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gosh, you're so clever AC. I am starting to understand why Novo gives you short shrift.
The ignore button works very well, so I am led to believe.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 3:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Cameron was PM at the time. He reasons for leaving are his own. She took on the PM mantle knowing what the result was.
Just as he left knowing the result. She took on the role having said she was against it but didn't have to. Perhaps that means she took it on for personal ambition rather than to lead (from behind).

I would expect a good leader to ditch their personal belief once it had been determined that they were not the same as the electorate's,
Some might say that's not leading though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.