UK election June 8

Old Apr 18th 2017, 10:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK election June 8

Originally Posted by Shard
That Corbyn seems to be intending to fight this election on the basis of austerity, and not Brexit, shows just how out of touch he is.

I don't understand Theresa May. Considering she was near neutral on Brexit, she has suddenly become an extreme Brexiteer, despite the narrowly decided referendum, and subsequent doubts on pre-referendum promises.
She's implementing what the people voted for, her feelings on the matter are irrelevant, it was either Brexit and stay in power, or remain against the vote and count her remaining days in office on one hand.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

It will be the end of Corbyn. Which is a good thing for the Labour Party and democracy.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 10:28 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...Theresa May. Considering she was near neutral on Brexit, she has suddenly become an extreme Brexiteer,....
I vaguely recall her being reported as saying it wasn't a good idea to leave the EU.

In fact, here's what I think I recall:

Exclusive: what Theresa May really thinks about Brexit shown in leaked recording
Theresa May privately warned that companies would leave the UK if the country voted for Brexit during a secret audience with investment bankers a month before the EU referendum.

A recording of her remarks to Goldman Sachs, leaked to the Guardian, reveals she had numerous concerns about Britain leaving the EU....
“I think the economic arguments are clear,” she said. “I think being part of a 500-million trading bloc is significant for us. I think, as I was saying to you a little earlier, that one of the issues is that a lot of people will invest here in the UK because it is the UK in Europe.
“If we were not in Europe, I think there would be firms and companies who would be looking to say, do they need to develop a mainland Europe presence rather than a UK presence? So I think there are definite benefits for us in economic terms.”
At Goldman Sachs, May also said she was convinced Britain’s security was best served by remaining in Europe because of tools such as the European arrest warrant and the information-sharing between the police and intelligence agencies.

“There are definitely things we can do as members of the European Union that I think keep us more safe,” she said.
She sidestepped a question about whether she wanted to be prime minister and focused on explaining why Britain should stay in the EU.
So it would appear she's an opportunist and is putting her own ambitions above the UK's economy and security.

Or she changed her mind a few weeks later.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 10:36 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I vaguely recall her being reported as saying it wasn't a good idea to leave the EU.

Exclusive: what Theresa May really thinks about Brexit shown in leaked recording

So it would appear she's an opportunist and is putting her own ambitions above the UK's economy and security.

Exactly. She seems hell bent on out-Brexiting even those Eurosceptics in her party. I don't think it's ambition. I think it probably has something to do with her religious upbringing. It obviously plays havoc with the critical thinking capacities​ of politicians, and they become locked into their ideological whims.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 10:58 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly. She seems hell bent on out-Brexiting even those Eurosceptics in her party. I don't think it's ambition. I think it probably has something to do with her religious upbringing. It obviously plays havoc with the critical thinking capacities​ of politicians, and they become locked into their ideological whims.
Maybe she's just passionate about democracy.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 11:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

It appears to me that no-one knows what the government's negotiating position will be. If you do, please enlighten us.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 11:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

You do realise that, once the electorate had voted, her personal views were irrelevant, don't you?
Old Apr 18th 2017, 11:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oink
Maybe she's just passionate about democracy.
What you mean that process by which our elected representatives implement the will of the people rather than their own beliefs? Ludicrous .

With Sturgeon warning that it's a massive miscalculation I'd be completely unsurprised to see the one policy SNP put firmly back in their box.

I'd say this is perfect timing, and she'll use the ensuing victory as a mandate to austere the living shit out of the UK.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 11:32 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Can't wait for Tony to open his big gob about this. That should turn a couple hundred thousand to the Tories.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 11:41 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

That Corbyn seems to be intending to fight this election on the basis of austerity, and not Brexit, shows just how out of touch he is.

I don't understand Theresa May. Considering she was near neutral on Brexit, she has suddenly become an extreme Brexiteer, despite the narrowly decided referendum, and subsequent doubts on pre-referendum promises.
Originally Posted by LouisB
� ���� And he'd jump in to help you drown.
Originally Posted by macadian
That's a bit like asking someone to save you from drowning in the middle of a deep lake who can't swim....
Originally Posted by withabix
It will be the end of Corbyn. Which is a good thing for the Labour Party and democracy.
Can't wait for Tony to open his big gob about this. That should turn a couple hundred thousand to the Tories.
I think this general election will see the Liberal Democrats finally take back the mantle they lost to Labour nearly a century ago.

Whether with Labour, the SNP and other parties they can win a coalition remains to be seen.

I'd be surprised though if May and the Tories get an easy ride between now and then and I wouldn't put any reliability on "opinion" polls.

The polls are a dated and unreliable model of sampling.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM
I think this general election will see the Liberal Democrats finally take back the mantle they lost to Labour nearly a century ago.

Whether with Labour, the SNP and other parties they can win a coalition remains to be seen.

I'd be surprised though if May and the Tories get an easy ride between now and then and I wouldn't put any reliability on "opinion" polls.

British elections ware usually very funny affairs. Remember Gordon Brown's bigoted woman gaffe. Then we had the Ed stone. Priceless.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 12:01 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

British elections ware usually very funny affairs. Remember Gordon Brown's bigoted woman gaffe. Then we had the Ed stone. Priceless.
I think May and Corbyn will both get absolute drubbings from all sides.

No one likes anyone anymore and both the Conservatives and Labour are so divided.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 12:05 am

I think May and Corbyn will both get absolute drubbings from all sides.

No one likes anyone anymore and both the Conservatives and Labour are so divided.
The elections here are boring. Any political gaffes largely go unnoticed, presumedly because everybody is so stoned.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 12:08 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Supposing, but unlikely, that Labour says no thanks we don't want an election right now. Then rushes off and sorts itself out, also unlikely, so that when there is an election they're ready to take over as an effective government,.

Supposing
Old Apr 19th 2017, 12:41 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I think May will get an easy ride. Plenty of people in the 'just get on with Brexit already' camp, and she appeals to them.

Lib Dems can only go up, but Tim is too weak and annoying leader to make great gains.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.