UK election June 8

Old Apr 26th 2017, 10:46 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK election June 8

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
Anyhow, she's never fully trusted me, didn't even want a joint back account in 92
Old May 2nd 2017, 5:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Re registered this morning as I got my reminder through, I get a feeling it's going to be a massive turnout.
Old May 2nd 2017, 6:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

What percentage of the electorate understand the issues ?
Old May 2nd 2017, 7:02 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by scot47
hopefully a higher percentage than that of the politicians that do.
Old May 2nd 2017, 10:54 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Approximately 48.1%.
Old May 2nd 2017, 2:55 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Approximately 48.1%.
Old May 2nd 2017, 3:50 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

What percentage of politicians understand maths?

Diane Abbott says she 'misspoke' on Labour's police policy - BBC News
Old May 2nd 2017, 5:08 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Brexit: Theresa May says she'll be 'bloody difficult' to Juncker - BBC News

What a joke of a leader.
Old May 2nd 2017, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

But, to be fair, most of the choices for Commission President were

Watching from afar, it does appear to be that the EU is being deliberately obtuse and are attempting to use their "dominant" position to ensure that the deal reached with the UK discourages any other EU states from leaving too.

I have to admit that I haven't looked into this in any great detail at all but why will the EU insist that the UK pays 65 billion to it after it leaves? How has such a sum been calculated?
Old May 2nd 2017, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Watching from afar, it does appear to be that the EU is being deliberately obtuse and are attempting to use their "dominant" position to ensure that the deal reached with the UK discourages any other EU states from leaving too.

I have to admit that I haven't looked into this in any great detail at all but why will the EU insist that the UK pays 65 billion to it after it leaves? How has such a sum been calculated?
Watching from close, there's one party that's being deliberately obtuse, and it's the one on the island, which still seems to think everyone else is chomping at the bit to agree "So we get all the unmitigated good bits, some of the other good bits, cut out the good bits we don't really want, and none of the bad bits".

Any divorce settlement will include the UK's bill for already agreed upon liabilities. These have been agreed up to 2025 (the c. 65bn). It's in no way unreasonable to ask people who agreed to fund various projects and programmes to then actually do so. Take a look at some of the options at https://www.cchdaily.co.uk/uks-bill-...uld-top-eu65bn
Old May 2nd 2017, 5:52 pm
me/moi

But, to be fair, most of the choices for Commission President were

The 65B is clearly subject to negotiation, but the principle makes reasonable sense; as the larger entity they are playing hardball. England would do the same thing with Scotland in such a situation. I don't think the EU are being deliberately obtuse, though there is an element of setting an example. It's a protectionist trade block, just as the US, Japan and China are, that's why it's foolish for Britain to leave. You can't choose your neighbours.
Old May 2nd 2017, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
Watching from close, there's one party that's being deliberately obtuse, and it's the one on the island, which still seems to think everyone else is chomping at the bit to agree "So we get all the unmitigated good bits, some of the other good bits, cut out the good bits we don't really want, and none of the bad bits".
That sounds like "soft brexit" to me. I don't believe the UK government is suggesting that at all.

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
Any divorce settlement will include the UK's bill for already agreed upon liabilities. These have been agreed up to 2025 (the c. 65bn). It's in no way unreasonable to ask people who agreed to fund various projects and programmes to then actually do so. Take a look at some of the options at https://www.cchdaily.co.uk/uks-bill-...uld-top-eu65bn
That article doesn't appear to support what you have stated above. I believe it would be somewhat silly for the EU to ask the UK to contribute to a budget post brexit when that particular budget was set on the basis that the EU would fund things in the UK, just as it would be ridiculous for the UK to insist that, post brexit, the EU funds anything in the UK

Last edited by Almost Canadian; May 2nd 2017 at 6:33 pm.
Old May 2nd 2017, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The 65B is clearly subject to negotiation, but the principle makes reasonable sense; as the larger entity they are playing hardball. England would do the same thing with Scotland in such a situation. I don't think the EU are being deliberately obtuse, though there is an element of setting an example. It's a protectionist trade block, just as the US, Japan and China are, that's why it's foolish for Britain to leave. You can't choose your neighbours.
Other than them throwing their dolly out of their pram, is there any real reason why the divorce and the post brexit trade deal cannot be worked out contemporaneously?

I agree with you that the EU is playing hardball.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; May 2nd 2017 at 6:34 pm.
Old May 2nd 2017, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

That article doesn't appear to support what you have stated above. I believe it would be somewhat silly for the EU to ask the UK to contribute to a budget post brexit when that particular budget was set on the basis that the EU would fund things in the UK, just as it would be ridiculous for the UK to insist that, post brexit, the EU funds anything in the UK
It's literally the source of it.

I don't see how it's 'silly' to ask someone to pay a bill they've already agreed to. Reneging on a already-made commitments might be possible, but will in no way endear little england to its largest trading partners.

The furthest out commitments appear to be 2025; past that point, any further contributions would have to be negotiated. Before that, withdrawing is likely to involve consequences, or at the very least, bad blood.
Old May 3rd 2017, 1:18 am
Account Closed

The EU is shaping up to look like a bullying husband to a wife who wants out. 'I'll bankrupt you, ya slag'

The way I see it if we're going say that Brexit voters didn't understand what they were voting for but thought 'sod it' and went for it, then I think it's fair to say that remain voters only understood enough to realise they weren't up to the task, and voted for no change. Much as I think Brexit is a bad idea, I actually admire the mindset of a Brexiteer more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.