Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Typical Canadian behaviour that blows your mind

Typical Canadian behaviour that blows your mind

Old Sep 3rd 2017, 2:41 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Typical Canadian behaviour that blows your mind

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I'm glad that employment and I never met in NB.
I'm led to believe that the Maritimes are particularly prone to this defect, but believe me it happens elsewhere in Canada too.

I even heard the Vice President for Research and Innovation at the Uni in ON I used to work for say something very similar. He was from Alberta but I don't think that matters.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Sep 3rd 2017 at 2:44 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 2:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Not showing up for work seems to be more common in Canada. At least compared to the US jobs I have had.

Not sure if it's a Canadian thing though. But it's very common where I have worked.
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 5:28 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Is it possible that people have overly fond memories of driving standards in the UK?

I'm not a driver but I have been driven and maybe I get to experience more drivers in their cars than drivers do, mostly only experiencing their own driving.

I also experience drivers as a cyclist and pedestrian and I'd far rather do that here than back in Bristol.

Someone back a bit (Millie?) commented about politeness or friendliness or whatever it was. Maybe it's just NB?
I commuted by motorbike in rush hour traffic via M3>M25>M4 & into West London 5 days per week, 52 weeks per year for 5 years rain or shine.

Most of the journey was spent riding the white line between the centre and fast lane and drivers would actually use their mirrors and move over for me.

I actually had a guy fold his wing mirror in so I could squeeze through in stationary traffic.

I can't speak for the entire UK, but I do think drivers in the London area are probably some of the most bike aware drivers I have ever encountered.
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 5:33 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Driving in the UK is a highly collaborative activity. I think when you're constantly trying to squeeze past each other in ancient city streets, overparked roads or narrow country lanes, it changes the attitude. Roundabouts help too.
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
I can't speak for the entire UK, but I do think drivers in the London area are probably some of the most bike aware drivers I have ever encountered.
Don't know about motorbikes, but drivers around Bristol would move for cyclists alright - they're queuing, you ride up the inside, even in an official cycle lane, they pull towards the curb just to block you!
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 7:21 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
...but drivers around Bristol would move for cyclists alright...even in an official cycle lane, they pull towards the curb just to block you!

Many times.

I'm also convinced that (in Bristol) when there was a break in traffic giving you the chance to cross and you're waiting for the same break in cars travelling the other direction, that the car you're waiting on passing is deliberately slowed by its driver who has seen you, so that you wait and by the time that car has passed there's no longer a break to cross.

Here, they often stop for you even when there's an official crossing just along a bit
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 10:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Is it possible that people have overly fond memories of driving standards in the UK?
I drive there, well London and the southeast, reasonably frequently and love it. People seem aware of the size of their vehicle, know how to work the lights, they probably even know what brand of vehicle they own. It's another world.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 1:15 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I do think drivers are probably more polite in the Maritimes....we have more time, I have recently been 'commuting' to an office 7 Kms away and it takes me 15mins when the traffic is at its worst! It's sleepy and slow, but we're all frightfully nice

I don't think I'd feel sunny after two hours behind the wheel in the GTA.

I too Jsmth have noticed that people just don't show up for work without any buy or leave, they aren't sick, but they just don't come. Nothing is said or seems to be said, but turning up daily, on time, doesn't seem to be at all de rigueur.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 1:29 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
I too Jsmth have noticed that people just don't show up for work without any buy or leave, they aren't sick, but they just don't come. Nothing is said or seems to be said, but turning up daily, on time, doesn't seem to be at all de rigueur.
How does the employer treat these people generally?

My experience of working in NB is only through my stepdaughter. Her managers were good and understanding when her mum died but as an employer they deliberately keep everyone's hours down so they don't get medical benefits. I see other similarities with my old employer.

I have the impression Jsmth's employers don't treat their employees well.

Perhaps it's the only 'weapon' some have to use.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 2:05 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

How does the employer treat these people generally?

I have the impression Jsmth's employers don't treat their employees well.

Perhaps it's the only 'weapon' some have to use.
'Generally' I think people are treated appallingly in this bit of Canada, which is the only bit I've worked in. There is little demand and an excess of supply, people are fearful to keep the most tedious of jobs and employers use this. There is a plethora of over qualified people doing the most mind numbing of tasks here and being grateful for doing it.

Until the entire economic climate of Eastern Canada changes and solid workforce opportunities other than Call Centres or On Line Gaming Companies (very big employers in Moncton, I believe) are found, this is not going to change, and I'm not holding my breath for this happening any time soon.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 3:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

It's currently an employee market in Vancouver for lower skilled jobs.

Employers paying min wage are finding it difficult to get people to work.

Lots of now hiring signs and more places with signs saying they have reduced hours as they can't find staff.

Those not willing to raise wages are not finding staff.

My company is being patient at the moment as we are losing people quicker then we can find applicants and hire and train.

Some days we have as many as 50% of the shift lines vacant.

Takes about 3 weeks to train before a new hire can work on the ramp.

The company had also raised the pay overall in an effort to retain folks.

Benefit wise they only require 32 hours a week and vast majority of us work 32 and above.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 5:43 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
It's currently an employee market in Vancouver for lower skilled jobs.

Employers paying min wage are finding it difficult to get people to work.

Lots of now hiring signs and more places with signs saying they have reduced hours as they can't find staff.

Those not willing to raise wages are not finding staff.

My company is being patient at the moment as we are losing people quicker then we can find applicants and hire and train.

Some days we have as many as 50% of the shift lines vacant.

Takes about 3 weeks to train before a new hire can work on the ramp.

The company had also raised the pay overall in an effort to retain folks.

Benefit wise they only require 32 hours a week and vast majority of us work 32 and above.
Sounds like Vancouver's high cost of living is starting to impact the labour market?
Old Sep 4th 2017, 6:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Shard
Sounds like Vancouver's high cost of living is starting to impact the labour market?
Seems to be, at least with the lower skilled and lower paying jobs, but those workers will be the hardest hit by housing costs so likely first to leave.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
You ask someone for a favour, "please pass the salt". The person says "oh alright then" and shoves it across the table. The person doesn't speak to you for the rest of the evening.
And this happens to you every time you dine? What absolute rubbish.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'm led to believe that the Maritimes are particularly prone to this defect, but believe me it happens elsewhere in Canada too.

I even heard the Vice President for Research and Innovation at the Uni in ON I used to work for say something very similar. He was from Alberta but I don't think that matters.
Is "I'm led to believe" the same as "they say"? Who leads and who says?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.