Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Typical Canadian behaviour that blows your mind

Old Aug 31st 2017, 7:54 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Typical Canadian behaviour that blows your mind

We fax stuff in the office-not using paper but electronically. I would totally agree that I think that the risk of divergence to the wrong phone numbers is reasonably high and security versus e-mailing information is probably not much different. In the UK-certainly when we were there, clinical information was not sent by e-mail as this was not secure-I'm not sure what happens now. I was amazed using faxes initially, it was like stepping back in time but now we don't have to depend on sending sheets of paper, doing it electronically it makes life a lot easier.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 7:58 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Hey the neighbour opposite came to tell us there were coons in our loft space
I remember when that would have meant something entirely different. Fortunately times have changed.

(not for some sadly)
Old Aug 31st 2017, 8:03 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Pedestrians walking out in front of a moving car because they know they have right of way.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 8:05 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
...security versus e-mailing information is probably not much different...
I think the difference is there though.

If you get a fax by mistake you only know that from looking at it, by which time you've seen it.

If you get an attachment in an email from someone you don't expect, you're quite likely not to open it. At least I hope so.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
For me its the following:
  • Tail-gating - its like an Olympic Sport here. I am constantly keeping my distance in the slow lane, as I watch a line of tail-gating idiots in the fast line. I wonder why it doesnt cross their minds what the sh1t show accident that they may be about to enter into is going to look and feel like.
  • Such a dislike of change. Offices here have so much paper in them that at first it was a shock. Like Jeez - SO MUCH PAPER.
  • Love of fax machines - dont get it.
Yes Ive noticed the tail gating too.....also not letting you into the other lane when you indicate, in the UK, they hold back and usually let you over into the other lane....not here

Infact lane discipline doesn't seem to feature much in driving over here - that said its more noticeable on the 401, constant undertaking and lane weaving from one side to another, and some even without any indication!! its highly dangerous.

That is all caused by poor lane discipline, some clown doing 60-70kph in the middle or outside lane. person behind becomes impatient and undertakes some times going from one side of the highway to the other...and back again! The cops should enforce this instead of being obsessed with speed

You very rarely see undertaking on a British motorway..lane discipline is paramount for safe driving. Although you do get the obligatory BMW flashing his lights to get you to move out of his way....rarely undertakes though.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 9:06 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I think the difference is there though.

If you get a fax by mistake you only know that from looking at it, by which time you've seen it.

If you get an attachment in an email from someone you don't expect, you're quite likely not to open it. At least I hope so.
It is still mistaken transfer of sensitive information whether you choose to read the email or not
Old Aug 31st 2017, 9:07 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Pedestrians walking out in front of a moving car because they know they have right of way.
This. It really beggars belief that anyone can be that stupid.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 9:13 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Yes Ive noticed the tail gating too.....also not letting you into the other lane when you indicate, in the UK, they hold back and usually let you over into the other lane....not here

Infact lane discipline doesn't seem to feature much in driving over here - that said its more noticeable on the 401, constant undertaking and lane weaving from one side to another, and some even without any indication!! its highly dangerous.

That is all caused by poor lane discipline, some clown doing 60-70kph in the middle or outside lane. person behind becomes impatient and undertakes some times going from one side of the highway to the other...and back again! The cops should enforce this instead of being obsessed with speed

You very rarely see undertaking on a British motorway..lane discipline is paramount for safe driving. Although you do get the obligatory BMW flashing his lights to get you to move out of his way....rarely undertakes though.

It would be interesting to see a comparison of how well other countries drive. I'm fairly sure Britain would come out on top (perhaps a co-lead with Germany). The French have a habit of not letting you pass (or perhaps that's only when you have non-French plates). I think the US is fairly similar in driving style to Canada.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 9:28 pm
Oscar nominated

...lane discipline...weaving from one side to another...
I don't think that's a thing here. It's normal to do that isn't it?

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
It is still mistaken transfer of sensitive information whether you choose to read the email or not
True enough, but my "hoping you don't read the attachment" wasn't so much about choosing not to because it was sent to you by mistake but about following all the security advice and not opening attachments from unexpected or unknown sources because it might damage your computer.

Every computer user with that level of awareness wouldn't open it, whereas they would remove a sheet of paper from the fax machine.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 11:19 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

They finally have keep right laws now in BC

Keep Right, Let Others Pass - Province of British Columbia

I wish this was more widely known (from the same website)

If a driver is driving in the left lane at the posted speed limit and another vehicle approaches from behind, does the driver need to move out of the left lane?

Yes. The rule requires the driver to move out of the left lane even if the driver is driving at the posted speed limit.

Last edited by Danny B; Aug 31st 2017 at 11:22 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 11:33 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Danny B
They finally have keep right laws now in BC...
I thought that was just political preference.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I think the difference being that undertaking is legal here?
Old Sep 1st 2017, 1:15 am
Oscar nominated

I think the difference being that undertaking is legal here?
Marvellous...you google undertaker for some funny pics and all you get is bleedin' wrestlers.
Old Sep 1st 2017, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Marvellous...you google undertaker for some funny pics and all you get is bleedin' wrestlers.
I thought undertakers worked in funeral parlours?
Old Sep 1st 2017, 1:18 am
Oscar nominated

I thought undertakers worked in funeral parlours?
Or even funeral homes which I always thought was an odd name.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.