Trumps First week

Old Jan 29th 2017, 10:30 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trumps First week

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38768272

I thought this summed it up quite nicely, as only the BBC can. Most amusing in a we are all Really Really screwed kind of fashion...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38768272

Last edited by MillieF; Jan 29th 2017 at 10:33 am.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 2:08 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trumps First week

He's done now, isn't he? He's implemented his main campaign promises. He can now get back to tweeting and the occasional round of golf.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 2:23 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

You tell him, Mo!

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...de-me-an-alien

Last edited by Shard; Jan 29th 2017 at 2:26 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 2:31 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

the recent weekend lawsuit against the US government from non-US citizens arriving & detatined at US airports that believe they have rights... how ridiculous is that?

http://thehill.com/policy/national-s...n-amid-refugee

I wonder how many Americans going to one of the 7 countries on Trumps ban list who are refused entry would actually get to have their say, if it would ever make the media or they would end up in a cold dark cell never to be heard from again?

Unless I'm totally wrong - Non -US citizens even if they are residents of the US do not I believe have any rights or freedoms & can be turned away or refused entry to the US at the discretion of the US government (with a visa, or as a green card holder)

As for the 'wall' & the mexicans, I see the wall moving along as built.

Now as of this past weekend GM is moving production of a vehicle from Canada to Mexico, with Canada losing 625 direct factory worker jobs. GM canada employs approx 3500 factory workers, while GM Mexico employs 15,000.

GM in its statement said 'we are not moving any production from Mexico back to the US'

I say the President of the United States together with its 325 million people have a lot of muscle power.

Last edited by not2old; Jan 29th 2017 at 2:47 pm. Reason: added link
Old Jan 29th 2017, 2:44 pm
Yo

The legality and morality of the country ban aside, it shouldn't have been implemented with such immediate effect. US should have given a 1-2 week grace period for individuals with already purchased tickets or returnees the chance to enter.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 2:51 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
The legality and morality of the country ban aside, it shouldn't have been implemented with such immediate effect. US should have given a 1-2 week grace period for individuals with already purchased tickets or returnees the chance to enter.
why 1-2 weeks, why a"grace period", why then not a longer or shorter period - just sign the orders & as of the date they're signed is as good as it gets.

Fair warning - When Trump was running his election campaign he did say 'as President he would do certain things in his first 100 days in office'

As the US President, does he need to give notice ever of his executive orders or their implementation?

Of course no one expects a politician to do what they say they're going to do... ever.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 2:51 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

It is now such a divided country it's getting scary. Go on twitter and search #MAGA and people love him, search #muslimban and you get the opposite.

I don't know what to think anymore, I kind of liked him at first, thought he was a breath of fresh air but now I'm not so sure. He does seem to be a bit mentally unstable.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 2:57 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by Danny B
It is now such a divided country it's getting scary. Go on twitter and search #MAGA and people love him, search #muslimban and you get the opposite.

I don't know what to think anymore, I kind of liked him at first, thought he was a breath of fresh air but now I'm not so sure. He does seem to be a bit mentally unstable.
Should it matter or be of any concern to those of us living in Canada to 'care' or 'think' about what Trump is doing, or all that we are seeing in the US media (re-broadcast by Canadian networks or in the Canadian media, even the UK)... I don't think so
Old Jan 29th 2017, 3:28 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
Should it matter or be of any concern to those of us living in Canada to 'care' or 'think' about what Trump is doing, or all that we are seeing in the US media (re-broadcast by Canadian networks or in the Canadian media, even the UK)... I don't think so
That is not a good attitude to take. Of course there is nothing wrong with caring or thinking about what is happening in the US, or any other country in the world right now.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 3:48 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Trump also named Bannon to the National Security Council, removing intel chief and chair of Joint Chiefs of Staff

This bit I find intriguing, and I wonder if it could be the precursor to a shake-up of the military to root out traitors and wrong-thinking members. I'm not going to flirt with Godwin's Law here, just wondering if he has paranoia to match his ego.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 4:21 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

How many of us have sat in boardrooms in full knowledge that when a decision is to be taken it's the CEO who gets his way. The concept of shared responsibility doesn't exist where the buck stops at the top.
We have sat in boardrooms where specific responsibilities are assigned to individuals and the buck stops with them.
Trump is running the US as US Inc.. just as he said he would. An interesting experiment.. if only it had been Lichtenstein or Vanuatu and not the most powerful nation on earth.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 4:26 pm
Yo

If it were Lichtenstein or Vanuatu, the experiment would not be nearly as interesting.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 4:33 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Nonsensical I'm afraid. Unless Sir Mo becomes a US citizen then he is, and remains, an alien under US law, nothing to do with Trump. The ban also won't apply to him as he would have ceased to be a Somali citizen upon acquiring British citizenship.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 4:35 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

If it were Lichtenstein or Vanuatu, the experiment would not be nearly as interesting.
Point taken.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 5:01 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
...it's the CEO...the buck stops at the top...
What a novel concept, this idea that someone at the top has the "misfortune" to take the fall.

Here you are Sir Philip, here is the money you'd have "earned" (the term applied loosely) for the rest of your contract without even having to stay on and work for it, and here's a nice gold plated bonus for you as well, as compensation.

Oh and I have a nice little consultancy position for you when the fuss dies down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.