Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Trudeau mocked after 'people kind' comment

Trudeau mocked after 'people kind' comment

Old Feb 26th 2018, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trudeau mocked after 'people kind' comment

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
This. I don't think Conservative-leaning posters on here can possibly be aware just how much damage Harper did to Canada's international reputation. The starkest example is possibly the unfortunate debacle surrounding the (failed) international lobbying to get elected to a spot on the UN Security Council in 2010. Even Lawrence Cannon, Harper's foreign minister at the time, acknowledged that Canada's move away from its traditional "peacekeeper" reputation towards a much more hard-line foreign policy, had played a significant role in the defeat.

Canada's reputation, and that of its prime minister, are rather stronger now under Trudeau than they ever were under the previous administration.
What "peacekeeper" reputation? The only people that believe this are Canadians.

I was in theatre all over the world in both "combat" and "peacekeeping" operations. I never came across a member of the Canadian armed forces, nor did I hear anyone praising them as renowned peacekeepers. I heard lots about Americans being incompetent and gung ho, about the French being aggressive, about the South Africans and Israelis as being heartless and about Aussies as being, "on a par with the British."

Canada's reputation as what?

I'd suggest that Canada's reputation outside of Canada means as much to the rest of the world as that of Norway's and that most people never think about it.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Feb 26th 2018 at 4:00 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2018, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Not in itself, no, but with examples given of popularity and in the absence of foreign news media reporting the opposite it very likely does. Unless one believes people can be popular but not respected.

It seemed a reasonable response to the suggestion he was a national embarrassment.
I can accept that it is possible to be respected purely for being popular, but I am not sure of what that really amounts to, other than if one wishes to be thought of as the new Princess Diana.
Old Feb 26th 2018, 3:59 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
What "peacekeeper" reputation? The only people that believe this are Canadians.

Canada's reputation as what?
from a Walrus article, so Canadian, but this was the first hit from Google. I'll find a non-Canadian source shortly:

It’s easy to forget [Canada was] once a peacekeeping behemoth. It was foreign affairs (then external affairs) minister Lester B. Pearson who proposed the first large-scale deployment of peacekeepers to Egypt during the Suez Crisis in 1956. The United Nations Emergency Force, initially led by a Canadian general, helped keep the peace between Egypt and Israel until the Six Day War in 1967. Pearson was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts, and Canada remained a mainstay of UN peacekeeping for decades, contributing 125,000 troops and police officers to missions in more than thirty-five countries.
Old Feb 26th 2018, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
from a Walrus article, so Canadian, but this was the first hit from Google. I'll find a non-Canadian source shortly:
No need. I accept that Canada has been involved in UN peacekeeping operations, just as many other members of the UN and Nato have too.
Old Feb 26th 2018, 4:18 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
....I believe that one A. HItler was popular at one time, even did well in the 1933 election.
I don't think one can compare popularity levels of people in completely different eras when the access to information is so much greater in one than another.
...to use popularity as an argument to assess any politician is fraught with difficulty.
For competence, effectiveness and things like that, maybe, but for the topic in hand - embarrassment or otherwise - I'd say it was more than reasonable.
Old Feb 26th 2018, 4:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Being popular doesnt make one a good leader.

I did not like Harper and would never vote conservative if I could vote but I am no fan of the current liberal party and its leader either.

But at the end of the day, I am more concerned about provincial level politics as decisions made at the provincial level tend to affect me more directly vs federal level which is more indirect.
Old Feb 26th 2018, 4:41 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
But at the end of the day, I am more concerned about provincial level politics as decisions made at the provincial level tend to affect me more directly vs federal level which is more indirect.
I think that may go for most of us.

It could make an interesting thread - something like what's changed federally/Provincially since you arrived?
Old Feb 26th 2018, 4:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I've just seen some pictures, I don't believe to be photoshopped, of Harper in a Chinese dress thingy, presumably in China, and, more ridiculously still, costumed as a cowboy. A cowboy! He's a lawyer from Barrie and he's not even American.

I mention this because I think dressing up is a Canadian thing, not a Liberal one. We may feel it's embarrassing but it's what the locals do
Old Feb 26th 2018, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I've just seen some pictures, I don't believe to be photoshopped, of Harper in a Chinese dress thingy, presumably in China, and, more ridiculously still, costumed as a cowboy. A cowboy! He's a lawyer from Barrie and he's not even American.

I mention this because I think dressing up is a Canadian thing, not a Liberal one. We may feel it's embarrassing but it's what the locals do
The one thing that frustrates him in his desire to be fully inclusive is that he is anatomically unable to have monthly period.
Old Feb 26th 2018, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dbd33

It always makes me chuckle when the leaders of the parties come to Calgary during the Stampede in western gear. The things politicians are prepared to do to get a vote.
Old Feb 26th 2018, 7:22 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
The one thing that frustrates him in his desire to be fully inclusive is that he is anatomically unable to have monthly period.
That's a pretty vile comment, if you don't mind my saying so.
Old Feb 26th 2018, 8:31 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get upset about what the rest of the world thinks of Trudeau, or of whomever is Canadian PM. I promise you, they're not thinking about it, at all.