Trial by media

Old May 22nd 2015, 5:37 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trial by media

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
I might be wrong but I think the point they were trying to make is that it is who is applying (administering?) the consequences that they thought was wrong.

They haven't said it is a mans right to insult and harass - just that it should be dealt with through the proper legal channels by impartial authorities. (In fact I think Gozit even said perhaps the law should be changed to recognize the problem)
Yes, impartiality, due process, etc.. Companies are not sufficiently equipped to assess situations out of work and are relatively easy to manipulate. We should aim for less corporate intrusion into our private life in principle.
Old May 22nd 2015, 5:54 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Yes, impartiality, due process, etc.. Companies are not sufficiently equipped to assess situations out of work and are relatively easy to manipulate. We should aim for less corporate intrusion into our private life in principle.
I am once again at a loss to understand your point here.

A company decided it did not want to have, on staff, somebody who felt it acceptable, appropriate, or amusing, to say what was said in public. The employee was filmed by a TV camera crew in a public place. Even if one agreed with your premise that an employee's private off-hours behaviour should have no impact on their continued employment, there is no reasonable expectation of privacy in teh plaza outside a football stadium.

Why do you feel that companies (in this case a government owned arms-length agency, but it would apply equally to a corporation in the private sector) are ill-equipped to judge who they want to employ or who they want to terminate? What else, actually, needs "assessing" here? Who else other than the company is better placed to make this judgement? If the reason for dismissal does not break anti-discrimination legislation, and does not amount to a breach of other employment law (in which case the employee presumably has recourse through the courts anyway) then why should that company be beholden to anybody else's values?
Old May 22nd 2015, 5:58 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian

A company decided it did not want to have, on staff, somebody who felt it acceptable, appropriate, or amusing, to say what was said in public. The employee was filmed by a TV camera crew in a public place. Even if one agreed with your premise that an employee's private off-hours behaviour should have no impact on their continued employment, there is no reasonable expectation of privacy in teh plaza outside a football stadium.

Why do you feel that companies (in this case a government owned arms-length agency, but it would apply equally to a corporation in the private sector) are ill-equipped to judge who they want to employ or who they want to terminate? What else, actually, needs "assessing" here? Who else other than the company is better placed to make this judgement? If the reason for dismissal does not break anti-discrimination legislation, and does not amount to a breach of other employment law (in which case the employee presumably has recourse through the courts anyway) then why should that company be beholden to anybody else's values?
I also note that Shard's insistence that action against the douche go through "proper legal channels" forces an onerous legal process on the victim of his harrassment. Great way to silence women - because that would be the effect, intended (?) or not.
Old May 22nd 2015, 5:59 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
In principle, I'd like men to stop harrassing women. Any company that supports that principle has my support
Old May 22nd 2015, 6:01 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

I would further add that I believe there is an onus on the company to evaluate and protect it's other employees. Not in a big brother watch your every move way, but if someone puts it out there as he did, then they have an obligation to act.
Old May 22nd 2015, 8:05 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I would further add that I believe there is an onus on the company to evaluate and protect it's other employees. Not in a big brother watch your every move way, but if someone puts it out there as he did, then they have an obligation to act.
Yes. And I think this is why the company was right to act.
Old May 22nd 2015, 8:07 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
In principle, I'd like men to stop harrassing women. Any company that supports that principle has my support
And vice versa. I'd like to see woman stop harassing men. There is no room for harassment in any place let alone the work place.
Old May 22nd 2015, 8:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

BREAKING NEWS
Newly elected NDP MP 26 yr old Deborah Drever has been suspended from the NDP caucus for making homophobic comments on Instagram.
Note only suspended she gets to keep her job and sits as an Independent.
Deborah Drever expelled from NDP caucus - Calgary - CBC News

Err can we class this as a double standard? Im sure all of the female posters are just as outraged as I am.
Old May 22nd 2015, 8:15 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

The NDP "fired" her, though if I'm not mistaken, they can't make her lose her seat as she was still elected, no?

This is just my ignorance here - is NDP able to do more than expelling her from the caucus and refusing to allow her to sit as part of the NDP? Or have NDP done all they can for their part?

Or would it be up to someone else to "fire" her to the point that she actually loses her seat?
Old May 22nd 2015, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
The NDP "fired" her, though if I'm not mistaken, they can't make her lose her seat as she was still elected, no?

This is just my ignorance here - is NDP able to do more than expelling her from the caucus and refusing to allow her to sit as part of the NDP? Or have NDP done all they can for their part?

Or would it be up to someone else to "fire" her to the point that she actually loses her seat?
The provincial NDP leader just stated they would review her situation after 12 months and then would reconsider letting her back into the NDP caucus.
Bottom line is she hasn't lost her job and is now an Independent MP of the Alberta Legislature.
So basically she hasn't lost her job.
Old May 22nd 2015, 8:22 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
The provincial NDP leader just stated they would review her situation after 12 months and then would reconsider letting her back into the NDP caucus.
Bottom line is she hasn't lost her job and is now an Independent MP of the Alberta Legislature.
So basically she hasn't lost her job.
Who would be the one to fire her, though?

If all NDP can do is suspend her, then they've done what they can do, in my books.

It's a bit like all the Rob Ford stuff last year... the rest of City Council couldn't remove him as mayor, so instead they did the max of what they could do: stripped him of pretty much all his powers as major and just let time run out.

So in this case, how would she 'lose her job'? She's not employed by the NDP, she's employed by the people who elected her, so I assume then there would have to be some kind of recall or byelection in order for her to actually lose her job?
Old May 22nd 2015, 8:24 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

BREAKING NEWS
Newly elected NDP MP 26 yr old Deborah Drever has been suspended from the NDP caucus for making homophobic comments on Instagram.
Note only suspended she gets to keep her job and sits as an Independent.
Deborah Drever expelled from NDP caucus - Calgary - CBC News

Err can we class this as a double standard? Im sure all of the female posters are just as outraged as I am.
This is pretty outrageous, and it would be a fair bet that if she were employed anywhere else this sort of thing would be a career-limiting event. But I'm not sure the NDP can do much more than expel her from caucus. Does Alberta have a mechanism to recall, or dismiss, MLAs? Of course, if she was honourable she'd resign, but the very nature of her social media comments suggests honour is not high on her list of attributes...
Old May 22nd 2015, 8:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This is pretty outrageous, and it would be a fair bet that if she were employed anywhere else this sort of thing would be a career-limiting event. But I'm not sure the NDP can do much more than expel her from caucus. Does Alberta have a mechanism to recall, or dismiss, MLAs? Of course, if she was honourable she'd resign, but the very nature of her social media comments suggests honour is not high on her list of attributes...
Expulsion
30 The Assembly may, after a hearing conducted in accordance with its standing orders, expel a Member for any cause that is sufficient in the opinion of the Assembly.
1983 cL-10.1 s36

Resignation
31(1) A Member may resign the Member’s seat as a Member
(a) by declaring openly in the Member’s place in the Assembly during its proceedings that the Member resigns the Member’s seat as a Member, or
(b) by delivering a resignation signed by the Member and attested to by 2 witnesses to the Clerk.
(2) When a Member resigns the Member’s seat in accordance with subsection (1), the seat immediately becomes vacant.
(3) The resignation of a Member does not affect the Member’s liability to prosecution for an offence under Part 5 or 6 of the Election Act.
Old May 22nd 2015, 8:40 pm
Magnificently Withering

Expulsion
30 The Assembly may, after a hearing conducted in accordance with its standing orders, expel a Member for any cause that is sufficient in the opinion of the Assembly.
1983 cL-10.1 s36

Resignation
31(1) A Member may resign the Member’s seat as a Member
(a) by declaring openly in the Member’s place in the Assembly during its proceedings that the Member resigns the Member’s seat as a Member, or
(b) by delivering a resignation signed by the Member and attested to by 2 witnesses to the Clerk.
(2) When a Member resigns the Member’s seat in accordance with subsection (1), the seat immediately becomes vacant.
(3) The resignation of a Member does not affect the Member’s liability to prosecution for an offence under Part 5 or 6 of the Election Act.
That's pretty clear-cut, then. The NDP has done all they can from the party management perpsective, by throwing her out of caucus. If she won't resign, the Assembly can expel her so long as enough MLAs agree. "Any cause that is sufficient in the opinion of the Assembly" is actually much broader than I expected it to be... we shall have to see what happens.
Old May 22nd 2015, 8:43 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

The sad thing here is this is a public figure as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.