Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Toronto Maple Leafs new logo

Toronto Maple Leafs new logo

Old Feb 5th 2016, 12:07 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toronto Maple Leafs new logo

Originally Posted by JamesM
The service industry has paid numerous independent strong women through college. I'd argue it prepares them for the many facets of behaviour one can face in the world.

I have a San Jose Sharks jersey (sent to me by a client a couple of years ago).

And a Canucks jersey from a game I attended in Van back in December 2003.

Back in Blighty I attended several Guildford Flames-Bracknell Bees games over the years. That was real Hockey. I used to wear my Van jersey to look down on people much like I wear my Spurs top to TFC games.

People often forget (or simply don't know) Britain won the Iced Hockey gold medal in 36. I affectionately regard the "Boys of 36" as the most accomplished side ever to have graced the game:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_ho...inter_Olympics

The first team to be World, Olympic and European Champions.
Don't forget the Brighton Tigers, who famously beat the Soviet Union's national team in 1957.
Old Feb 5th 2016, 3:46 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
That's a useful fact.

Already have my canucks jersey, part of my prep for moving the Canada. Just moved to the wrong city...
I had a brief love affair with the game after my trip to Van (first trip to Canada). That was when the Sedin's were relatively new and the Canucks had Naslund and Bertuzzi. At the time there was an incredibly fierce rivalry with Colorado Avalanche that resulted in Bertuzzi blind siding Steve Moore and getting a rather lengthy ban. Steve Moore had in a previous game assaulted Naslund and been warned he was a "Marked Man".

Some classic games were played between the two. One memorable game was 5-5.

I haven't seen two teams with such a loathing of each other since in professional sport since.

Then when I arrived on my Work Holiday Visa there was a season strike and I never really got back into it after that.

I've never really found people in Toronto to be particularly into Hockey and it is seldom discussed in the office like football is back in England. In fact with a Geordie and an Irishman in spitting distance of me Football is our most discussed sport.

Originally Posted by Souvy
Don't forget the Brighton Tigers, who famously beat the Soviet Union's national team in 1957.
I'll have to research that one. The Soviet Union were quite the team back then.

Last edited by JamesM; Feb 5th 2016 at 3:52 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2016, 5:51 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM

I've never really found people in Toronto to be particularly into Hockey and it is seldom discussed in the office like football is back in England.
I think they're just quiet about it because the Leafs are so shite. TO is a hockey town.
Old Feb 6th 2016, 11:32 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

When I was a child I wore the blue and white touque with the Maple Leaf logo. It seemed that we all wore either Toronto or Montreal colours. Maybe if you just moved over, or live in a mine, you aren't familiar with this classic....