Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Top five dinners of all time

Top five dinners of all time

Old Feb 20th 2017, 10:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Top five dinners of all time

Originally Posted by JamesM
We are not looking for "War and Peace".
Being more of a movie person, I prefer to think of it as Babette's Feast
Old Feb 21st 2017, 12:04 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Steak frites
Creamy pasta
Thai meal
Japanese shabu shabu
Persian kebab
(+ Roast beef/chicken + CTM (goes without saying))
Old Feb 21st 2017, 12:16 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

That's breakfast son. That's a whole different meal category!

You need to allocate something else.
I love egg n chips for supper! My Dad used to serve it once a week (he worked full time) and would deep fry the eggs so they were all crispy on the outside.

I digress.

Chicken Pathia from 'Flavours of India' in Hastings (UK)
Roast beef - rare, yorkshire puds, carrots and other veg, lashings of good beef gravy
Toad in the hole like my Mum made it, crunchy edges and soft middlles
Steamed garlic shrimp, beef in oyster sauce, singapore noodles, szechuan shrimp or chicken, Tsing Tao beer - Sha Tin Seafood Restaurant, HK
Chicken Satay, Gado Gado, Mee Goreng babi and Nasi Goreng from the Indonesian, HK

and about a dozen others!

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 21st 2017 at 12:20 am.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 12:18 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Roast Leg of Lamb, with Roast pots, green beans and baby carrots and mint sauce...in Spring.

Crown/Frenched lamb chops with baby new potatoes and green beans.

Lamb shanks, slowly roasted with roasted garlic and mash

(yes...shoot me...I love Lamb)

Shepherds Pie...but homemade - that's my 'death row' meal

Portobello Mushrooms stuffed with Proscuttio and Goat Cheese...or any other cheese.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 12:37 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Since coming to this board I've realized that I know little of food. There's a poster here who will fly to New York to sniff a lettuce that's been laid out by one of the great lettuce layer outs. I know nothing.

However, in me proletarian way, I've enjoyed:

Raclet, French cheese, Vacherin for example, potatoes, some form of air dried meat, pickled onions.
Beef Wellington when the ingredients were all the money for that week and the other days were beans on toast.
Tuna, hauled out of the sea by me own fair hands off Ocean City, formatted on the dock, barbecued.
Ribs, meat from the Mennonites "fresh? If you driven a little faster you could have seen him trotting around the floor", Cajun rubbed, smoked.
Bacon sandwich. We took peameal from the market here on a plane to Paris (where, I concede, we were going anyway) so as to be able to have Canadian bacon with edible bread.
Fish and chips on the dock in Oban.
Citrus braised lamb shanks using the River Cottage recipe.

Yeah, that's a metric five.

Oh, and some of the million and one expense account dinners really were all they were cracked up to be. I liked Bouchon enough that I went back with my own money!
Old Feb 21st 2017, 12:46 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33

Oh, and some of the million and one expense account dinners really were all they were cracked up to be. I liked Bouchon enough that I went back with my own money!
I've had some kick arse steaks on expense accounts. Greig's in Mayfair and Barberian's in Toronto. The problem was they were twenty ounces and in trying to finish them I could not say that I enjoyed them as much as "The Baseball" at the Keg.

I also ate some fancy 7 course thing at a Michelin starred restaurant in London but can't remember any of it other than the fact there was more waiters than people eating.

Thoroughbred TO in Toronto does "King Pao Cauliflower" as a side and their menu is pretty kick arse. That would be my tip for anyone visiting this city.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry if this is a bit of a Trump card, pun intended..was one of my top five.

I took the menu card upon leaving. Nice bit of partridge that...
Attached Thumbnails Top five dinners of all time-image.jpeg  

Last edited by Yorkiechef; Feb 21st 2017 at 1:15 am.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 1:22 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I've had some kick arse steaks on expense accounts. Greig's in Mayfair and Barberian's in Toronto. The problem was they were twenty ounces and in trying to finish them I could not say that I enjoyed them as much as "The Baseball" at the Keg.
Somewhere, St Louis maybe, we went to a place that offered a 32 ounce steak, "free if you finish it". Someone in our party did finish it.

Is Barberian's still going? I suppose it was the 80s when I went there, at the time it was sort of a trendy competitor to Hy's, part of circuit of corporate dining places, it was always there or the Bistro 990 for out of town visitors until they got a Ruth's Chris in Toronto. People from small town America know Ruth's Chris we took them there so they could feel like they were in Oklahoma City or Omaha.

Last edited by dbd33; Feb 21st 2017 at 1:31 am.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 1:25 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef

I can't open attachments and so can't read which restaurant that was. I hope it was this one:

Trump Grill Could Be the Worst Restaurant in America | Vanity Fair
Old Feb 21st 2017, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

I can't open attachments and so can't read which restaurant that was. I hope it was this one:

Trump Grill Could Be the Worst Restaurant in America | Vanity Fair
As far as I am aware, that particular franchise hasn't made it to SW1.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 1:42 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Being more of a movie person, I prefer to think of it as Babette's Feast
Or Mr Creosote....
Old Feb 21st 2017, 1:47 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Or Mr Creosote....
Maître d': "Ah, good afternoon, sir; and how are we today?"
Mr Creosote: "Better."
Maître d': "Better?"
Mr Creosote: "Better get a bucket, I'm gonna throw up."
Old Feb 21st 2017, 2:19 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Somewhere, St Louis maybe, we went to a place that offered a 32 ounce steak, "free if you finish it". Someone in our party did finish it.

Is Barberian's still going? I suppose it was the 80s when I went there, at the time it was sort of a trendy competitor to Hy's, part of circuit of corporate dining places, it was always there or the Bistro 990 for out of town visitors until they got a Ruth's Chris in Toronto. People from small town America know Ruth's Chris we took them there so they could feel like they were in Oklahoma City or Omaha.
Barberian's is still going. May well be the same staff there too. Very old traditional service dining .

Jacobs is the trendier fine dining Steak spot these days. It's pretty good but more pricey than any other steak house I've been for a fancy cut. My bill with a cheap cut was $140 with a beer and glass of wine but some of their cuts run to hundreds of dollars. Late last year I discovered two of the guys who attend my gym actually run it so hopefully next time I'm there I can get some concessions or sneak one of the higher end cuts on to the plate.

I've worked in the building where Hy's is but not made it there or Ruth's.

In Bogota, Colombia I had a couple of fantastic steaks but no idea what the restaurants were called. I wish I'd had Facebook check in back then.

I think I could do 32 ounce with no starter or side (which is cheating). I'm not sure where the enjoyment or satisfaction would come though.

I'd think somewhere like St.Louis would have it's fair share of obese pandemic American's and 32 ounce would be a standard meal size?

Last edited by JamesM; Feb 21st 2017 at 2:21 am.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 2:24 am
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef

Very posh.

Was it your choice to leave? or did they release the hounds?
Old Feb 21st 2017, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Very posh.

Was it your choice to leave? or did they release the hounds?
At the end of the evening I was so pissed, I could hardly utter a word coherently, difficult when they like to say farewell individually to every guest.. � ���� haven't been invited back....but there is time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.