Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The Toon Army / EPL thread

The Toon Army / EPL thread

Old Oct 17th 2017, 3:48 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Toon Army / EPL thread

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Yes.

Not very busy but relevant. There are plenty of threads duplicated across country and general forums. Better to chat about the game around a cozy table than somewhere bigger.
Plus, the people in the other forums are cads.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 4:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

The under 17s almost just blew it in the WC.

These are the lads who were leading against Spain in the Euro final back in May and then conceded a late equaliser with momentum seeing Spain win on penalties.

All of the 'young' England teams have shown themselves capable of a level of skill, ability and confidence over the summer that the first team haven't.

But having qualified through the group with an impressive 100% record today they started to overplay everything around the penalty area and confidence seemed to have deserted them. They were shot shy, and overhit every cross and missed their passes.

I can't imagine why they'd be nervous after the summer they've had but they looked it.

The match went to penalties and they won that with not a missed penalty. On to the quarter finals.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

The match went to penalties and they won that with not a missed penalty. On to the quarter finals.
Overplaying it around the penalty area. Hmm..sounds like something Arsenal would do.

I wish I could take a penalty with that level of accuracy that won the game.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 6:42 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Overplaying it around the penalty area. Hmm..sounds like something Arsenal would do...

And it was a real surprise. I've been watching all the age teams over the summer, including the one at the Toulon tournament made up of 3rd and 4th choice players because it was running concurrently with one of the other full tournaments.

The crisp, accurate passing and the ability to control it, lay it off etc was present throughout.

I repeatedly made comments about it here, on the guardian blogs and to friends but I also made the point that, unlike Arsenal, they didn't overplay.

And today they did.
Old Oct 19th 2017, 10:04 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, sorry to have been away. Aside from a bit of travel, I also had a hardware problem on my Mac. All well now, thanks for asking.

If Newcastle can be rid of the Fat Cockney Bastard before Christmas it would a bigger treat than Boris and Michael having a minor fatal road accident. But I think the former is more probable.

I have a bit of insider information here: Amanda Staverley, who fronts a massive investment fund in Dubai, is currently holed up in a hotel in Blanchland (about 30 miles from the Toon) and helicopters carrying various billionaires from her turf having been flying in and out for the last few days.

I think there's a real chance that Newcastle will be the next Oil Owned premiership club before the year is out and I suspect Rafa can and will deal very well with the change.

Watch this space.
Old Oct 19th 2017, 10:44 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
...I suspect Rafa can and will deal very well with the change...
If not they can always get 'the permed one' Kev back. Third time lucky.
Old Oct 21st 2017, 5:38 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

If not they can always get 'the permed one' Kev back. Third time lucky.
After today's undeserved 1-0 against the Mighty Palace, last week's destroyers of the less than mighty Chel$hite, the Toon is now 6th. And the usual 52,000 put on a stellar performance too.

Canny marketing pet.

Amanda, don't bother with due diligence. Just take us, we won't resist.
Old Oct 30th 2017, 12:12 pm
Oscar nominated

Old Nov 5th 2017, 7:00 pm
Oscar nominated

Old Nov 21st 2017, 4:06 pm
Born again atheist

Well, the welcome news today is that PCP Capital, fronted by Amanda Staveley, have offered around £300m for the Toon (just the football club, not the whole thing).

The Fat Cockney Bastard wants a bit more before agreeing to an exclusive negotiation with PCP, but there could be dazzling light at the end of the tunnel soon.

Maybe even in time for the January window. Please God, I promise to change my avatar if this comes off.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Nov 21st 2017 at 4:08 pm.