Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The Toon Army / EPL thread

The Toon Army / EPL thread

Old Dec 20th 2007, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: The Toon Army / EPL thread

Originally Posted by britishvixen21
BYKER GROVE!!!!!!
shut it Girl! im sick of u saying that everytime im on the phone to my mam
Old Dec 21st 2007, 1:09 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celine_uk
shut it Girl! im sick of u saying that everytime im on the phone to my mam
Hmmm. I've obviously been away far too long. It seems britishvixen and celine are referring to a BBC TV programme rather than an address. 1989-1994 apparently. Who knew?

I wonder where these two are from?

If yer Geordies give us a sing of "Fog on the Tyne".
Old Dec 21st 2007, 11:31 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Hmmm. I've obviously been away far too long. It seems britishvixen and celine are referring to a BBC TV programme rather than an address. 1989-1994 apparently. Who knew?

I wonder where these two are from?

If yer Geordies give us a sing of "Fog on the Tyne".
Altogether now, "we can have a wee wee, we can have a piss on the wall". That, curiously, was the first full priced album I bought. It had to be specially ordered in Burnt Oak.

Lyrical genius that Jimmy Alun Hull. For years I misheard "the spittle from his twisted lips ran down to his bowtie" (from the solo album with a Magritte on the cover) as "ran to his glass eye" which made me wonder about physics in Newcastle.

Did you know that the mandolin player, Simon someone, is brewer someone around the GTA now? He's in the Feathers now and then. On one occasion I ran into all the living members of one version of the band in O'Farrell's - they were, of course, unintelligible.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 12:10 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Altogether now, "we can have a wee wee, we can have a piss on the wall". That, curiously, was the first full priced album I bought. It had to be specially ordered in Burnt Oak.

Lyrical genius that Jimmy Alun Hull. For years I misheard "the spittle from his twisted lips ran down to his bowtie" (from the solo album with a Magritte on the cover) as "ran to his glass eye" which made me wonder about physics in Newcastle.

Did you know that the mandolin player, Simon someone, is brewer someone around the GTA now? He's in the Feathers now and then. On one occasion I ran into all the living members of one version of the band in O'Farrell's - they were, of course, unintelligible.
True story: I've performed in the same folk club on the same evening as Alun Hull; me mangling Dylan and him doing his own stuff, pre-Lindesfarne. He was better than me.

<and its, "we can have a wet on the wall">
Old Dec 21st 2007, 12:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

<and its, "we can have a wet on the wall">
On the studio original. On the live album it's not bowdlerized.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 12:42 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by dbd33
On the studio original. On the live album it's not bowdlerized.
I see. I always thought the alliteration in the phrase was what makes it stand out.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 12:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I see. I always thought the alliteration in the phrase was what makes it stand out.
I loved it for the vulgarity, as a youth it spoke to me of a world of ruffians beyond the North Circular.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

johnnyc has a brilliant futurejohnnyc has a brilliant futurejohnnyc has a brilliant futurejohnnyc has a brilliant futurejohnnyc has a brilliant futurejohnnyc has a brilliant future

Always loved Alan Hull's "Winter Song",when he performed it on stage by himself during the Xmas concerts...

btw I've seen the fog on the tyne today
Old Dec 21st 2007, 3:27 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by johnnyc
Always loved Alan Hull's "Winter Song",when he performed it on stage by himself during the Xmas concerts...

btw I've seen the fog on the tyne today
Of course these days, it's "Zog on the Tyne"

<wrestles thread back to the subject of footy>
Old Dec 21st 2007, 3:34 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

As in sitting in a sleazy snackbar supping sickly sausage rolls (or whatever it was).
Old Dec 21st 2007, 4:29 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Souvenir
As in sitting in a sleazy snackbar supping sickly sausage rolls (or whatever it was).
Something similar I suspect souvenir
Old Dec 21st 2007, 4:39 pm

Something similar I suspect souvenir
Do you find that the position of the "I" in that rather breaks the alliteration?

Perhaps there is a minimum number of contiguous homo words necessary to make alliteration effective, linguistic-wise?
Old Dec 21st 2007, 4:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

contiguous homo words
flamingflouncyfaggotflapsfulsomely?
Old Dec 21st 2007, 4:49 pm
Born again atheist

Do you find that the position of the "I" in that rather breaks the alliteration?
The "I" as in "I, pedant"?
Old Dec 21st 2007, 4:54 pm

The "I" as in "I, pedant"?
pedanto ergo sum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.