Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Technology, society and the human race

Technology, society and the human race

Old Dec 15th 2017, 7:49 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Technology, society and the human race

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Another one I have been meaning to watch for a while, but havent yet, thanks for the reminder and recomendation Shard.
The thing I like about this film is that it actually takes a stab at what an AI takeover of the human world might look like.

Another good one is Her, again quite a realistic but more benign vision of evolved AI.
Old Dec 15th 2017, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
The future is already here..

https://www.newscientist.com/article...brain-implant/

$100 million project to make intelligence-boosting brain implant
https://spectrum.ieee.org/the-human-...improve-memory
New Startup Aims to Commercialize a Brain Prosthetic to Improve Memory
and

https://www.cnet.com/news/superintel...ter-interface/

As AI and robots rise up, do humans need an upgrade too?
The book series I'm currently reading (I like Sci-Fi) has it's basis on this.. AI and human interface.

Fascinating!
Some interesting articles there Siouxie....I think I need one of those memory implants! lol Always had a terrible memory....my mom would say I would forget my head if it wasn't screwed on!

The book you are reading sounds very interesting....I love stuff like that.

We all through Terminator was and enjoyable science fiction fantasy movie back in 1984 when it came out....but now.....not as unbelievable, still a long way to go with regards to AI, but the far fetched theme of it (machines against humanity)....isn't quite as "far fetched" now.
Old Dec 15th 2017, 7:53 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
So did TV channels. Just not so individually targeted.

You really think TV wasn't a propaganda system?
Hmmm, I see where you are coming from, but even if it was a propaganda system (debatable) the fact that it is not micro targeted is a significant.
Old Dec 15th 2017, 7:56 pm
Yo

We all through Terminator was and enjoyable science fiction fantasy movie back in 1984 when it came out....but now.....not as unbelievable, still a long way to go with regards to AI, but the far fetched theme of it (machines against humanity)....isn't quite as "far fetched" now.
It is actually far fetched. Current thinking is that the AI threat would be simply that an AI would view humans as an irrelevance rather than a species requiring extermination. <Bristol: restraint SVP!>
Old Dec 15th 2017, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
The thing I like about this film is that it actually takes a stab at what an AI takeover of the human world might look like.

Another good one is Her, again quite a realistic but more benign vision of evolved AI.
That sounds very interesting, the world post AI take over, thats definitely on my to watch list now!

I have seen clips of "her" too....didnt that win awards? or at least nominated? I haven't seen it, but wasn't too sure how to take that one, thought it could have been a chick flick and would have to wait for a date night to watch that! lol
Old Dec 15th 2017, 7:59 pm
Yo

That sounds very interesting, the world post AI take over, thats definitely on my to watch list now!

I have seen clips of "her" too....didnt that win awards? or at least nominated? I haven't seen it, but wasn't too sure how to take that one, thought it could have been a chick flick and would have to wait for a date night to watch that! lol
I don't know if it's a chick flick. It's more a drama than rom com, but it is a bit weird in a way.
Old Dec 15th 2017, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

I don't know if it's a chick flick. It's more a drama than rom com, but it is a bit weird in a way.
Yes I was picking up weird vibes from the trailers. Probably why it won awards, its always the weird movies that get all the awards. Im sure I sound like a philstine now to the hollywood elite, but you know what I mean.
Old Dec 15th 2017, 9:56 pm
Yo

Yes I was picking up weird vibes from the trailers. Probably why it won awards, its always the weird movies that get all the awards. Im sure I sound like a philstine now to the hollywood elite, but you know what I mean.
I enjoyed it, but owing to the awards I had super high expectations and at the time, it fell a bit short. Nevertheless, it was a very interesting and balanced vision. If you can access Channel 4 Catch Up they had a week of very good robot progams on recently.
Old Dec 16th 2017, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

I enjoyed it, but owing to the awards I had super high expectations and at the time, it fell a bit short. Nevertheless, it was a very interesting and balanced vision. If you can access Channel 4 Catch Up they had a week of very good robot progams on recently.

Ill see if I can access that. thanks.