Teatime Choices

Old Jul 2nd 2015, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teatime Choices

Fried mushrooms with fettuccine and fresh green chillies-a little parmesan on the side if desired
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 3:26 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pica
Fried mushrooms with fettuccine and fresh green chillies-a little parmesan on the side if desired
Sounds wonderful. Is the fettuccine served with oil or anything?
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 4:07 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Lottery win this month?
I wish! A couple of weeks ago while camping I conferred with my chef friend while bbq'ing a duck re: confit and on Tuesday I read a little Jamie Oliver on the same subject. $10 No Frills duck and it makes enough for several good meals - easy peasy.
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 4:29 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
...$10 No Frills duck...
Oh, yes, I forgot your duck goes cheep-cheep rather than quack-quack
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 4:57 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, yes, I forgot your duck goes cheep-cheep rather than quack-quack
I just spoke with a young man in the meat dept of Atlantic Superstore on Trinity Drive and he said he thought their frozen ducks were Grade A, then he checked and said they were $14 and $21. $14 could be a large utility duck (average is more like $11 - $12), $21 almost certainly Grade A. Take a look through the frozen poultry next time you're shopping.
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 5:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look through the frozen poultry next time you're shopping.
Will do. Never saw one less than $22 or $23, but you never know. My stepdaughter works almost next door and looks in regularly so I'll get her to look out too.

Cheers.
Old Jul 4th 2015, 12:55 pm
Oscar nominated

I just spoke with a young man in the meat dept of Atlantic Superstore on Trinity Drive and he said he thought their frozen ducks were Grade A, then he checked and said they were $14 and $21. $14 could be a large utility duck (average is more like $11 - $12), $21 almost certainly Grade A. Take a look through the frozen poultry next time you're shopping.
Step daughter called in at Superstore Trinity last night and came home bearing two $14 ducks.

Thanks again.

Now if I could just remember why I wanted them.
Old Jul 4th 2015, 1:44 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Step daughter called in at Superstore Trinity last night and came home bearing two $14 ducks. Now if I could just remember why I wanted them.
Duck Confit: I tend to use recipes as a set of loose guidelines rather than absolute law. Thaw one out, take the neck out of the body cavity then let it thaw the rest of the way. You can roast it whole but I like to halve or quarter them so the fat covers more while cooking. Season it however you want, herbs, garlic, there are no real rules. I quartered mine and made slashes through the meaty bits and marinated it in soy, spices, olive oil and wine. To cook a duck in it's own fat if split or quartered try a small roaster or a baking dish so the fat covers more meat. About 50 min uncovered @ 350 then turn it over for another 50. Let it cool then pull all the meat off (save the bones and bits (wings etc) for a lovely bowl of duck soup and pour the fat in the baking dish through a strainer or into a separating pitcher (pitchered :-)), so you can cover the meat with the fat and just pull bits of duck out and reheat with a bit of the fat as you use it. That's what makes it so flavourfull.
Attached Thumbnails Teatime Choices-20150704_061757.jpg   Teatime Choices-20150704_063949.jpg  
Old Jul 4th 2015, 2:04 pm
Oscar nominated

Duck Confit
I shall paste that into my recipe list, thanks.

Previously I followed(ish) a Jamie Oliver method that began with slitting skin and roasting breast side down directly on the oven rack and catching the fat. It worked well enough but really only produced legs and skin with little breast. Not much for four, so it was really just on the side of something else.

It's better than Confit at $50 from!! Amazon
Old Jul 4th 2015, 2:24 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

The fast food places that make it in quantity on Diners Drive-ins and Dives all roast it low and slow (like all day) under foil or film (but they all have reserves of extra fat) so watch videos, and most importantly have fun. I like the convenience of having that tub of confit in the fridge ready to dice or shred and re-heat, and yes, definately better than opening a $50 can.
Old Jul 4th 2015, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Sounds wonderful. Is the fettuccine served with oil or anything?
Absolutely- just a drizzle
Old Jul 4th 2015, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Try as I might I just can't like eating duck-or rabbit', I think it's psychological cos ducks and rabbits are so cute.
Old Jul 4th 2015, 7:05 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Pica
Try as I might I just can't like eating duck-or rabbit', I think it's psychological cos ducks and rabbits are so cute.
Venison?

Old Jul 4th 2015, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

A shaving of truffles will elevate the dish
Old Jul 4th 2015, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

no, never tried it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.