British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Teatime Choices (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/teatime-choices-726714/)

Alan2005 Jul 30th 2011 1:49 am

Re: Teatime Choices

Well I made enough toad in the hole for two days, so it was left overs for me for tea.

Piff Poff Jul 30th 2011 2:34 am

Meatballs in a spicy tomato sauce and pasta, enough for left overs on Sunday - tomorrow I am being taken for supper.

charlottyb Jul 30th 2011 3:08 am

We had fish and chips down the road at the the Willows Galley, bit too much batter and not enough fish though. But we sat outside, all very pleasant!

mandymoochops Jul 30th 2011 3:56 am

left over spaghetti and meat sauce and a rum and pepsi for me :thumbup:

(sorry bolognaise - came over all Canadian there)

Oink Jul 30th 2011 6:51 am

Went to a posh Chinese restaurant and had a chicken & prawn curry. Then went to see The Trip with Rob Brydon and Steve Coogan as I hadn't seen the tv series. Very funny, although not a great wise choice after the aformentioned curry. :(

Jingsamichty Jul 30th 2011 12:19 pm

Last night's offering was some sort of unidentified dried out meat and oversalted, boiled-to-death vegetables again. Same as it is every night.

Keith Jul 30th 2011 1:35 pm

English tea/dinner meals tend to be bland and not very interesting. We need to look to Italians and French for appetizing meals that are attractive to look at and with flavour.

Atlantic Xpat Jul 30th 2011 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 9527770)
Last night's offering was some sort of unidentified dried out meat and oversalted, boiled-to-death vegetables again. Same as it is every night.

Is your cook a Newfoundlander then? Sounds like jigs dinner. I've tried to introduce my wife's relies here into the delights of nicely roasted beef a little pink in the middle, roast potatoes, yorkshires and vegetables with some crunch and flavour to them. Sadly, the delights of 'boil it all in a big pot with some salt beef riblets until it is tasteless mush' still seem to appeal to them. <Shudders>.

Alan2005 Jul 31st 2011 12:00 am

It's hot here today so it's various salads for tea. I have some meat which they called extra hot capacollo when I bought it - it's quite tasty and should go nicely with some lettuce and a picked egg.

For afters (as it's a saturday) it's profiteroles - just waiting for the pastry mix to cool a touch so I can beat the eggs into it.

Oink Jul 31st 2011 12:07 am

Its fireworks tonight in Vancouver so it'll be a late picnicy type food on the boat. Its a lovely evening weather-wise so it should be all good. Are you meant to chill asti spumante? My nan never did, but it as it's champagne I think you should. :confused:

Alan2005 Jul 31st 2011 12:08 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 9528506)
Its fireworks tonight in Vancouver so it'll be a late picnicy type food on the boat. Its a lovely evening weather-wise so it should be all good. Are you meant to chill asti spumante? My nan never did, but it as it's champagne I think you should. :confused:

Just tie a bit of string to the lid and dangle it over the side of the boat for half an hour. It should then be the perfect serving temperature.

Oink Jul 31st 2011 12:11 am

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 9528507)
Just tie a bit of string to the lid and dangle it over the side of the boat for half an hour. It should then be the perfect serving temperature.

Good idea. Although it has an electric cooler that will be pretty filled up with other grown-up pop and picnic food.

Jingsamichty Jul 31st 2011 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 9528495)
Is your cook a Newfoundlander then? Sounds like jigs dinner. I've tried to introduce my wife's relies here into the delights of nicely roasted beef a little pink in the middle, roast potatoes, yorkshires and vegetables with some crunch and flavour to them. Sadly, the delights of 'boil it all in a big pot with some salt beef riblets until it is tasteless mush' still seem to appeal to them. <Shudders>.

Yes, a lot of the kitchen staff are Newfies, perhaps that's the explanation.

Best one recently was described as 'roast beef au jus'. The cook would ask how we liked our meat - rare, medium or well done - and then no matter what the answer, would cut a slice off the charred joint in front of him. Ha ha. Then, he'd pass the plate to his assistant who had a big bucket of gravy in front of her, and she would ask sincerely, "Would you like some 'au jus'?" :rofl:

Worst is Saturday nights, when they have 'pub night'... that means dinner is chicken wings and economy burgers. And, just to rub salt into the gaping wound, no beer.

Oink Jul 31st 2011 4:31 pm

If you want any advice, don't, don't ffs think its a grand idea to order pizza from Dominos at 1:00 am and for a laugh ask for eight toppings all of which are pepperoni. :(

Boy d Aug 2nd 2011 12:13 am

Had a jar of Sharwoods tika masala with chicken.....tasty bit dearer at 5 bucks a jar...me brother gets 3 for 3 quid at aldis