British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Teatime Choices (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/teatime-choices-726714/)

Oink Mar 24th 2018 1:01 am

Re: Teatime Choices

Ronnie O'Sullivan's healthy chicken curry but with firm tofu. Saffron quinoa and a spring mixed green salad.

Jingsamichty Mar 24th 2018 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12468840)
Ronnie O'Sullivan's healthy chicken curry but with firm tofu. Saffron quinoa and a spring mixed green salad.

I bet you were hoping for Alex Higgins' pie and chips with a bottle of Merlot.

BristolUK Mar 26th 2018 8:59 pm

Snowdonia Black Bomber cheese, Haywards pickled onions and some buttered magnificently fresh/crusty bread.

The Ploughman went without.

BristolUK Mar 28th 2018 9:51 pm

Mash.
(Spud/carrot/turnip)

Just mash.
(Tooth extraction)

Coffeepot Mar 30th 2018 3:15 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12464077)
Do you have a method for getting them crispy? Or, at least, not droopy?

I have tried a few "guaranteed" methods and they haven't worked for me.

olive oil in the oven I'm afraid but very crispy
:thumbsup:

BristolUK Mar 30th 2018 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by Coffeepot (Post 12472860)
olive oil in the oven I'm afraid but very crispy
:thumbsup:

Hasn't worked for me, that was the first method I used. I've tried every 'tip' I've found...longer soak/no soak, dry thoroughly/less thoroughly, season them in a variety of ways, on a non-stick tray, with parchment paper, floured/not floured, cornflour....they're always very nice but always droopy and soft either in the oven or actifried.

They're better when I leave the skins on and season first but still soft.

Flamethrower maybe? :lol:

Pica Mar 30th 2018 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12473143)
Hasn't worked for me, that was the first method I used. I've tried every 'tip' I've found...longer soak/no soak, dry thoroughly/less thoroughly, season them in a variety of ways, on a non-stick tray, with parchment paper, floured/not floured, cornflour....they're always very nice but always droopy and soft either in the oven or actifried.

They're better when I leave the skins on and season first but still soft.

Flamethrower maybe? :lol:

Why not just forget trying? Ordinary spuds make excellent chips. I don't know why people eat sweet pots unless in a casserole type dish; they're not that exciting.

BristolUK Mar 30th 2018 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Pica (Post 12473144)
Why not just forget trying? Ordinary spuds make excellent chips.

Yep, they do. And very good in the actifry too.

I don't know why people eat sweet pots unless in a casserole type dish; they're not that exciting.
I had a plate of crispy sweet potato fries in the hospital cafeteria about three years ago and they were magnificent.

But even droopy, they are sufficiently different to ordinary chips. I also like having a different colour on my plate. :o

Pica Mar 30th 2018 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12473215)
Yep, they do. And very good in the actifry too.

I had a plate of crispy sweet potato fries in the hospital cafeteria about three years ago and they were magnificent.

But even droopy, they are sufficiently different to ordinary chips. I also like having a different colour on my plate. :o

Try a different coloured plate or tinted sunglasses

BristolUK Mar 30th 2018 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Pica (Post 12473331)
Try a different coloured plate or tinted sunglasses

:lol:
Or drugs?

Maybe one of these

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/im...ersion=3.1.141

Pica Mar 30th 2018 9:49 pm

Now- one of my favourite things are kaleidoscopes! How clever of you :)

BristolUK Apr 1st 2018 9:22 pm

Mother in law's traditional former Christmas Eve dinner split into two.

Meatball ragout and potatoes yesterday and Chicken Pie today.
The family used to have this on xmas eve - but no special xmas day dinner - before I came on the scene.

BristolUK Apr 7th 2018 9:39 pm

Big Prawns and sea scallops cooked in garlic butter and washed down with a Chardonnay. Would have preferred the dry Alsace Riesling but couldn't get to a liquor store to get some in.

Very satisfying, in a primitive sort of way, having to 'peel' the prawns.

At a dollar a scallop, I'd prefer it if my stepson was more than 'meh' when asked how he thought they compared to the smaller, cheaper, bay scallops. :ohmy:

Coming after Man City threw away a two goal lead to lose to ManU, having lost heavily to Liverpool the other night, a very satisfying birthday. :nod:

caretaker Apr 8th 2018 12:32 am

Butter chicken, basmati rice and salad.

BristolUK Apr 8th 2018 9:08 pm

Roast Lamb.

Really must get some mint sauce before we have the next one. It was a late decision as stepdaughter came home with two more to add to the others in the freezer - it's been cheap, we stocked up.

I left one in the fridge for today but nobody had been to anywhere to get some mint.