Teatime Choices

Old Jan 11th 2018, 7:33 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teatime Choices

I've just been getting over an extremely heavy cold so last night made a big pot of chicken soup a la Jings, comprising chicken thighs, my own stock, onions, garlic, ginger, chili, carrots, white and black peppercorns, beetroot, parsnip, coriander... it is as delicious and warming and spicy as you would expect for a cold January night.

My compliments to the chef, oh why thank you very much!
Old Jan 11th 2018, 7:48 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
my own stock
Cannibalism! I knew it was just a matter of time.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 8:06 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
...chicken soup a la Jings, comprising chicken thighs, my own stock, onions, garlic, ginger, chili, carrots, white and black peppercorns, beetroot, parsnip, coriander... it is as delicious and warming and spicy as you would expect for a cold January night.
Beetroot?
Old Jan 11th 2018, 11:47 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Good news. Presidents Choice now has a range of frozen pies, "heat and go" , 2 1/2 mins in the microwave in a special wee bag.

Very acceptable, but at over $6 a pair, not exactly cheap food.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 12:02 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
Good news. Presidents Choice now has a range of frozen pies, "heat and go" , 2 1/2 mins in the microwave in a special wee bag.

Very acceptable, but at over $6 a pair, not exactly cheap food.
I've seen them but when I pick up the box I swear it's empty.

-------------------------------

Nice curry tonight. Spare pork chop (the big one with a bone in the middle) from a 99c lb pack, cut up. Mushrooms, onion, leftover green beans, curry powder, little beef powder, loads of golden sultanas and a little water. Cooked through and then one tin of condensed cream of mushroom added until all mixed and hot.

It's very like the Chinese take-away curries back in the UK (although not like the crappy one in Totterdown).

Served with potato and carrot mash and a few slices of banana.

Delish.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 12:14 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

-------------------------------

Nice curry tonight. Spare pork chop (the big one with a bone in the middle) from a 99c lb pack, cut up. Mushrooms, onion, leftover green beans, curry powder, little beef powder, loads of golden sultanas and a little water. Cooked through and then one tin of condensed cream of mushroom added until all mixed and hot.
It's very like the Chinese take-away curries back in the UK (although not like the crappy one in Totterdown).
Served with potato and carrot mash and a few slices of banana.
Delish.
I might try this to get a sense of that take-away. What cracked me up is this:
"curry powder, little beef powder, loads of golden sultanas and a little water"
I get it, but some may not. When someone asks how much a little is, ask them how big the pork chop was.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 12:22 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by caretaker
I might try this to get a sense of that take-away. What cracked me up is this:
"curry powder, little beef powder, loads of golden sultanas and a little water"
I get it, but some may not. When someone asks how much a little is, ask them how big the pork chop was.
I have two rules.

Prior to adding the cream of mushroom, the mushrooms are the last thing to be added. If they take on a hint of green, the mix is just right. If they don't then it needs a bit more curry powder.

I only want to add the one small tin (as two tins smother the flavour) and too much water means adding more or it's too runny. I have been known to add one and a bit tins or two tins if it's an enormous pot.

The golden sultanas are my own addition, though. I never had a Chines Curry with them.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 12:33 am
Stand-up Philosopher

I've used seedless green grapes instead of raisins and that works too.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 12:55 am
Oscar nominated

I've used seedless green grapes instead of raisins and that works too.
Now you mention it I think I remember that. I must try it, especially if they stay full size.

Does it work in other dishes? Say something that apricots would work in?
Old Jan 12th 2018, 12:56 am
Stand-up Philosopher

That's the wrong way around. A small dollop of ketchup in the runny yolk is the way it should be.
Mixing it into a swirl is optional.
When you put the ketchup on, the yolks are still intact, so it's like putting the pupils in the eyes.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 1:09 am
Oscar nominated

When you put the ketchup on, the yolks are still intact, so it's like putting the pupils in the eyes.
I was expecting that to relate to grapes and the first thing that I saw was ketchup.

They must be jaundiced eyes.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 1:14 am
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

True. A fourpack of tescos steak and kidney this is not.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 6:09 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Fish and chip Friday special and a Pilsner at the Serbian Club, very good.
A "fish supper" in the parlance, and very popular Friday night fare in Scotland and (I think) the North.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 6:21 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by Shard
A "fish supper" in the parlance, and very popular Friday night fare in Scotland and (I think) the North.
Whoops wrong thread!
Old Jan 12th 2018, 7:41 pm
Oscar nominated

Whoops wrong thread!
I ad a moment of deja vu there...apart from the missing beer.

KFC tonight. You can order by the piece rather than take your chances on the multiples. I don't mind whether I get a left or a right one but I have a major, major, preference for thigh while the others are happy with drumstick.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.