Take it or leave it?

Old Mar 17th 2008, 9:21 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Take it or leave it?

Originally Posted by gloveman
Our removers packed everything for us and wouldn't take anything connected to soil. We took mountain bikes which had to be thoroughly cleaned and their tyres removed. We took wooden patio furniture but again it had to be thoroughly cleaned. We couldn't bring things like the bird bath, bird feed table etc. The shippers said that if certain things showed up on the list of items being shipped, it could give them an excuse to open the container involving costs and time delays.
O NO, my daughter wanted her bird table as she has really got into feeding the wild birds Looks like that will be on the list to buy now...
What about kitchen spices ??
i have a large selection of baking and cooking spices, is that best to take in your suitcase or will it be ok in the container??
Old Mar 17th 2008, 10:36 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Bring everything. Especially bring everything that's boring. Trudging around buying new dishtowels, toilet roll holders, Bendix spring compressors, cat litter boxes, hoof picks, car washing sponges, ear syringes and cocktail shakers is tedious and expensive.
ear syringes & cocktail shakers - odd combo !!!!
Old Mar 17th 2008, 11:05 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Bring everything. Especially bring everything that's boring. Trudging around buying new dishtowels, toilet roll holders, Bendix spring compressors, cat litter boxes, hoof picks, car washing sponges, ear syringes and cocktail shakers is tedious and expensive.

So true dbd33. Keep all your newly converted $$$$ for buying all your new electricals
Old Mar 17th 2008, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gloveman
Our removers packed everything for us and wouldn't take anything connected to soil. We took mountain bikes which had to be thoroughly cleaned and their tyres removed. We took wooden patio furniture but again it had to be thoroughly cleaned. We couldn't bring things like the bird bath, bird feed table etc. The shippers said that if certain things showed up on the list of items being shipped, it could give them an excuse to open the container involving costs and time delays.
We had the same experience
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 12:54 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daft batty
We bought almost all of our house in a container for £3000 ....I dont see how you can replace this for under $3000.
Before final plans were made I got 3 estimates of what it would cost to ship/store all my stuff. They were all higher than the UK cost of replacing everything that was involved.

Since the replacement of equivalent items was less in Canada, it cost me less to replace it all than it would have done to ship it all.

Perhaps I didn't have enough and it was disproportionately more.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 7:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Before final plans were made I got 3 estimates of what it would cost to ship/store all my stuff. They were all higher than the UK cost of replacing everything that was involved.

Since the replacement of equivalent items was less in Canada, it cost me less to replace it all than it would have done to ship it all.

We are being quoted £5-6,000 still think its worth the cost though, also think it will help everyone settle in with some familiar things especially the children.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

I am trying to think whether it would have cost less to replace than to ship, so around $7000 at this end to buy everything new. Its all the little fiddly things that inflate the spending, not the big bits of furniture. All the china and kitchen stuff, linens, glassess, I can see your point, and its brought home when you work out the insurance estimate for you belongings. Ours was definitely more than the shipping costs. Plus we have some irreplaceable pieces of furniture that my father made, so they had to be shipped.

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
We are being quoted £5-6,000 still think its worth the cost though, also think it will help everyone settle in with some familiar things especially the children.
Yes, theres a lot of truth in that. It was so nice to have familiar things around us, and our furniture fits into the house just fine.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

well i wouldnt' take anything you don't like for starters!

i've got about 25 boxes of stuff (10 in the to ebay pile already) so i'm coming over with baggage and excess baggage and a snake

I'd advise if you have a container to fill it, but not to take anything you dont' like.

If you're travelling like me...take a long hard look as to if you like that pack of envelops.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

Tracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud of

We have decided to take everything as it would cost us much more to buy again in Canada.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

fedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nice

the company paid for a full container so we had the attitude to fill it to the rafters and even bought new sofas for the new house in Canada to take with us. Have heard a half a container is not a lot less than a whole one.

However, the best piece of advice I got from a friend who did the same move was to take absolutely everything (obviously not electricals, although I held on to my little stereo for the kitchen and bought a converter) with you. This has paid off dividends. All I had to buy when we first got here (moved into rented) was an iron, some new pots and pans (mine had literally fallen apart in the UK), hoover, new TV's.

The bedding is not the same size. I bought new duvets for the kids but these are too big for their single size duvet covers from the UK. So we all still have our original bedding, pillows, (these are a different size in Canada), pillowcases, linens, towels, toys, bikes, garden furniture, lawn mower, paddling pool, desks, chairs, sofas, tables, knives and forks the lot. So we can gradually buy new over the years when appropriate as just settling in is a non stop spending spree going on forever. The stuff is better quality over here but some things can be more expensive. We literally dumped our bags, bought a boat and spent the whole summer on the river instead of shopping malls.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 10:39 am
Happy here..

Eve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by daft batty
I am trying to think whether it would have cost less to replace than to ship, so around $7000 at this end to buy everything new. Its all the little fiddly things that inflate the spending, not the big bits of furniture. All the china and kitchen stuff, linens, glassess, I can see your point, and its brought home when you work out the insurance estimate for you belongings. Ours was definitely more than the shipping costs. Plus we have some irreplaceable pieces of furniture that my father made, so they had to be shipped.

Yes, theres a lot of truth in that. It was so nice to have familiar things around us, and our furniture fits into the house just fine.

Well after all the posts,gonna take eveything even the kitchen sink,my dear old butler.Shame about flowers pots and birdtable stuff,will try giving them a scrub and putting them inside see what the movers say!
Thanks guys
Old Mar 27th 2008, 10:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fedupwithwaiting
the company paid for a full container so we had the attitude to fill it to the rafters and even bought new sofas for the new house in Canada to take with us. Have heard a half a container is not a lot less than a whole one.

However, the best piece of advice I got from a friend who did the same move was to take absolutely everything (obviously not electricals, although I held on to my little stereo for the kitchen and bought a converter) with you. This has paid off dividends. All I had to buy when we first got here (moved into rented) was an iron, some new pots and pans (mine had literally fallen apart in the UK), hoover, new TV's.

The bedding is not the same size. I bought new duvets for the kids but these are too big for their single size duvet covers from the UK. So we all still have our original bedding, pillows, (these are a different size in Canada), pillowcases, linens, towels, toys, bikes, garden furniture, lawn mower, paddling pool, desks, chairs, sofas, tables, knives and forks the lot. So we can gradually buy new over the years when appropriate as just settling in is a non stop spending spree going on forever. The stuff is better quality over here but some things can be more expensive. We literally dumped our bags, bought a boat and spent the whole summer on the river instead of shopping malls.
What a great idea, how lovely to go straight of like that, mmmm got me thinking now we would love a house on the water, have been advised to buy one by moving water because of mosies
Did you have any problems with your container being opened i have been told if we take stuff from the garden they will inspect the container costing us more money ?

Funny i will be taking towels back there that we brought when on holiday there last year they have little dogs on i know very sad