Take it or leave it?

Old Mar 16th 2008, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Take it or leave it?

We spent £800 sending stuff over this was 2 months ago we ve probably all ready bought duplicates as we cannot wait any longer for our belongings! Expected to arrive April! If i could turn back time i would have just sent over very personal stuff and replaced the rest! As Bazz said Ikea is here and probably even cheaper than the UK.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottymallo
We spent £800 sending stuff over this was 2 months ago we ve probably all ready bought duplicates as we cannot wait any longer for our belongings! Expected to arrive April! If i could turn back time i would have just sent over very personal stuff and replaced the rest! As Bazz said Ikea is here and probably even cheaper than the UK.
IKEA is the same price here as the UK, its cheaper in the USA if you live near enough.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 4:09 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daft batty
Take everything you can get in the container. Its a pain having to replace it when you get here and it costs a fortune.

I bought 3 seater sofas, brand new, for well under what I paid for 2 seaters in England 5 years before. And those 2 seaters were a bargain.

Dining chairs were the same in $ as £, a dining table for 6 was three quarters what I paid for a smaller one in Bristol.

Our TV was much less than I'd paid in the UK. Computers, laptops, cookers....all cheaper here.

Just about the only household items that seem more here are insurance and beds...by the time you add rails and headboard.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

I bought 3 seater sofas, brand new, for well under what I paid for 2 seaters in England 5 years before. And those 2 seaters were a bargain.

Dining chairs were the same in $ as £, a dining table for 6 was three quarters what I paid for a smaller one in Bristol.

Our TV was much less than I'd paid in the UK. Computers, laptops, cookers....all cheaper here.

Just about the only household items that seem more here are insurance and beds...by the time you add rails and headboard.
I am confused too. We bought almost all of our house in a container for £3000Two settees, dining table, chairs, dresser, cabinets, one bed base, chest of drawers, bookshelves, clothes, bedside tables, coffee tables, cabinets, ornaments, pictures, books, china, crockery, kitchen stuff, plates, pans, pillows, duvets, bed linen, etc etc.

The laptop and one lamp were the only electrical things we bought with us. Laptops probably are cheaper here but as they are so portable then why dump something perfectly good? We bought TVs here very cheaply for sure, DVD player, radio-alarm, toasters etc, they were all cheap.

I dont see how you can replace this for under $3000.

I have seen settees that would compare in style and quality for maybe $600 each. The table we have is solid oak, havent seen anything cheap that would substitute. The chairs were cheap from MFI but cost twice the amount we paid for them in IKEA for the same style.

Cookers, fridges, washing machines, all cost $$$ here (Ontario), and you need to budget for them.

To me it makes sense if you have space in the container then put as much in as possible then you can replace things as and when you need to. If you have spare cash, and really really want new stuff then dump it.

Once you have been somewhere a while you will know the shops better and be able to find the styles and prices that suit you rather than having to buy stuff in the few shops you find easily.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 10:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
ok - sothe Ikea mattresses I have over here in Uk wont fit ikea linene brought in Canada ...??
Carrie im taking lots of bedding for our beds white company and Laura Ashley as well as Ikea, and will buy more on each visit or get folks to bring it out when visiting, We aren't taking all our beds and will buy new beds and bedding there when we know what we want, esp as we are planning on renting first.

I want to take some of our kitchen appliances as they are good quality ie mixer and toaster but not sure they will work even with adapters ? anyone there any advice ?
Old Mar 16th 2008, 10:33 am
Happy here..

Eve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud of

I am confused too. We bought almost all of our house in a container for £3000Two settees, dining table, chairs, dresser, cabinets, one bed base, chest of drawers, bookshelves, clothes, bedside tables, coffee tables, cabinets, ornaments, pictures, books, china, crockery, kitchen stuff, plates, pans, pillows, duvets, bed linen, etc etc.

The laptop and one lamp were the only electrical things we bought with us. Laptops probably are cheaper here but as they are so portable then why dump something perfectly good? We bought TVs here very cheaply for sure, DVD player, radio-alarm, toasters etc, they were all cheap.

I dont see how you can replace this for under $3000.

I have seen settees that would compare in style and quality for maybe $600 each. The table we have is solid oak, havent seen anything cheap that would substitute. The chairs were cheap from MFI but cost twice the amount we paid for them in IKEA for the same style.

Cookers, fridges, washing machines, all cost $$$ here (Ontario), and you need to budget for them.

To me it makes sense if you have space in the container then put as much in as possible then you can replace things as and when you need to. If you have spare cash, and really really want new stuff then dump it.

Once you have been somewhere a while you will know the shops better and be able to find the styles and prices that suit you rather than having to buy stuff in the few shops you find easily.
I agree.Its easy to get into the mindset new country, new stuff, taking this chance to start afresh. I do see the point that after a while the novelty wears off, going out to buy shiny new stuff, when you tot up the price maybe not so much fun.Looking at the comments I will look at it differently and bring out what I can.Was going to leave the beds behind but might take them now and just stock up on the linen for them.I will be going to NS so no Ikea there.As for the garden stuff my lovely expensive pots and wooden barrels (one of which OH made into a little pond with goldfish) havent been on the lawn mainly on my terrace.If I give them a good scrub and move them into the gargage would the movers take them?
Thanks for comments guys keep em coming...
Old Mar 16th 2008, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Eve N
I agree.Its easy to get into the mindset new country, new stuff, taking this chance to start afresh. I do see the point that after a while the novelty wears off, going out to buy shiny new stuff, when you tot up the price maybe not so much fun.Looking at the comments I will look at it differently and bring out what I can.Was going to leave the beds behind but might take them now and just stock up on the linen for them.I will be going to NS so no Ikea there.As for the garden stuff my lovely expensive pots and wooden barrels (one of which OH made into a little pond with goldfish) havent been on the lawn mainly on my terrace.If I give them a good scrub and move them into the gargage would the movers take them?
I put some of the garden pots inside, and the removal men didnt question those. So if you can disguise them as indoor things, do you have a conservatory to put them in???
Old Mar 16th 2008, 4:34 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

IKEA is the same price here as the UK, its cheaper in the USA if you live near enough.
hmm - but if we drive to us get ikea stuff and then drive back to C will custome not query it??
Old Mar 16th 2008, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
hmm - but if we drive to us get ikea stuff and then drive back to C will custome not query it??
yes, and you pay tax, but its still cheaper. Have a look at the websites and compare prices.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 9:06 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

AAAAAGH teenage daughter driving me mad - can I leave her pl . . . .
Old Mar 16th 2008, 9:51 pm
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

yup - save's at least one plane fare! However, not able to take so much baggage. Does it balance out?
Old Mar 16th 2008, 9:52 pm
half a century

Originally Posted by pinkmcfarquhar
yup - save's at least one plane fare! However, not able to take so much baggage. Does it balance out?
yay = my chance of going club class looks more likkely
Old Mar 16th 2008, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Eve N
As for the garden stuff my lovely expensive pots and wooden barrels (one of which OH made into a little pond with goldfish) havent been on the lawn mainly on my terrace.If I give them a good scrub and move them into the gargage would the movers take them?
Not sure if this is of any help but one piece of advice we were given regarding items kept outside/garden/shed was to make sure it was thoroughly washed (pressure washered) and wiped over in Jeyes Fluid. By all accounts Customs recognise the Jeyes smell and are less likely to inspect the container - or so our source informs us!

Lynne
Old Mar 16th 2008, 10:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Bring everything. Especially bring everything that's boring. Trudging around buying new dishtowels, toilet roll holders, Bendix spring compressors, cat litter boxes, hoof picks, car washing sponges, ear syringes and cocktail shakers is tedious and expensive.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 5:20 am

gloveman is an unknown quantity at this point

I put some of the garden pots inside, and the removal men didnt question those. So if you can disguise them as indoor things, do you have a conservatory to put them in???
Our removers packed everything for us and wouldn't take anything connected to soil. We took mountain bikes which had to be thoroughly cleaned and their tyres removed. We took wooden patio furniture but again it had to be thoroughly cleaned. We couldn't bring things like the bird bath, bird feed table etc. The shippers said that if certain things showed up on the list of items being shipped, it could give them an excuse to open the container involving costs and time delays.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.