Take it or leave it?

Old Mar 15th 2008, 4:54 pm
Happy here..

Eve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud of
Default Take it or leave it?

I will be packing soon.Boxes are ready and I'm looking around me wondering how on earth I am going to decide what I give away/sell and what I take with me.
The broom?
The metal cupboard in the garage that I hate?
The flowers pots in the garden?
The ironing board?
What did you not take that you regret?

Thanks!
Old Mar 15th 2008, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Take it or leave it?

Originally Posted by Eve N
I will be packing soon.Boxes are ready and I'm looking around me wondering how on earth I am going to decide what I give away/sell and what I take with me.
The broom?
The ironing board?

Thanks!
Take everything you can get in the container. Its a pain having to replace it when you get here and it costs a fortune.

We didnt bring the garden stuff as the removal men wouldnt pack it.

Our removals company insisted on packing everything so we didnt do any of our own apart from 3 small boxes that they insisted on unpacking and repacking.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 5:14 pm
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

Take:

Bedding
Bedding
Bedding (v. expensive here in comparison)
all the fiddly things from the kitchen it takes ages to replace (grater, tin opener, whisk, ..........................)
CD's -especially old favourites - we got rid of a heap of ours, and now regret a wee bit (although i do have them on itunes!) but it's not the same
DVD's

Hope that helps a wee bit.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 5:30 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pinkmcfarquhar
Take:

Bedding
Bedding
Bedding (v. expensive here in comparison)
I hadn't thought bedding here in Canada was that expensive.

What do they in the UK? Give it away?
Old Mar 15th 2008, 5:49 pm
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P

What do they in the UK? Give it away?
Not quite but you could get some nice sets there for a fraction of the price you pay over here, and also the colours/patterns were much better.

We brought a lot of bedding over with us but, of course, the bed sizes are different. Relations did give us a 'full' bed which is the equivalent of a double in the UK and I have lots of bedding for that, but we bought two queen size beds and even our UK king size duvets are a bit small for it. I havent found anything I really like but did buy a duvet cover with two pillowcases from Ikea at a fraction of the price they sell for in places like Sears or the Bay, and they are good quality and wash very well.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 5:55 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Me neither. We got ours from Ikea and it was dirt cheap.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 6:01 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodmanbg
Not quite but you could get some nice sets there for a fraction of the price you pay over here, and also the colours/patterns were much better.

We brought a lot of bedding over with us but, of course, the bed sizes are different. Relations did give us a 'full' bed which is the equivalent of a double in the UK and I have lots of bedding for that, but we bought two queen size beds and even our UK king size duvets are a bit small for it. I havent found anything I really like but did buy a duvet cover with two pillowcases from Ikea at a fraction of the price they sell for in places like Sears or the Bay, and they are good quality and wash very well.
Last time I was in England I bought 3 duvet sets, and can only say you get what you pay for. None of it stands up to washing very well. So it may be cheaper, but not necessarily better.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 6:02 pm

gloveman is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably best to leave the flower pots behind - anything to do with soil is a big no no. We brought everything we could and are so glad we did. Shopping for new stuff starts off as being fun but the novelty very quickly wears off.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 6:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gloveman
Probably best to leave the flower pots behind - anything to do with soil is a big no no. We brought everything we could and are so glad we did. Shopping for new stuff starts off as being fun but the novelty very quickly wears off.
What about teak table and chairs, never been on soil always on the patio ?
Old Mar 15th 2008, 7:39 pm
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
What about teak table and chairs, never been on soil always on the patio ?

We brought ours over, they were mostly on our patio but sometimes moved onto the lawn.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 7:41 pm
Arrived at last!!

Originally Posted by gloveman
Never thought I would say I was fed up with shopping but my daughter and I thought the Home Depot was becoming our first home closely followed by Canadian Tire.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 8:04 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eve N
The broom?
The ironing board?

Thanks!
If you will have to replace them in Canada then take them with you in your container and save yourself some money.

FYI I found flower pots here really expensive - some are $60 or more each.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 10:03 pm
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
Me neither. We got ours from Ikea and it was dirt cheap.
ah, but some of us live on a wee island, and the nearest ikea is a long way away via road, ferry, more road!
Old Mar 15th 2008, 10:03 pm
Fluffy Dippindoodle

Never thought I would say I was fed up with shopping but my daughter and I thought the Home Depot was becoming our first home closely followed by Canadian Tire.
ditto
Old Mar 15th 2008, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

We brought ours over, they were mostly on our patio but sometimes moved onto the lawn.
cheers woodmanbg we only brought it last year so really would like to bring it
did you have any problems with your movers with anything you wanted to bring ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.