British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Tabacco (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/tabacco-911802/)

tinabootes Apr 17th 2018 5:22 pm

Tabacco

Not sure if I have put this on the right section, We have not long moved over to BC Canada and my husband needs help IN buying Tabacco.
I know he shouldn't smoke but there are lots of things people shouldn't do, but still do.
In England he used Golden Virginia but can't get that over here, was just wondering what everyone else uses. He was told to try Drum but that's $50 per pack.
THANKS

Danny B Apr 17th 2018 5:24 pm

Re: Tabacco

Do you live near the US border?

BristolUK Apr 17th 2018 5:35 pm

That's a new one :)

Try this.

KEOPS Golden Virginia

Searching for the famous Green British Golden Virginia tobacco in Canada? Goodfellas has your solution! Keops Golden Virginia is a direct copy of the famous British rolling tobacco and when tested side by side, no perceivable difference can be found.
Goodfellas RYO Fixings

There's also mention of Goodfellas House Golden Virginia at the same place

dbd33 Apr 17th 2018 5:44 pm

Are you near an indian reservation?

Souvy Apr 17th 2018 6:01 pm

So, the suggestions so far are smuggling across the border or buying illegal Indian stuff (which is a bit rough, I'm told).

Two good ways to get deported.

dbd33 Apr 17th 2018 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Souvy (Post 12483576)
So, the suggestions so far are smuggling across the border or buying illegal Indian stuff (which is a bit rough, I'm told).

There's no need to smuggle across the border, it's a legal product, you can just pay the tax at the border. The US just offers more choice.

I think indian tobacco must be somehow legal, there's enough of it about.

Partially discharged Apr 17th 2018 6:17 pm

I'm not a smoker but I've never heard good things about the products sold on Indian reserves.

If you really want the true experience head to the Indian reserve in New York state across from Cornwall. Gas at about $0.90/litre, cheap indian smokes and liquor brands you didn't know existed.

Danny B Apr 17th 2018 7:03 pm

Or you could try and convert the old man to a vape.

All You Need to Know about Vaping Nicotine - Vaping360

Novocastrian Apr 17th 2018 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by tinabootes (Post 12483545)
Not sure if I have put this on the right section, We have not long moved over to BC Canada and my husband needs help IN buying Tabacco.
I know he shouldn't smoke but there are lots of things people shouldn't do, but still do.
In England he used Golden Virginia but can't get that over here, was just wondering what everyone else uses. He was told to try Drum but that's $50 per pack.
THANKS

I'm just wondering if your husband can spell tobacco better than you? If not he'll have problem finding it.

Or perhaps he's addicted to tabasco?

uk_grenada Apr 17th 2018 8:08 pm

You might even be able to grow it. Easy to buy leaves and seeds in the us. NB check carefully, dried tobacco leaves are often not classed as smoking material as they need further processing before consumption [need to remove veins and cut up] and are therefore either duty free or much reduced. In the eu its duty free.

tinabootes Apr 17th 2018 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12483547)
Do you live near the US border?

I wish, no sorry about 3 hrs drive

tinabootes Apr 17th 2018 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12483643)
I'm just wondering if your husband can spell tobacco better than you? If not he'll have problem finding it.

Or perhaps he's addicted to tabasco?

😂😂 only just notice, a wish he was addicted to Tabasco it would be cheaper 😀

uk_grenada Apr 17th 2018 8:13 pm

Theres a great loop hole in the uk, bulgaria produces tobacco and loads of it came into the uk duty free. Eventually 11 tons of it arrived in a lorry and hmrc couldnt contain their enthusiasm and confiscated it.

It was outside their mandate, they had no right, but the bulgarians didnt fight it in court so they didnt get compensated, but the authorities know that if you import unprocessed leaves, they can only claim duty when you process then sell it, and if you dont sell it...

uk_grenada Apr 17th 2018 8:16 pm

Ive used these people, very good service.

https://www.leafonly.com/cigar-tobac...tobacco-leaves

tinabootes Apr 17th 2018 8:17 pm

Either are not a good idea when it takes that long to get residency into Canada 🤔